Transdanubia (Hungarian: Dunántúl Roman: Pannonia) lies west of the Danube River in western Hungary.
- 1 Bikal. There is a Castle Hotel
- 2 Esztergom. The first capital, the seat of Constitutional Court and the Roman Catholic Church of Hungary, home of the biggest church in Central Europe
- 3 Győr. There are many cafés, restaurants, boutiques, and night clubs in its lovely baroque city center
- 4 Harkány. Small spa town on the Croatian border, famous for its waters rich in sulphur
- 5 Kőszeg. A historic town on the Austrian border
- 6 Mosonmagyaróvár. A thermal spa and destistry town
- 7 Nagykanizsa.
- 8 Pápa. One of the centres of the Reformed faith in Transdanubia, with numerous ecclesiastical heritage sites and museums
- 9 Pécs. A pleasant cultural centre and university town
- 10 Sopron. A bilingual town on the Austrian border
- 11 Szekszárd.
- 12 Székesfehérvár.
- 13 Szombathely. Former Roman colony, Centre of Western Danubia and county Vas
- 14 Veszprém. One of the oldest cities of Hungary
- Fertő-Hanság National Park - Fertő Lake a cultural landscape on the UNESCO World Heritage List
- Írottkő Nature Park
- 1 Lake Balaton.
- Őrségi National Park
- Transdanubian Mountains, Bakony - Balaton Uplands National Park
- Velence Lake - Agard most important resorts of the lake, a vibrant fishing and rowing center (sailing, kayaking, canoeing).
Transdanubia covers much of the ancient Roman province of Pannonia, which also included the lands north and east of the Danube River that are in surrounding countries.
Northern Transdanubia, (Budapest-Tatabánya-Győr-Mosonmagyaróvár rail line,) directly connected with Vienna (eight per day, 'SparSchiene' ticket from €13 (OW), 2014). Special ticket prices for direct trains toward west to Salzburg (eight per day), and Innsbruck (twice a day, RW ticket from €89 ). - EURegio Spezial tickets valids for daily one return trip, from Monday to next Monday 9AM any train (on the given routes), Győr-Vienna-Győr: € 49.
From Sopron, Szentgotthárd [formerly dead link] (pdf, 2014), Szombathely origins trains depart to east and south Austrian destinations (Vienna, Graz (RW from €39), Klagenfurt, Villach, Wiener Neustadt).
Direct flight between Liszt Ferenc Airport (BUD) in Budapest and about a dozen German cities, also a couple flights mostly charters to Heviz Airport (SOB) former FlyBalaton Airport in Sármellék. Pécs and Győr also has an airport for smaller planes, used almost exclusive charter flights and private planes
Northern Transdanubia, (Budapest-Tatabánya-Győr-Mosonmagyaróvár rail line,) directly connected with Munich (five per day, one of night train, OW ticket from €29, 2014), also and to Frankfurt (6 hours), via Stuttgart 'railjet' trains (weekly two, from €49, 2014) or daily more with change at Vienna.
Some bus lines passed this region see on the homepage of Volánbusz, which is the national bus company and also the local Eurolines representation. Alternatively, Orangeways bus company T.:+36 30 830-9696, offer cheap tickets between Győr and Berlin, Cologne, Dresden, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich.
- Take 'Citadella' InterCity express, IC 246/247, stop at Székesfehérvár, Veszprém, Zalaegerszeg to Murska Sobota, (Slovenia), Ptuj, (Slovenia) , Maribor (Slovenia)
- 'Istria express', 1246/1247 take it at Székesfehérvár or Veszprém or Zalaegerszeg to Ljubljana (Slovenia) and Koper (Slovenia)
- 'Rippl-Rónai' InterCity express, IC 204/205. Catch it at Dombóvár or at Kaposvár to Zagreb
Slovakia and Czech Republic
From Győr start buses to Bratislava in Slovakia with Cseh-busz OW/RW HUF3000/5000, three per day, 1 hour and Praha in Czech Republic(OW/RW HUF6000/11000 three per day, 5.5 hour, <2014>) See at Volan bus company site.
- Health and wellness tourism - all spas water have therapeutic effect(s). See counties Győr-Moson-Sopron, Vas and Zala.
- 1 Danube-Drava National Park (Duna-Dráva Nemzeti Park). The National Park area is 490 square kilometres and the majority of national park sites are located within Danube and Drava floodland areas. Habitats along the Drava host more than 400 protected plants and animals.
- 2 Őrség National Park (Őrség Nemzeti Park) (Southwestern part of Vas County). Folk architecture, arboretums, castle garden etc.
Renowned handicraft products of Győr-Moson-Sopron County:
- Csorna's blue-dyed fabrics,
- Dör's potter goods,
- Hövej's lace embroideries.
The most distinctive cake in Győr County: the Rábaköz's Pretzel
- Salami from the Csíkvarsa Meadow (Vértes area) - This produce is made from the meat of the Hungarian grey cattle. Ingredients: cleaned and carefully selected beef, bacon, paprika, salt, garlic, pepper, caraway and allspice.
- Slices of beef with mustard in sour cream gravy ‘Csákvár’ style (Vértes area) - deboned beef steak, fat of mangalica pig, onions, cloves garlic, flour, sour cream, milk, mustard, ‘Delikát’ spice mixture, pepper, salt, thyme
- Puchner Castle Hotel, Bikal (— 50 KM south of Pécs). the small community of Bikal offers one of the most renowned historic Castle Hotels.