Harkány (Croatian: Harkanj) is a town in Baranya county, Transdanubia. 25 km south of Pécs, famous spa town in the foothills of the Villány Mountains. Harkány has been welcoming those wishing to relax and to be healed since 1824. It has 3400 residents, but it has far more inhabitants in the summer season. The gold of Baranya county, the medicinal water of Harkány, with its reputed beneficial effect, the 2000-year-old wine-growing area, the Mediterranean-like atmosphere of Szársomlyó hill, and the River Drava are all draws for the visitor.
There are archeological evidence in the environs have revealed finds from the Hunnish, Avar and Roman ages. Written sources first mention it in 1323 with the name "Harkan". The origin of the name can be traced back to the Hungarian bird name "harkály" (woodpecker) on the one hand, and to the old Hungarian dignitary name "horka" on the other. One of the first owner was, Pálffy György, the lieutenant general of Temesvár, the Gara-family. Later proprietors of the castle of Siklós were: the Batthányi-family and the Benyovszki-family. It was an inhabited area under the Turkish occupation of Hungary. Beside the Hungarian population German, Croatian, Serbian and Slovakian families have been settled here since the middle of the previous century.
The curative effect of the water of Harkany was discovered in 1823 completely accidentally. The first two wells were bored by Vilmos Zsigmond in 1866 and in 1887. The first pool was opened in 1925. It is medically proven that the water and mud lends itself particularly well to the medication of rheumatic illnesses. Drinking cure is a potent remedy of catarrhal ailments.
From Budapest take M6 motorway and take the exit of Villány and Bóly. From here take M60 motorway towards Pécs. From Pécs take road 58 towards Harkány.
- 1 MOL petrol station (MOL Töltőállomás), Harkány, Pécsi út 1/1 (North of the Center near to Munkácsy Mihály street), ☏ , (mobile), fax: . 06:00-22:00. Services: shop, coffee machine, Hungarian motorway vignette can be purchased, bike point, bike products (biker's tool kit, pump head). Bankcard and cash euro accept.
The town has no train station. The nearest one is in Pécs.
Not far from the Pécs train station is the bus station. Buses run from there to Harkány every 30 minutes.
- 1 Pecz (Autóbuszállomás Harkány), Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca 1. (Downtown, a hundred meter away from the Spa), ☏ . Budapest (daily direct bus 4 hours, 250 km) via Pécs, Szekszárd, Dunaújváros, or (daily direct bus 4 hr 20 min, 280 km) via Siklós, Villány, Mohács, Szekszárd, Dunaújváros, served by Volánbusz. More option with change in Pécs. Pécs and Siklós (hourly or so, from morning till evening). Pannon Volan website. To Mohács (at least daily four direct, 1 hr 10 mins to 2 hr 16 min). Drávaszabolcs (3-5 per day, 6 km southward).
- 1 Tourinform Harkány (Harkány Tourism Association, Tourinform Iroda Harkány), Kossuth Lajos utca 2 (Downtown. Ady Endre street corner), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 08:00-16:00. In the Culture House. Spoken languages: English, French, German, Italian. Ask information about the town and surroundings, spa, accommodation and leisure activities. Postcards, maps, souvenirs, and handmade goods are sold here. Next door is the Culture House where you can see a small palaeontological exhibition. Cash only.
- Mecsek Tours Travel Agency (Mecsek Tours Utazási Iroda), 7815 Harkány, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca 6. T: +36 72 580 982, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, open: M-F 08:00-16:00
- Thermal Travel Office (Thermal Travel Utazási Iroda), 7815 Harkány, Kossuth Lajos utca 7. Tel: +36 72 580115, E-mail: email@example.com. Open M-F 08:30-12:00 & 17:30-20:30; Sa 08:30-12:00
- 1 Heart of Jesus Catholic Church (Jézus Szíve Katolikus Templom), Ady Endre utca 3. (Corner of Kossuth Lajos utca), ☏ . Every day from 09:00 to partially open to visitors. In winter 15:30-18:00, summer: 17:30-20:00.. A chapel built in 1906, neo-Romanesque and Gothic style, it was the forerunner of today's Catholic Church. Consecrated in honor of Sacred Heart of Jesus. By the mid 1980s, it became necessary to expand the chapel (capacity about 100 people). The new church was built in modern style according the plans of József Holczer, control by the parish priest of Máriagyűd, vicar Ferenc Hopp. The renovated church is six times bigger; church consecration took place in October 1988. Laszlo Morvai enamel works 'Stages'can be see out on wall of the temple. In the churchyard is the 'Hungarian history' exhibition (daily 09:00-20:00).
- 2 Reformed church (Református templom), Kossuth Lajos utca 64. (Opp. Post Office), ☏ . The Reformed Church built in the late Baroque and Copf style, in 1802. In the spa town's main street, Kossuth Lajos utca. This church receives national registry and protection. Mihaly Sztárai bust (played significant role in the local Reformed community in the 16th century) can be found next to the temple building.
