Most people arrive with the free ferry (timetable 2017) from Oulunsalo on the mainland. The ferry takes both cars and lighter traffic.
In the winter when the ice is strong enough it is possible to drive to the island without taking the ferry.
You can reach Hailuoto by Oulu PTA's bus number 59 from Oulu. There are a couple of buses a day, and they also cross over to the island using the cable ferry.
The public transport in Hailuoto is operated by Oulu PTA. It mainly focuses on getting customers in and out, but it can also be used for traveling inside Hailuoto.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Hailuoto
- The sand dunes and the nature.
- 1 Hailuoto church.
- 2 Marjaniemi lighthouse and wind turbine park.
- 3 Kniivilä Museum, Marjaniementie 20. Museum area of 20 buildings. The main building of Kniivilä has been preserved as it was when the last inhabitants lived there from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1970s. 2/1 €.
- 4 Hailuoto Organum, Petsamontie 328 (on Luovontie, turn to Petsamontie (sign: Ulkokarvo) and drive to the end of the road, then, in the car park, you see a signboard with information about Oreganum and directions to the site). A concrete piece of spatial art by Hai Art, built in summer 2014 in Ulkokarvo, Hailuoto.
- 5 Hailuoto Airfield (EFHL), Pölläntie 484.
- 1 Sunikari Beach, Sunikarintie.
- Bättre Folk: . A festival combining music and literature in July. (date needs fixing)
- 1 Dancing Bobcat Bar, Kittiläntie 89, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 Ravintola Frans, Marjaniementie 783 F, ☏ .
- 3 Ravintola Iltalento, Luovontie 137.
- 1 Hailuodon Huikku. A cafe at the cable ferry harbor.
- 2 [dead link] Cafe Bar Haiku, Luovontie 150. The local's "living room", in the main village next to the K-market.
- 3 Alko Order Point (Alkon tilauspalvelupiste). If you would like a bottle of something stronger than beer, the government's alcohol monopoly store operates an "order point" in the K-market store where you can order beverages to be delivered later the same day.
- 1 Luotsihotelli (Arctic Lighthouse Hotel), Marjaniementie 783, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Set in a former pilot station building located at the foot of a lighthouse, this 20-room hotel offers great views of the Bay of Bothnia from the restaurant, the terrace and most of the rooms. It offer fully accessible accommodation and food services. Pets are welcome in some of the rooms. It is also an excellent and imaginative choice for an island meeting, parties or other small-scale events.
Finland in general lacks internet cafes as most of the people have connections in their home and in their pocket, and Hailuoto is no exception. Many of the places of business do have wi-fi for customers (although it's usually called "WLAN"); ask the staff for details. For free wi-fi and internet terminals, check the 1 Hailuoto Library.
Go back to the mainland by ferry.