- For other places with the same name, see Herborn (disambiguation).
Herborn is a town in North Hesse
Herborn was the residence of the Dukes of Nassau for most of the medieval and early modern era and called itself "Rothenburg of Hesse" for tourism purposes before World War I. It is one of the better preserved small towns which was thankfully largely spared bombing in the second world war.
- 1 Herborn station. Regular services go to Wetzlar (Giessen, Frankfurt) and Siegen (Cologne), and from these cities you have extensive connections on the German high speed train network (ICE).
Herborn is only 80 km away from Frankfurt airport (FRA IATA), Germany's busiest airport. From the airport, heading to the north (Autobahn A5, then change to A45 direction of Dortmund). Or you can reach Herborn from the Cologne/Bonn airport (CGN IATA), about 100 km.
Herborn has a good connection to Autobahn A45, the connection between Hanau and Dortmund. Two junctions lead from the A45 into the city. Federal route B255 from Montabaur (Westerwald) leads to Herborn, also the route B277 connecting Wetzlar with Siegen leads to Herborn.
In Herborn you can visit all of your target destinations via city buses. In addition to this, many Taxi and Minivan services are also available (e.g. at train stations)., as well as a bike rental outlet situated at Schneider's Sports Shop along the Konrad-Adenauer street.
One of the main sights of Herborn is historic townscape with many beautiful half-timbered houses
- 1 The historic town hall.
- romantic market place. in the heart of the city
- 2 Hohe Schule (Herborn Academy). middle-ages reformed academy, today seat of the city museum
- 3 castle (Schloss). still inhabited by a seminary of the protestant church of Hesse
- 4 Protestant city church. First mentioned in a document dating to 1219
- city walls. remains, with many towers.
- 5 Tierpark Herborn (5 km from the city centre), ☏ , email@example.com. has more than 100 types of local and exotic birds and many other animals, a garden-café, playground, and other interesting features.
- 6 Observation tower Dillblick.
- 7 Wildgehege Herborn.
- Take a walk through the historic city on your own, or get a guided city sightseeing tour (available at any desired day/time, also in English language)
- Herborn is also popular for hiking - there are qualified hiking trails starting (or ending) in Herborn, like the "Westerwaldsteig" and the "Lahn-Dill-Berglandpfad", very attractive hiking routes, leading through the beautiful landscape with many forests and exciting views!
There is a shopping centre in the "Au", located near Wellenbad. Additionally, there are numerous other markets and shopping locations throughout the whole town as well as the districts.
Local specialities are "Schlumpeweck" and "Fastebrezel" in a few bakeries and/or cafés. Also, Herborn is famous for its meats.
- Herborner Bärenbräu. For more than 100 years, the brewery has brewed beer in Herborn. Today you can enjoy a house-brewed beer in the guesthouse-brewery "Gutshof" with beer-garden, small playground, hotel.
There are many hotels, guest houses and holiday flats available in Herborn. For any question, please contact the tourist information office in the town hall, telephone (Germany) 2772 7081900.
- 1 Schloss Hotel Herborn, Schloßstraße 4-6, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel & Restaurant Hohe Schule, Schulhofstraße 3-5, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel with 9 rooms in a historic school from 1584.
- 3 Hotel zum Löwen, Turmstraße 2, ☏ , email@example.com. Hotel with 12 rooms in different size and decor, free Wi-Fi.
Stadtmarketing Herborn GmbH, Hauptstraße 39, D-35745 Herborn, Germany. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org