- 3 Reformed Church of Terehegy (Terehegyi református templom), Terehegyi u. 1/A (Northwest part of the Town), ☏ . This cultural monument church built in 1798. Located on a small hill in Terehegy district. One of the nice sample of the local Hungarian church architecture. In southern Baranya County (called Ormánság) are typical the similar Reformed churches, they are characterized by: mostly in the late 18th century and early 19th century were built, and represent the late baroque and neoclassical architecture of the village, fit into the landscape, mostly built in the axis of the highway with pointed towers, visible from afar, all are national monuments. The Calvinist Puritan conception banished from the church the carved and painted pictures, nor representation of the human body, and only tolerated the whitewashed walls. Oddly enough, here in the Ormánság the image, the decoration yet returned to the Protestant churches. Paintings can be see on the wooden ceiling, the balustrade of choir, side of pews and top of the preaching chair. These paintings are made in the late 18th century and early 19th century. Works of local or migrating painter-carpenters and Guild craftsmen. The artist worked mostly by using sample book, but added their personal taste, imagination, talent. The organ in 18th century (origin Pécsvárad) is unrivaled in Europe. The pews made iin Baroque style. The church was renovated in 1988.
- 4 Futó László Pál Museum (Futó László Pál Múzeum), Szent István u. 40. (North of Ametiszt Hotel Harkány), ☏ . Tu-Su 09:00-12:00 and 15:00-18:00 (upon request at other times). Private museum. Permanent exhibition of multidimensional works in the ground floor exhibition halls and monthly changing exhibitions of contemporary artists in the gallery. The artworks will be stereoscopic looking through special glasses. Thus can be seen in three, four, or even five- and six-dimensional works (unique in the world). The exhibition hall's size is 130 m². In the upstairs gallery visible (and available for purchase) contemporary works (oil paintings, sculptures, enamel objects).
- 5 Zsigmondy Promenade, Park Zsigmondy (Zsigmondy sétány, park), Zsigmondy sétány (Right south of the spa). The construction of the spa started in the mid 1820s, shortly after the accidental discovery of the sulphurous water. The first spa building was a classicist, the associated hotel with 28 rooms welcomed the guests. The landscaping of the area began soon. Walking ways designed, trees and shrubs were planted, statues were set up along the walking ways on about thirteen hectares. The first kars water wells (supplying the bath) were completed on the basis of a mining engineer Vilmos Zsigmond's plans. The park south of the spa is named after him. Harka Well (fountain) is in the Park Zsigmondy among the trees. The fountain was built in 2000, on Zsolnay's porcelain. The precious fountain decorated the motifs of legend of Harkányi water. 'Country Apple' (or Globus cruciger of Hungary) babbling fountain (Hu: Országalmás csobogó), is a small fountain-sculpture, a works of László Tamás and Vajda Kamerer, erected in 2000. Decorated by porcelain pictures around, made in the style of the initials of Codes. The sculpture was created using a variety of materials, and can be seen on it the coat of arms of Harkany City.
- Jewish Cemetery (Izraelita temető) (Over the Reformed cemetery). Here lies one of the first spa doctors. And the members of the local Jewish community from 1900s, who worked in tourism.
The area called “Ormánság” is located in the south-western part of Baranya county, bordered by the river Drava, on the south, and partly by Somogy county, on its western side. There is a headstation to Sellye-Szentlörinc (include a couple sights as: former Esterházy Palace, now Townhouse; - former School (over hundred years old), now Culture House; Koncz Brantner-House, built in the 18th century, and the estate bailiff's apartment, now home of a collection of the civilian housing culture in the 1800s-1900s; the Catholic church, built in Baroque style, in 1718) rail sideline. At the latter station, you can connect to Pécs.
The area is predominantly plain, its most part belonging to the tide lands of the river Dráva. The villages have been built on the so-called “ormá”-s, the small hills emerging from this watery land, the name of the area derives from this term. For tourists the Ormansag gives bach the old provincial, villager atmosphere of Hungary. You can have a look in the lives of the here living people, learn about their art through the paintings of the calvinistic churches. With the beautiful countryside and low volume roads is ideal for bike-tours. Because of its peripheral position, its closeness to the border, this region has been shut off from fast processes of economic growth, being, at the same time, able to preserve its landscape intact, as well as natural, ethnographic and architectural values due to this position.
