The history of Havertown can be traced back to 40,000 acres of land being purchased by the Religious Society of Friends from William Penn in 1681. It is an area that has seen the transformation from farmland and water-powered mills to a unique suburban neighborhood. It was well known for both gunpowder and textile manufacturing, producing powder for the War of 1812 and the cloth for the Union army during the Civil War. Havertown is the home to several historical sites and is well known for being the birthplace of Swell Bubble Gum, whose factory was demolished in 2011. It is also known for its large Irish-American population, which is still evident in the many Irish bars and stores throughout the town.
Havertown is very close to Philadelphia, about a half hour drive. Havertown is easily accessible to public transportation considering how close it is to 69th street Terminal. You can take either the SEPTA Rt. 104 bus or the Rt. 112 bus from 69th Street or you can take the Rt. 115 bus from Ardmore. It is also possible to take the Norristown High Speed Line (NHSL) into Havertown. If driving, you can reach Havertown off of Rt. 1 (City Line Avenue), Rt. 3 (West Chester Pike) or by taking I-95 to 476 (Blue Route) exit 9-Broomall/Upper Darby.
It is easy to walk around Havertown, but the best way to get around is by car. Public Transportation is also an option but not the best. If you drive, there is usually plenty of street parking, as well as, several parking lots near some of the stores. There are also many sidewalks which makes walking or biking an option.
- Historic Grange Estate, 143 Myrtle Ave, ☏ . A historic mansion built in the 1700s that was frequented by several Revolutionary War figures, such as, George Washington and General Lafayette. It now serves as a museum and offers tours, parties, programs, and shops.
- Nitre Hall, Karakung Drive, +1 610-446-7988. A historic home built in the 1800s, which was the home of the powder master and is the only building remaining from the industrial era of the valley. It is open to the public from May through October and is often part of school and group field trips.
- Lawrence Cabin, Karakung Drive, +1 610-446-7988. A historic log cabin built sometime in the 1700s and is typical of the first homes early settlers built in this area. It is furnished appropriately in the period before 1750 and features “Colonial Living Experience” tours.
- Federal School, Manoa Road, +1 610-446-7988. A one room stone schoolhouse from 1797 named the Federal School as a sign of the townspeople’s pride in being part of the Federated United States. It is the oldest building in Delaware County erected specifically for education purposes. It is open to the public for tours and is also used as part of school and group field trips.
- Kangaroo University, 19 East Eagle Rd, ☏ . An indoor fun play area that is best suited to children ages 2-10. It includes a giant slide, sumo wrestling, a velcro wall, many arcade games, a boxing ring, moon bounces, a rock wall, and a teddy bear stuffing area. (Closed)
- Haverford Township Skatium, 1002 Darby Rd, ☏ . An indoor ice skating rink that offers public skating sessions, skating lessons, ice hockey, pickup hockey, and birthday parties.
- Haverford Township Skatepark, 1000 Darby Rd. A recreational area designed for skateboarders, roller skaters, and rollerbladers. Skaters must have a signed registration waiver on file with the Recreation Department in order to use the skatepark.
- Haverford Township Library, 1601 Darby Rd, ☏ . Official Public Library of Haverford Township since 1934 which offers events and programs for all ages.
- Havertown Healing Center, 24 East Eagle Rd, ☏ . A center that offers massage and aromatherapy in a clean, relaxing, and calming environment.
- East Eagle Yoga, 18 East Eagle Rd, ☏ . A yoga studio that offers many yoga classes and workshops, as well as, massage therapy, teacher training, and health counseling. They welcome you to come take a class or just stop by to say hello and have a cup of tea in their tea lounge.
- Envy Salon & Spa, 401 West Chester Pike,, ☏ . A wonderful hair salon and spa that offers a full range of hair services and several spa packages.
- Darby Creek Valley Park. This park has a creek and large nature area and is also equipped with basketball courts.
- Powder Mill Valley Park, Karakung Drive. This park has a creek and nature area and is also equipped with playground equipment and basketball courts.
- Community Park, Marple Rd. This park has a creek, nature area, and playing fields and is also equipped with playground equipment and tennis courts.
Havertown has several unique stores, a shopping center and a department store.
- McKennas Irish Shop, 1901 Darby Rd, ☏ . An amazing Irish store that carries crystal, china, jewelry, clothing, gifts, dance shoes, and many other products.
- Brew Your Own Beer, 2026 Darby Rd, ☏ . The store has equipment and supplies for home brewing and wine making.
