The Western Oulu region is in Northern Finland and consists of the western, coastal part of Northern Ostrobothnia.
Towns and villages
- 1 Oulu city is the region's transport hub and has the most visitor amenities.
- 2 Kalajoki has long sandy beaches.
- 3 Raahe is a steel town with an old centre.
- 4 Hailuoto is a quiet island reached by ferry, or by driving across the ice in winter.
- 5 Ii - yes, the name of the town really is "Ii"
- The main villages include Kempele, Liminka, Lumijoki, Muhos, Pyhäjoki, Siikajoki and Tyrnävä.
Oulu is by far the most important transportation hub of the northern part of the country. The airport is one of the busiest with direct connections to Helsinki and abroad, all trains and most buses from Lapland to the south and west pass through the area and in addition to that, the railway to Kajaani connects Oulu to the eastern parts of the country. Places along highways 4 (E75) straight south and 8 (E8) along the coast, most places in Lapland and some eastern destinations like Kuopio and Joensuu can be reached by direct bus from Oulu. Most other destinations within a 200 km radius can be reached by at least one daily direct bus from Oulu.
Mainline VR trains run north-south through the province.
There is a dense bus network covering most of the province. Timetables available from Matkahuolto.
Google Maps includes timetables of trains, long distance buses and local transport of many cities and towns. Other useful route planners are Matka.fi for trains and local buses and Matkahuolto Reittiopas for regional buses.
- iTaksi, ☏ (high cost?), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them. €4.00/6.00+€0.90/km+€0.85/min.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Western Oulu region
- The windmill power plant park in Hailuoto
- The old town of Ii
- Oulu waterfront
- The oldest scuba gear in the world in Raahe
- See old cars at the car museum in Oulu.
- Have a beach holiday at the sand dunes of Kalajoki.
- Play air guitar at the air guitar world championships in Oulu.
- Watch birds in the world renowned Liminganlahti nature center in Liminka