The flora and fauna of the Ormánság is exceptionally rich. Numerous populations of rare species can be found in some of the places. The vegetation present along the banks of the river Dráva, the willow and poplar groves, oak, ash, and elm groves are an exceptional landscape while being rather remarkable from an ecologic perspective, as well. Two species typical of the Ormánság area are the Slavonic oak and the Hungarian ash tree. Other noteworthy tree species, typical of the Ormánság are the elm, poplar and the blue beech. The furze thicket provides appropriate habitat for the sword-flag and the water-chestnut, while protected plains host a vast variety of lily and iris species. Bird and game population is also exceptionally rich. Bird species typical of the area are the black stork, the bald eagle, the black kite, the falcon, the short-winged hawk, the ant-catcher hawk, the bank swallow and the common kingfisher. This area is a home for beautiful specimens of deer, fawn and wild boar. The river Drava and the fishponds provide excellent opportunities for line-fishing.
The built heritage of this region include the 6 Draskovich Mansion. , located in Sellye, and its surrounding park, the prime botanical garden in the South-Transdanubian area, which hosts a wide variety of rare plants. Close to local history museum- Built heritage of the area consist mainly of examples of folk architecture. Construction of the so-called “footed houses”, typical of the area, must have emerged due to adaptation to the natural conditions of the area, including frequently occurring floods. - Most famous treasures of the area,- in addition the untouched nature,- are the churches. The Hungarian Reformed people lived in Ormánság for centuries. The tempera decorative elements of the painted paneled churches originate from the original ancient Hungarian symbols. The most beautiful highly decorated churches can be found in Drávaiványi (4 km southwest of Sellye. Its church is an outstanding monuments of the architecture of Ormánság, built in 1792, the late Baroque style and painted wood panels. The church has 167 painted ceiling wood panels, in each row nine except semicircular apsis where in four rows seven per row. In the center of the ceiling is a solar disc called the "King cartridge". Only in this reformed church - of all Protestant churches of Ormánság- can be see a figurative picture, fish-tailed, crowned female figure (mermaid?), who holding a sword, and next to its a fish and a dove, the latter holding an olive branch in its beak.) Kórós (20 km east of Sellye, the church standing in the middle of the village, built in 1793, the late Baroque style. On the ceiling in the nine line six-six panels can be see, these are consistent despite the different motives of theirs, characterized by brilliant colors and sharp contours. The primary colors are white, burgundy, blue, and dark blue, in diagonal composition alternating.), Adorjás (Close to Kórós, 21 km from Sellye, 16 km from Harkány, The tower helmeted, late baroque church built in 1836. The bottom of the choir decorated with rococo, wood, ceiling plates. The boards of choir are drawing with light-toned floral elements, lattice motif and individual fringe elements. The primary colors are red, yellow and blue.) and Kovácshida (The reformed church was built in neoclassical style, the balustrade panels of the gallery made in 1833, by János Gyarmati of Vajszló. The center plate of balustrade depicts two chalices, the other panels are florid, only one of which includes two facing birds with stylized flower ornamentation feathers. - The lakes of Kovácshida are 4 km from Harkány, just after Kovácshida. The three, nearly form a circle lakes have a total water surface of 30 hectares. Around one of the waters called “Új tó” (lit. New Lake), you will find some really romantic spots, depth of its reaches five meters in several places! All lakes abound in introduced fish. The fish most favoured by anglers include the carp, the grass carp, the pike-perch, the catfish,-some piece weight over sixty kg, and the pike, but crucian carp is also worth a try. Guest anglers can fish with a day ticket. Day tickets can be purchased at the lake guard. The fish does not have to be paid for. You can rent a boat for a whole day or half a day. Statute of the fishing association forbids rolling. On the lakeshore, one can find a buffet open all day. Cooking is permitted in certain spots, marked in this sense. The guest house includes a WC and provides hand washing opportunities. The flora of lakes include water lilies and reed; and soft wood groves on the shore.
Matty Lake and Hotedra Lake
Matty is a rural community 6 km south of Harkány near the southern border of Baranya county, by the river Drava. Its surroundings are extremely rich in the givens of nature. This place feels like paradise for those interested in fishing and hunting. The outskirts of the village are washed by two natural lakes: the Matty Lake and the backwaters of the river Drava, both of which provide excellent fishing opportunities. The backwaters of the river Drava, close to Matty village maintained the harmony of ancient aquatic life untouched. The two lakes are not far from each other, one can find a fishermen’s cottage and a buffet on the lake shore. Also in nearby can find the family-run (Gáti Tanya [formerly dead link] Cottage, Explore the 'Vegetable Labyrinth', ancestral Hungarian domestic animals can be found here,, hunting tour, horse riding, pleasure carriage ride), including a pension and a restaurant, and offering horse riding and promenading opportunities.
For hikers just outside the village, tempting woodlands and a nature reservation await those who wish to hike. A unique spot -almost unprecedented in Europe – is the Memorial Park for Birds, situated on the plain near Matty. This place can be found alongside the so-called “Három folyó” (lit. “Three rivers”) hiking, cycling route.
