Hermanus is situated at South Africa's south coast, near the Garden Route. It is particularly famous as the "best land-based whale watching destination in the world", with southern right whales easily seen from shore during winter and spring months.
Hermanus, a picturesque seaside town situated in the Overberg area and on Walker Bay, is a popular holiday village close to Cape Town. The town is world famous for the Southern right whales that are seen from shore during the winter months. Every year these gentle creatures of the sea migrate along the coast of South Africa with Walker Bay as one of their destinations, to calve and nurture their young. From the harbour of Hermanus, boat trips depart on a regular basis to see these majestic whales from up-close. One can also stay ashore as Hermanus is the best land based whale watching destination in South Africa, and possibly the world, especially during the Hermanus Whale Festival.
Apart from whale watching, the area of Hermanus boasts some excellent holiday accommodation such as the Misty Waves. Also, plenty of possibilities to spend the day in an active way: hiking, fishing, boating, horse back riding, and more.
Hermanus boasts of being the "best land-based whale watching destination in the world". Whale season runs from June through December, with Southern right whales easily seen from shore through the winter months. Since 1992 the Hermanus whale crier has roamed the shores downtown, blowing a horn to announce any sightings.
Go on a boat tour to see whales from very close. You might also see some from the coast and there is a whale watcher, whose only job is to spot whales that come along.
- Hermanus Whale Festival. October. This multi-day festival celebrates the return of the whales and draws over 100,000 visitors to the town. Events include a live music stage, food, sports, activities for kids, arts, nature activities, and quite a bit more. Be aware that having thousands upon thousands of people descending upon a small town with limited access makes for traffic nightmares and plan accordingly.
- Southern Right Charters ( corner of Westcliff Dr & Stil Rd), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers boat based whale watching in Walker Bay, with daily departures from June to December, aboard their purpose built catamaran which provides superior stability. On the trip you can mostly encounter the southern right whales, seals, penguins and marine birds, and often see dolphins, bryde’s and humpback whales on many of their trips.
- Percy Tours, 48 Main Rd, ☎ . Percy Tours offer designer tours (and transfers) of Hermanus, Cape Town and the Western Cape with a fleet of luxury minibuses and cars, with Chauffeur Tour Guides on board. Wine Tours, Safaris, Whale Watching, Great White Shark cage diving, airport transfers, Quad Biking, Cessna plane flights over the whales, and kayaking with the whales.
- Mosaic Farm, ☎ . On the south side of the Hermanus lagoon. Magnificent setting looking across the lagoon to the mountain from the restored stone manor house, "The Spookhouse", or from luxury African style Lagoon Lodge.
- FrancolinHof Guest House, 44 10th Ave, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. This four star guest house is the first to receive a Gold rating for Accessibility. From R410 per person, discounted in winter.
- Hermanus Seafront, 31 Tobago Bay, ☎ . Self-catering accommodation, one-bedroom holiday apartment overlooks the sea - excellent for whale-watching or as a base to explore the region. From R600 per night.
- 19th Hole Guest Lodge, 281 Main Rd, ☎ . Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 11AM. 4 Star Bed and Breakfast that was once the golf course club house and is therefor situated on the 27 hole Hermanus golf course. All 5 rooms are en-suite with French doors opening onto the golf course. The swimming pool area is ideal for relaxation and soaking up that South African sun. R900.
- Milkwood Lodge Hermanus, 152 Seventh St, ☎ . Check-in: 12h30, check-out: 11h00. 4 star guesthouse that offers B&B and selfcatering accommodation with en-suite rooms that have private patios and private entrances, some with twin and other with kingsize beds. There is a one bedroom cottage which is fully equipped and caters for 2 adults and 2-3 children. There are day beds in the lounge for the children. There are some rooms that cater for families. There is a swimming pool and barbeque facilities for guests use. R450.