Get in and around
Most people arrive with the free ferry from Oulunsalo on the mainland. The ferry takes both cars and lighter traffic.
In the winter when the ice is strong enough it is possible to drive to the island without taking the ferry, by an official ice road replacing it.
- See also: Oulu#By bus 2
- See also: Western Oulu region#By taxi
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Hailuoto
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- The sand dunes and the nature.
- 1 Hailuoto church.
- 2 Hailuoto Organum, Petsamontie 328 (on Luovontie, turn to Petsamontie (sign: Ulkokarvo) and drive to the end of the road, then, in the car park, you see a signboard with information about Oreganum and directions to the site). A concrete piece of spatial art by Hai Art, built in summer 2014 in Ulkokarvo.
- 3 Keskiniemi Daymark (Keskiniemen pooki). A historic navigational aid from 1858, designed by Albin Stjerncreutz.
- 4 Kniivilä Museum, Marjaniementie 20. Museum area of 20 buildings. The main building of Kniivilä has been preserved as it was when the last inhabitants lived there from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1970s. €2/1.
- 5 Marjaniemi lighthouse. Lighthouse from 1872. A wind turbine park nearby.
- 1 Sunikari Beach, Sunikarintie.
- Bättre Folk: July. A festival combining music and literature. (date needs updating)
- 1 Dancing Bobcat Bar, Kittiläntie 89, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 Ravintola Frans, Marjaniementie 783 F, ☏ .
- 3 Ravintola Iltalento, Luovontie 137, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. F–Sa 22:00–04:00.
- 1 Hailuodon Huikku. A café at the ferry harbour.
- 2 [dead link] Cafe Bar Haiku, Luovontie 150 (in the main village next to the K-market). The locals' "living room".
- 3 Alko Order Point (Alkon tilauspalvelupiste). If you would like a bottle of something stronger than beer, the government's alcohol monopoly store operates an "order point" in the K-market store where you can order beverages to be delivered later the same day.
- 1 Luotsihotelli (Arctic Lighthouse Hotel), Marjaniementie 783, ☏ , email@example.com. Set in a former pilot station building located at the foot of a lighthouse, this 20-room hotel offers great views of the Bay of Bothnia from the restaurant, the terrace and most of the rooms. It offer fully accessible accommodation and food services. Pets are welcome in some of the rooms. It is also an excellent and imaginative choice for an island meeting, parties or other small-scale events.
- 1 Hailuoto Health Centre (Hailuodon terveyskeskus), Kaunakaupungintie 1, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go back to the mainland by ferry.