Palkonya (Croatian: Plakinja, Palkonija) is a village in Baranya county in Siklós municipality. A rail sideline provide connection toward east to Mohács (29 km) via Villány (5 km) and toward northwest to Pécs (31 km). In 2007, this one street village was the first in Hungary to be awarded the title 'Cultural Village of Europe'. The 7 Catholic church of the village (Árpádházi Szent Erzsébet templom), Fő utca 74.. The village preserves the architectural culture of the German wine-growers who settled to here in 18th century. The cellars, including 53 press-houses, are the most famous monument complex of Palkonya, located in the hillside at the end of the village. Half of the houses (locally) are protected monument, facade of its labeled with a house formed ceramic and there is subtitle "Védett" (lit. protected). Palkonya surrounded by three fish ponds, they are rich in bird life and provide recreation for anglers, hikers. Many marked hiking routes located in the area. Tha village passed by the international "Three Rivers" cycling route. If you walk up to "Weingarten" vineyards hill, where in 2007, the St. Bartholomew's Chapel was built, can enjoy unrivaled panorama of Palkonya.
Siklós – Máriagyűd
Siklós, a small town in Baranya County (pop.: around 10000). 5 km east of Harkány, these are regularly connected by bus. The Castle is a pride of its inhabitants, is a real Mediterranean gem, whose atmosphere, monuments and excellent wines offer you a pleasant time. The cultural programmes and events, the spa, the famous destination of pilgrimage in Mariagyűd (in nearby) are all worth a visit. Exhibitions in the town include: Castle Museum, Town Gallery, Ceramics Studio, local history exhibition. There is an open-air bath in the town.
- 8 Siklos Castle (Siklósi Vár), Vajda János tér 8 (South 200m of Siklos Bus Station), ☏ . Nov-Mar 09:00-17:30. The Castle with its nearly 800-year history is the symbol of Siklos. The Castle, rising high above the city, served not only security, but also as tactical purposes, as well as was estate center of the most aristocratic families of the Middle Ages. The castle is one of the most important Hungarian Renaissance-style building. The first record, a charter from 1294 refers to the place as Castrum Soklos, which implies that the castle containing the remains of the Roman fortress already existed in that period. Built in 13-16th centuries. The Gothic part of the castle, received a special glass flooring solution. The Dorothy Garden, the Barbican and the chapel has been renovated. Siklós is one of the most intact and homogeneous historic complexes in Hungary. Almost all epochs of the history of architecture: Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque can be seen here. The most outstanding examples are the chapel and the closed balcony on the southern facade. Count Kázmér Batthyány, foreign minister of the Kossuth Government is buried in the chapel. The statue in the garden portrays Dorottya Kanizsai, a former mistress of the castle, who had the victims of the Battle of Mohács buried. The art offerings of the castle to enrich the history, painting, fine art, new permanent and temporary exhibitions. In addition, a number of entertainment programs, classical and pop music concerts, summer theater performances waiting the visitors. Old and renovated parts of the castle provide a unique experience. Guided tours by prior appointment (Hungarian, English, German, Ft 5000-6000 per group max twenty persons). - Also a tourist office (Visitor Center) located here. Details: South wing: Dungeons, a small exhibition welcomes visitors, you can try for the detention of prisoners. Torture Chamber and prison cell of noble, this was a blacksmith shop, where shackles affixed on prisoners, here can be seen the most popular torture and execution methods and tools of the Middle Ages and the early modern age. In Wine Museum can be see written documents and artefacts about the viticulture and winemaking history from the Roman period. Learn about the characteristics of wine grape varieties of the Villany-Siklos wine area. A wine shop (Vinotheque) located in the Siklos castle basement, there visitors can purchase some local wines, from vineries of Siklos and Villany, at the 'cellar discount' prices. Renaissance furniture exhibition is on the Ground floor, furniture and carpets can be seen here in 17-18.th centuries, and Madarak (Birds) painting a work of Jakab Bogdány. Medieval weapons and military history exhibition located in four halls of the First floor, wax figures of local noblemans in clothes of Middle Age, and authentic replicas of medieval and early modern weapons and clothing can be see here. On Kalman Istókovits Kalman and Bela Simon painting exhibition is works of local painters and a unique prayer alcove of Dorottya Kanizsai. The Castle history exhibition located in two halls on the Second floor contains the coats of arms of castle owner families (in chronological order), he scale models of the castle and the monument Malkocs Bey Mosque also some castle photos from 20th century. Military History Exhibition - World War I and II. includes objects from collection of Museum of Military History of Budapest and private collection of Dr. István Mehring. Serbian exhibition is a collection of religious and ethnic of local Serbs. East Wing' includes contemporary art exhibition rooms. North wing: Waxworks of Tenkes collection shows an exhibition about major players of the famous television series, Captain Tenkes, the first movie series of Hungary, produced in 1963, in Siklos Castle and its area. Adult/reduced Ft 1500/750.