- The Bead Garden, 2122 Darby Rd, ☏ . A full-service bead store that sells beads and jewelry making supplies, as well as, also offers classes and parties
- Needle Me, 12 East Eagle Rd, ☏ . A distinctive needlepoint store that carries needlework and materials.
- Special Occasions, 14 East Eagle Rd, ☏ . A retail store that offers religious gifts, jewelry, clothing, and accessories following an Orthodox Tradition.
- Congratulations, 110 West Eagle Rd, ☏ . A wonderful store for invitations, announcements, guest favors, gift baskets, accessories and more.
- Tyme Gallery, 17 W. Eagle Rd, ☏ . A marketplace for unique oils, watercolors, Raku sculpture, ceramics, pastels, painted furniture, photography, stained glass, painted stemware, hand blown glass and custom jewelry.
- St. Jude Shop, 21 Brookline Blvd, toll-free: . A family-owned and -operated religious store that carries church supplies, vestments, christening gifts, jewelry, books and accessories.
- Seems Like Old Times, 506 Shelbourne Rd, ☏ . An exceptional store that carries antiques, collectibles, and the unexpected.
- Kohls- 250 West Chester Pike, +1 610-853-6000. A full service department store
- Manoa Shopping Center- Eagle Road & Route 3. A collection of shopping, dining, and services
Havertown has a full range of places to eat to satisfy all appetites.
- Lamplighter Tavern, 8 Campbell Avenue, ☏ .
- Boulevard Bar & Grille, 33 Brookline Blvd, ☏ .
- Tip O’Leary’s– 300 West Chester Pike, +1 610-789-1414
- Oakmont Pub, 31 East Eagle Road, ☏ .
- Zac's Burgers (American)- 800 North Eagle Rd./+1 610-449-4929
- Forbidden City (Chinese)- 162 West Eagle Rd./+1 610-789-4488
- Kaya’s Fusion Cuisine (Fusion)– 5 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-446-2780
- Sampan Inn (Japanese)- 8 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-446-3000
- P&S Ravioli Company (Italian)- 30 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-446-9977
- Sukho Thai Cuisine (Thai)- 20 East Eagle Rd./+1 610-449-4414
- Giampinos (Italian)- 1254 West Chester Pike/+1 610-853-9330
- Shogun 3 (Japanese Steakhouse)- 1375 West Chester Pike/+1 610-853-3939
- Nais Cuisine (French)- 13 West Benedict Avenue/+1 610-789-5983
- Hanne Breakfast Nook- 2409 West Darby Rd./+1 610-449-4919
- Manoa Diner & Deli- 1305 West Chester Pike/+1 610-449-5400
- Boccellas Deli- 37 W. Eagle Rd./+1 610-789-2228
- Butchs Deli- 1304 Edgewood Rd./+1 610-853-8399
- Centrella’s Deli- 10 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-853-2466
- Primo Hoagies- 803 West Chester Pike/+1 610-446-6556
- Allegro Pizza- 1411 West Chester Pike/+1 610-789-2800
- Bravo Pizza- 1345 West Chester Pike/+1 610-446-3810
- Brookline Pizza- 1 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-446-1234
- Cenzo’s Pizzeria- 1619 Darby Rd./+1 610-789-3375
- Havertown Pizza- 2016 Darby Rd./+1 610-446-5035
- Hoopty's Pizza- 2415 Darby Rd./+1 610-853-2200
- Testa’s Bakery (famous for Italian sweets)- 12 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-789-4331
- Pop’s Homemade Waterice- 150 West Eagle Rd./+1 610-789-7677
- Rita’s Waterice- 55 West Eagle Rd./+1 610-789-8808
- Westgate Pub- 1021 West Chester Pike, +1 610-446-3030
- Killgallen’s Tavern- 2225 Darby Rd., +1 610-789-0177
- Frankie’s Café- 25 S. Eagle Rd., +1 610-449-4355
- Ivy Inn (classic tap room)- 37 Brookline Blvd./+1 610-446-8026
- W.C.Murphy’s- 1254 West Chester Pike./+1 610-789-4803
- Manoa Tavern- 8 North Manoa Rd./+1 610-446-9726
There are no hotels in Havertown.
- Kindred Hospital-2000 Old West Chester Pike, +1 610-853-7000
- Delaware County Community Hospital-501 North Lansdowne Ave., Drexel Hill, +1 610-284-8100
- Doctors Express Care-737 West Chester Pike, +1 610-853-9900
|Routes through Havertown|
|King of Prussia ← Villanova ←||N S||→ Media → Chester|