Raahe is a city in the Oulu province, 74 km south of the city of Oulu. With 24,000 inhabitants in 2021, Raahe is the third largest town in the region. The town is strongly associated with the steel industry, through the huge Rautaruukki steel mill as well as Finnish rules baseball (pesäpallo) through the Pattijoki team.
In the 17th century, Raahe was an important trading centre, trading with both Sweden and Russia. Raahe was home to several trading houses, which traded to different parts of the world. The town grew rapidly and became an important economic centre.
In the 19th century, Raahe developed into an industrial town, as several factories were established in the town. With the factories, Raahe's economy grew and the town became one of the most important cities in northern Finland.
In the 20th century, Raahe's industry continued to grow, and several new factories were established in the town. The factories kept Raahe's economy strong long after the middle of the 20th century.
The highway 8 E8 running along the Finnish west coast from Tornio to Turku passes next to Raahe. Driving is the most comfortable way to get into Raahe.
The only form public transportation to Raahe is the bus, as the railway is used for goods transport only. Buses traveling on the section between Oulu and Kokkola (ie. generally from Oulu or Rovaniemi to Kokkola, Vaasa or Turku) stop at Raahe.
Ruukki (33 km (21 mi)) and Vihanti (37 km (23 mi)) are the nearest train stations on the Helsinki–Oulu railway.
Information about local buses can be found here. You can use route planner to seek local bus routes between given locations and addresses. You can also walk, since the city is very small.
See Western Oulu region#By taxi
- 1 Raahen Taksiasema, Fellmanin puistokatu 19 B 1 (bus station building), ☏ +358 100 3020.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Raahe
- 1 Raahe Church, Kirkkokatu 10, ☏ +358 8 213 2610. Built in 1912 using granite stone from the archipelago outside Raahe.
- 2 Urho Kekkonen statue, Rantapuisto. A statue of Finland's longest serving president, Urho Kekkonen.
- 3 Ruukki Steel Mill. One of the biggest steel mills in Europe, and a major employer in Raahe.
- 4 Raahen merimuseo, Rantakatu 33, ☏ +358 8 439 3335, fax: +358 8 439 3177, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 12:00-18:00, Sa Su 12:00-16:00. The sea museum of Raahe. Lots of stuff about seafaring and the oldest scuba gear in the world! adults €2, childrens, students, retired visitors €1, families €3.50, groups over 10 persons €1/person, student groups €0.50/student.
- 5 Old Raahe. Old Raahe is also worth seeing, it covers a big area from the centre and consists of very old wooden houses. The market-square in Old Raahe is the Finland's second best preserved square-shaped empire style marketplace.
- 6 Tornitalo (The tower house), Rantakatu 51. A good view over Raahe and especially over the archipelago. They have a Chinese restaurant which serves delicious Chinese food.
- 1 Bio Huvimylly, Rantakatu 7. A remarkable movie theatre!
- 2 Rännärin pesäpallostadion. In the summer season, you can go and see a match of pesäpallo - Finnish rules baseball. Pattijoen Urheilijat of the highest pesäpallo league (Superpesis) plays their home games at Rännäri field which is located in Pattijoki village, 5 km from Raahe.
- Rantajatsit: . A jazz festival in a scenic setting by the sea in late July. (date needs fixing)
Lots of flea markets all over town, check them out.
- 1 Naavalainen, Kiertotie. Handicrafts.
- 2 BRR Musiikki, Sovionkatu 13. Music store.
- 3 Raahen Musiikki, Kauppakatu 53. Music store.
- 1 Tori-Grilli, Kauppatori, ☏ +358 8 223 6824. Inside the bus station. Traditional Finnish Grill cuisine. Veggie burger is definitely worth checking out, as well as tonnari (tuna burger). You should also try out the cornerstone of Finnish Grill food, Käristemakkara.
- 2 Alto Mare, Kirkkokatu 27, ☏ +358 8 223 1886. M-Th 11:00-20:00, F 11:00-21:00, Sa 12:00-21:00, Su 12:00-20:00. A pizzeria with good pizzas but terrible service.
- 3 Take Away, Antinkankaantie 30, ☏ +358 8 221 908. According to some the best Finnish grill cuisine. The kebab in this place is rumored to be the best in Finland.
- 4 Madonna, Lappastentie 1 (opposite to the Neste gas station), ☏ +358 8 265 029. M-Th 11:00-22:00, F 11:00-00:00, Sa 16:00-00:00, Su 14:00-22:00. Competes with Take Away about the best Finnish grill cuisine title. It's just a matter of opinion.
- 5 Ararat, Kirkkokatu 22, ☏ +358 8 220 525. M-F 10:30-22:00, Sa Su 12:00-22:00. Armenian restaurant in Kirkkokatu, not very chic but the food is great. The only Armenian restaurant in northern Finland.
The hotels also have mid-range eating options.
- 1 Nuorisokahvila Cuppi (Youth Cafe Cuppi), Laivurinkatu 11B. Over 100 different coffees and very good filled rolls.
- 2 Tiina-Elina, Kauppakatu 52, ☏ +358 8 220 082. M-F 07:30-17:00, Sa 09:00-14:00. A bakery with a cafe.
Bars and pubs
- 3 [dead link] Kapteenin Kulma ja Kellari, Kirkkokatu 32.
- 4 Pub Ottopoika, Laivurinkatu 18-20, ☏ +358 8 222 888, email@example.com. Daily 09:00-14:00. Very cheap pint. Billiards table, darts, video games, jukebox, Internet.
- 5 Blues Moon, Laivurinkatu 18, ☏ +358 8 222 888, firstname.lastname@example.org. Su-Tu 22:00-03:00, W-Sa 22:00-04:00. No blues in music selections, only in the people. Be careful.
- 6 Night Club Gina, Laivurinkatu 15, ☏ +358 8 221 288. W-Sa 21:00-04:00.
- 1 [dead link] SFC Lohenpyrstö, Lohenpyrstöntie 53, Pattijoki. A trailer park at the shore, some kilometers north of Raahe.
- 2 Ravintola-hotelli Tiiranlinna, Uimahallintie 4, ☏ +358 8 840 3100. 24 hr. The price includes a ticket to the nearby swimming centre Vesipekka, WiFi in the room and breakfast.
- 3 Ravintola-hotelli Raahen Hovi, Kirkkokatu 28, ☏ +358 8 211 6400, email@example.com. 24 hr. In the city centre.
- Kalajoki — A town known for its sand beaches and a water amusement park.
- Oulu — The largest city in northern Finland.
|Routes through Raahe|
|Kokkola ← Kalajoki ←||SW NE||→ Liminka → Oulu|