- 9 Reformed church of Siklos (Református templom), Kálvin u. 18. (Southeast of the Mosque), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The Siklos Reformed Church, according to locals, dates from the Hungarian Reformation. The first Protestant pastor of the city called Mihály Siklos (or Szilvási), who was born in the city, first preached since 1522 in Sátoraljaújhely. Reformed stone church of Siklos construction began in 1791, thanks to the support of a local landowner, Count AntalBatthyány in 1806 completed the temple.
- 10 Malkocs Bey Mosque (Malkocs bej dzsámi), Kossuth tér 15. (East of Siklos Castle), ☏ . Daily 09:00-17:00. Built in between 1543 and 1565, by Malkocs Bey (a high-ranking Turkish military person). Nicely restored in 1993, now serves as an ethnographic museumin the courtyard of the House of Culture, and as a house of prayer. The mosque reminds us the Ottoman period of Hungary. Ft 350/250, Guided tour: Ft 1000 per group, by appointment only.
- 11 Franciscan Church (Ferencesek temploma, Szent Anna templom), Vajda János tér 1 (South of the Castle), ☏ , fax: . The medieval parish church with the adjoining monastery stand on the south-eastern part of the Castle Hill. The original church, dedicated to St. Anne, Mary's mother, stood around in 1333. The church built for the Augustinian "surpliced canon" then rebuilt several times and finally, after the expulsion of the Turks, it was given to the Franciscan order. Original frescoes are still visible. At present the formerly Franciscan Church belongs to baroque style, but in its shrine are medieval frescoes (15th century) by Italian painters. In the sanctuary the red marble monument of Palatine I. Miklós Garai can be seen. The Convent building next to the church was rebuilt in the second half of the 1970s to a ceramic creative workshop.
- 12 Serbian Orthodox Church (Szerb-ortodox templom, Görögkeleti Templom), Táncsics M. str. 2 (Close to the Mosque), ☏ . By appointment. The Serbs established in the 15th century in and around Siklos. The first Orthodox church was erected in 1738, which was rebuilt after fire in Copf style with altar screen. The iconostasis and equipment originates around 1800. Donations excepted.
- 13 Basilica of Máriagyűd (Máriagyűdi Bazilika), Vujicsics Tihamér utca ~56 (Máriagyűd is a satellite settlement of Siklós toward northwest about 2 km away). M-F 09:00-16:30. The village was named after Győd, who was one of the chieftains of the Hungarian tribes arriving here in the 10th century. - The history of the devotional church of Siklós-Máriagyűd goes back to the Roman times. The busy road connecting Sopianae and Mursa (today - Eszék) ran under the hill, and the spring there served as a place for a rest for travellers. First a statue of Mary was erected, later the Christian Slavs placed an altar of Mary to here. In the 11th century a chapel was built in honour of Mary. The two-towered baroque Roman Catholic church built was built in the 18th century, by Franciscan monks. The former church was a wooden church in Árpád-period (probably in 1148, King Géza II), which burned down in the Turkish period (end of 15th century or early 16th century). In medieval times it was turned into a Protestant place of worship by the lord of Siklós Fortress, Péter Perényi. Due to the frequent prayers and Marian apparitions of the 17th century, it has long been a place of pilgrimage. The church is a Minor Basilica since 2008. East of the devotional church you can find the Holy Well, the water of which was taken home by the pilgrims in the famous jugs of Gyűd. A feast is held here on every Mary's day and on the important religious holidays, i.e. 25-27 times annually. This time the church and its vicinity is visited by many people, the number of which was nearly 500,000 in the past few years. Máriagyűd is endpoint of the (El Camino-like) Pilgrimage Way which based on the Hungarian cultural traditions. The Pilgrimage Way is 420-km long, start at Esztergom and on the way to here connect up the holy places of the country. One of the largest and most popular place of pilgrimage for Hungary. - This is also the starting point of the Butcher's Broom - educational path (Csodabogyó tanösvény). Entry is free of charge.
- Villány is a large village with 2900 inhabitants to the 22 km east of Harkány (13 km east of Siklós). The area is one of the best wine region of the country. It is especially famous for its local red wine that is why it obtained the title of the Town of Wine-yards and Wine. Viniculture can be traced back to some thousand years in this place. The southern slopes are characterized by a Mediterranean climate. The enterprises in the vicinity are united in the Borút Egyesület (Wine Route Association), in order to secure regular high standards in wine supply and wine shops. In addition to wines accommodation is also available in pensions and private boarding houses.
- Sights: Teleki and Wine Cellar Museum (installed in the one-time Tithe-Cellar) old equipment and traditions of wine-growing are exhibited. Church Hill quarry with fossil demonstration (Nature Conservation Area). The famous cellar known as "Wine Tunnel", ends in a stalactite cave. Explore the Villany-Siklos Wine Road include castle in Siklos, Mariagyud and Villany can be accessed by bicycle, partly on bike path. Event: The Villany wine festival. At the foot of hill Szársomlyó, an interesting park of Sculpture can be visited. The Roman Catholic church of Villany was built in the 15th century.
