Havelock is a town in the Marlborough district of New Zealand known as the green-shell mussel capital of the world. It is the major access point to the Pelorus Sound, one of the two major sounds of the Marlborough Sounds. There must be something in the water as two of the world's greatest scientists had their formative education in Havelock: Sir Ernest Rutherford, the first man to split the atom and the rocket scientist William Pickering.
Havelock is on State Highway 6 between Blenheim (30 minutes) and Nelson (45 minutes). There are two choices of traveling to Picton. The turnoff to the scenic Queen Charlotte Drive on the eastern side of town. Queen Charlotte Drive is narrow and windy, with commanding views over the Keneperu and inner Queen Charlotte Sounds. Allow 1 hour to travel this route. The alternative is via the Wairau valley. From Picton, head initially down State Highway 1 in the direction of Blenheim. At the settlement of Spring Creek, turn west down Rapaura Rd and travel length of this road. At the intersection turn north to travel to Havelock. Allow 45 minutes for this journey.
The Intercity coach travels Picton-Nelson return, passing through Blenheim.
Havelock is the gateway to the Pelorus Sound.
- Havelock Water Taxi, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Marlborough Travel, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 990 800, fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pelorus Belle Water Taxi, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com.
- Pelorus Mail Boat, Jetty 1 Havelock Marina, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu, Th, F. Departs from Havelock Marina 9:30AM, returns to Havelock late afternoon. A courtesy coach is available from Picton and return. Adults $128, children free.
- Havelock Museum, Main Road (next to the Clansman).
- Rutherford and Pickering Memorial, Main Road. Memorial to Havelock's famous scientists
- Nydia Track. A 2-day trek between Kaiuma Bay and Duncan Bay in Tennyson Inlet. You can park at either end but may want to take a shuttle bus, water taxi or mail boat to or from the other end.
- Greenshell Mussel Cruise, Jetty 1a, Havelock Marina, ☏ , toll-free: 0800 990 800, ✉ email@example.com. November 1 - March 31 at 1:30PM. 3-hour cruise through the Marlborough Sounds. $125 per adult, $55 per child (5-15), free for children 0-4.
- Taxidermist (Eyes on Nature), 61 Main Street (The old historic post office), ☏ , fax: . Oct-Mar: Tu-Su 9AM to 5PM; Apr-Sep: 10AM to 4PM.
- Havelock Museum Flea Market, Museum, Main Road, ☏ (Rita), (Joan). Every Saturday except in bad weather, 10AM-1PM. Crafts, preserves, plants, etc. Proceeds to Havelock Museum.
- Blue Moon Backpackers, 48 Main Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. From $37 per person.
- Rutherford Backpackers, 46 Main Rd, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. From $25 per person.
- Havelock Garden Motels, 71 Main Road, ☏ , fax: . $95 - 140.
- Pelorus Bridge – swimming hole, campground and bush walks for all levels of fitness in native bush, 15 minutes west of Havelock
|Routes through Havelock|
|Nelson ← Pelorus Bridge ←||W S||→ Renwick → Blenheim|