The Western Oulu region is in Northern Finland and consists of the western (coastal) part of Northern Ostrobothnia.
- 1 Hailuoto
- 2 Ii - yes, the name of the town really is "Ii"
Oulu is by far the most important transportation hub of the northern part of the country. The airport is one of the busiest with direct connections to Helsinki and abroad, all trains and most buses from Lapland to the south and west pass through the area and in addition to that, the track to Kajaani connects Oulu to the eastern parts of the country. Places along highways 4 straight south and 8 along the coast, most places in Lapland and some eastern destinations like Kuopio and Joensuu can be reached by direct bus from Oulu. For other destinations - most of them within a 200km radius can be reached by at least one daily direct bus from Oulu.
Trains of national operator VR are possible to use for travelling inside province.
Matkahuolto has a dense bus network covering most of the province.
Onnibus offers discount bus service by few routes.
- The windmill power plant park in Hailuoto
- The old town of Ii
- Oulu waterfront
- The oldest scuba gear in the world in Raahe
- See old cars at the car museum in Oulu.
- Have a beach holiday at the sand dunes of Kalajoki.
- Play air guitar at the air guitar world championships in Oulu.