Villánykövesd is layed at Villány stumps. About 19km form Harkany. Because of the very interesting natural environment here are a couple of the most extraordinary wineyards of Hungary. Belongs to Villány–Siklós wine county. One of the most famous touristic attractions is cellar-village with three etage.
Castle-theatre evenings in Siklós, bath concerts, the arts, gastronomic and handicraft festivals. Horseback riding, cart-rides, hiking, cycling, boat-rides, water sports.
- Take a walk to Belvedere at the top of the Kopasz hill. Good viewpoint.
- Sports Hall (Sportcsarnok), Petőfi u. 42. Tel.:72/480-323
- 1 Drava Shipping (Tour Chance- Drávai Hajózás), 7815 Harkány, Táncsics Mihály utca 54/a. (one block south of Hotel Kager), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. In case of interest will start. Sightseeing tours. From the deck of a cruise ship, max. capacity 45 people, can be viewed the special bird and other animal life of the romantic Drava Valley. The permanent port of the vessel is Drávaszabolcs village at 78th km of Drava. Easily accessible by car or bus, the parking facilities provided. Ask for details: Mr. Fórizs Sándor +36-30-9593-530
- 2 Medicinal spa and Outdoor swimming bath (Official: Therapeutic bath and public wellness complex of Harkány, Gyógy- és Strandfürdő, Harkányi Gyógyfürdő Zrt.), Kossuth L. u. 7 (Downtown), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Thermal spa: daily: 09:00-18:00, open-air bath: 25 Apr-12 Jun: 09:00-18:00, 13 Jun-20 Aug: 09:00-20:00, 21.Aug-28.Sep.: 09:00-18:00, 29 Sep-24 Apr: closed. The Harkány Spa was awarded the highest possible. Located in a many hectare park covered with grass and trees. Services: Healing water, Curative treatments, Drinking cure, Wellness & spa, Healing cosmetics, Dermatology. - Thermal Spa Pools: health pool, roofed; health pool, open; health pool, semi-open; top floor, whirlpool, roofed; two pools on top floor with jacuzzi, roofed; top floor, relax pool, roofed. All pool temperature of the water: 34-36°C. - Open-Air Bath Pools (eight units): sports pool, 'butterfly' pools, children’s pool, whirlpool, sauna cold plunge pool, slide & plunge pool. Different temperatures: 20-36°C. Adult/reduced/family ticket Ft 2900/2200/2900/adult +1100/children, Adult/reduced afternoon ticket (from 14:00) Ft 2200/1500 (2014).
- Line-Fishing in varied fishing lakes: Ócsárdi fishing lake (From Harkány towards Pécs, the third village is Ócsárd., T: +36 30 2265834), Szalánta fishing lake (take #58 road toward Pécs, 4-5 km before the Pogány airport must turn right. T: + 36 20 9283837), Bissei fishing lake (Turning off the No. 58 main road, out of village Bisse you will find the lake, T: +36 30 5953109), Görcsöny lake (Leading the way toward Görcsöny from Harkany 500 meters before village limit turn to left, follow the paved road near the forest end of its is the Lake, T: +36 20 4186535). Fishes in the lakes: carp, grass carp, pike, perch, carp, African catfish
- Equestrian farm (Lovastanya)
- „Ördögűző”- celebration - the end of winter in February,
- Gastronomic Festival: food, potions and cake maker 'competition' - Springtime
- Bath Festival- Summer
- Wienharvest festival - at the secound weekend of September
- Advent program living Betlehem - December
Church festival days in Máriagyűd
The festival day of the place of pilgrimage is 2 July, which is supplemented by six major and several smaller church festivals:
- Whitsun – Roma pilgrimage (end of May)
- Sunday of the Holy Trinity (last Sunday of May)
- Feast of the Visitation - July 5
- Our Lady – youth church festival (“Sarlós Boldogasszony”) three days of first week of July
- Our Lady – main church festival (“Nagyboldogasszony”) mid August
- Our Lady – main church festival, festival for the German community (“Kisboldogasszony”) two days, first week of Sept
ATMs and banks
- 2 DRB Bank ATM, Siklós, Felszabadulás u. 46-48. (North of the Castle), ☏ .
- 3 OTP Bank and ATM, Siklós, Felszabadulás utca 60 (Half km north of the Castle), ☏ , , fax: . M 07:45-17:00, Tu-F 07:45-15:00. Traded currencies: EUR, USD, HRK.- ATM 24hr
- 4 OTP Bank ATM (Országos Takarékpénztár és Kereskedelmi Bank), Harkány, Kossuth L. u. 20-21 (At Spar supermarket), ☏ . 24 hr.
- 5 Erste Bank ATM, Harkány, Ady Endre utca 1 (At Spar supermarket), ☏ . 24 hr.
- 6 Erste Bank ATM, Siklós, Harkányi út 55 (Tesco Siklós). Daily 06:00-22:00.
- 7 Market Hall (Piaccsarnok), Harkány, Ady Endre utca 1. (Near Zoja utca), ☏ . M-F 08:00-18:00, Sa 08:00-17:00; Su 08:00-12:00. Fresh food.
- 8 Spar supermarket (Spar szupermarket), Harkány, Kossuth Lajos utca 20 (Center), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 06:30-20:00, Sa 06:30-18:00, Su 07:00-13:00. Supermarket chain. More unit: Harkány, Ady Endre utca 1. Cash and Credit card payment accepted in all Hungarian Spar shop
- 9 Spar supermarket (Spar szupermarket), Siklós, Mária utca 2 (Northeast 200 m from the Castle), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 06:30-20:00, Sa 06:30-14:00, Su: closed. Szent István tér 9, T.: +36 20 8237506, open: M-F 06:30-20:00, Sa 06:30-18:00, Su 07:00-13:00.
- 1 [dead link] Pension Szilencium and Szigeti Tavern (Szilencium Panzió és Szigeti Csárda), Rózsa utca 2. (Close to bus station, next the road Siklos in the middle of a lake), ☏ , (Mobil), fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Especially rich in fish foods, almost all of the 'fish of Hungary' on the menu. The game and the Hungarian cuisine favorites also available here. There are three dozens different main dishes. Try the mixed wood plate on island style (Cordon Bleu, baked carp, chicken breast file with onions, fried potatoes whole, grilled mushrooms) for Ft 2250. Two-course meal Ft 1500-3000.
- Local Villány wines
Around a dozen three four stars hotels and pensions, more than three dozens guest-houses, private summer cottages and a big camping are at the tourists’ disposal. Several families of the residents has transformed rooms in their own houses in order to receive guests. In case of a longer vacation it is advisable for health reasons to interrupt bathing at the spa for some days of rest, during which you can travel around the environs, and you can get acquainted with their interesting and valuable scenic spots.
- 1 Arany Apartman Harkány, Rózsa Ferenc u. 23 (250m southeast from Spa), ☏ , (mobile), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. With kitchen, garden (barbecue area), terrace and closed parking place. Ft 3000 p.p..
- 2 [dead link] Dorina Apartment, Harkány, Kossuth Lajos utca 8. (~150 m west from Spa entrance), ☏ (mobile), ✉ email@example.com. The apartment is well equipped, located in the center Harkany. For 2-4 persons family is ideal. Apartment is 40 m2 and consists of living room with sleeping area, kitchen, bathroom, hall with terrace, SAT-Tv. Ft 3500 p.p..
- 3 Camping Harkany (Termál Kemping Apartmanházak), Bajcsy Zsilinszky Endre u. 6 (Right east of Spa entrance), ☏ , (mobile), fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel has seven rooms with two beds, bathroom and toilets, in the main building. The apartments are located in two-storey buildings, in an environment with landscape gardening, separated form the other camping sites. Tent site is around the caravan and trailer site, on a green area, there are also 92 sites for caravans or trailers. Fridge rental, Laundry service, Kitchen equipments rental available New hotel rooms for two pers. Ft 16500, Bungalow for two/three persons Ft 22900/26000-27000, Apartments – for two/three four persons Ft 16300-21900/23.500, Extra bed Ft 3500, Electric power Ft 910, Tent site Ft 1200, Caravan or trailer site Ft 1900, Accommodation fees(caravan, trailer,tent) Ft 1400 all tax incl. valid from May to first half of Oct, out of season ten-fifteen percent discount, with campcard discount.
- 4 Komfort Hotel Platán, Bartók Béla utca 15. (northeast from Spa 400 m easy walk, 500 m north from the bus station), ☏ , (mobile), fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 43 comfort rooms with bath, TV, fridge, phone, large balcony. 19 economy rooms with bath, 1-2 bed, TV, fridge, phone. Dining room, air con conference hall, summer terrace, drink bar. Services: non-stop reception, internet connection, closed free parking. Eco single/double €26/51, comfort single/double €35/65, Apartement €70 for two people, extra bed €20 (high season, Jun-Aug, shoulder and off season discounts). Credit cards are accepted.
- 5 MÁV Spa House Institute (Vasútegészségügyi MÁV Gyógyház), Bajcsy-Zsilinszky u. 1 (close to bus station), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodate in renovated first floor double bedrooms and apartments, equipped with shower, toilet, cable TV, refrigerator on second floor. Daily menus in dining hall. With garden and terrace. Breakfast Ft 400, lunch Ft 900, dinner Ft 700. Secure parking area inside the institute Ft 350 per day. single/double Ft 5000/9000 (May-Sept); out of season Ft 4400/6900.
- 6 Ametiszt Hotel Harkány, Szent István u. 26-28 (250 m from the Spa, close to Futó László Pál Museum), ☏ , (mobile), fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Friendly hotel with own restaurant lunch, dinner menus available. Air con, bicycle rental, garage available. Can accept credit cards.Packages fro five or seven nights. single/double/triple €51.5/58/86, Buffet breakfast included.
- 7 Hotel Kager (Kager Szálló), Szent István utca 50-52 (100m from Futó László Pál Museum), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Four star hotel with 37 rooms, all air conditioned from double rooms to suites with two bedrooms, small meeting room, restaurant in wine cellar. In the restaurant varied main meal (both local and international food, game, poultry and fish dishes) simple soups and desserts. The Wellness section includes fitness, massage and dentist units. Three courses meal from HUF3000, single/double/triple/quad Ft 15900/22900/28300/30800 (Apr-Sep, Dec 20-Jan 4), off season around 20% discount.
- 8 Lidia Hotel and Restaurant (Lídia Hotel*** Wellness és Étterem), Kossuth Lajos utca 49. (Close to Post Office), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. A three-star wellness hotel with garden and restaurant. There are 37 rooms with two beds single/double Ft 9800/17500 all tax incl. (in Oct-Dec ~30% discount).
- 9 Siesta Apartman Clubhotel, Kossuth Lajos u. 17. (Close to Spa entrance), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 81 apartments with kitchen and one or one and a half bedroom. Breakfast, half board, main course menus available. One bedroom for one/two people Ft 11900/12400. 1½ bedroom apt up to four people Ft 16000-17000, extra person Ft 3500. Premium 1/1½ room Ft 14400/21400. Hotel Room Ft 6,500 (high season jun-sept, and Sylvester, prices in forint, all tax incl.).
- 10 Xavin Hotel and Restaurant (Xavin Hotel **** Wellness és Étterem), Kossuth Lajos utca 43 (150 m west of Spa), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Four star hotel with a heated indoor pool, massage swimming pool, Turkish aroma steam bath, Finnish sauna with light therapy, experience showers and tepidarium are all free of charge. The glass-roofed restaurant offers different three- and four-course daily menus. Double room for one person/two main Ft 12700/20300, extra bed 4300, Family Suite Ft 24900-27700 (in Main season Mar 11-Oct 10, Dec 22-Jan 03).
- 11 Dráva Hotel (Dráva Hotel Thermal Resort ****), Bartók Béla u. 1 (Northeast of Spa), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. A nice four star hotel with Conference Hall for events. 89 rooms with double bed, twin bed, two plus one bed in classic, superior, premium and suite categories, all with private bathroom, air-conditioner, television, minibar, telephone and a some of them with a balcony too. There is an air conditioned restaurant, open daily 07:00–22:00, for max 200 people with four separable rooms (when requested), buffet service and a-la-carte menu is available. Standard room for one/two people Ft 32200/42900, superior plus Ft 5000, suite plus Ft 11000, extra bed Ft 21000 (great discounts for longer stay or out of season, accept: HUF and €, and bankcards.
- 12 Thermal Hotel Harkány (Thermál Szálloda ****), Járó József utca (500 m norteast of Spa), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. The only four-star spa hotel in Southern Transdanubia with 131 standard and superior, elegant and modern style rooms and apartments. Services free of charge: half board, Internet access (Wi-Fi) in public spaces, aqua gym, saunas, swimming pool, different saunas, petanque, bowling tracks. Payment services: parking, AC, full board, all inclusive, hotel spa pool. Rooms single/double/triple from Ft 32500/42900/55100. Apartment, for one/two from Ft 36500/48900, Extra bed Ft 12000 (high season late June-early Oct and Chistmas-New Year's) Payments: HUF, €, bankcards.
- Ambulance 104
- Police 107
- Fire Station 105
- Health House (Egészségház), Harkány, Kőrösi Kőrösi Csoma Sándor utca 43, ☏ . Emergency medical service
- Police Station of Harkány (Rendőrkapitányság Harkányi Rendőrörs), Bartók Béla u.1. +36 72 480-367
- Vilmos Zsigmond Spa Hospital (Zsigmondy Vilmos Gyógyfürdőkórház), Harkány, Zsigmondy sétány 1. 72/580-900
- Thermal Bio Pharmacy (Thermál Bio-Patika), Harkány, Kossuth Lajos u.16. Tel.:+36 72 279-489, M-F 09:00-17:00, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dialing code: 72. Postal code of Harkány: 7815.
- 2 Post Office (Magyar Posta Zrt. Postahivatal), Kossuth Lajos utca 57 (Close to Petöfi Sándor utca), ☏ , . M Tu Th F 08:00-16:00, W 07:00-17:00.
- Public Library (Könyvtár), Harkány, Kossuth Lajos utca 2., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 09:45-12:00 and 13:00-17:45; F 10:00-14:00. with Internet Access