High Level marks the northern extent of the Peace River Country, and has one of the northernmost lands suited for agriculture in Canada. The name High Level originated from the height of the land that separates the Peace and the Hay Rivers. The original location was approximately 5.6 km (3.5 mi) north of the present location and along the old Fort Vermilion/Meander River freighting trail, serving as a stopping place, not a settlement. The first fur traders arrived in this area in 1786, but it was not until 1947 that High Level was settled, with development of road access to Fort Vermilion being the primary factor in determining the town's present location. Oil deposits were discovered in the 1960s, and a railway was run to the area in 1963.
- 1 High Level Airport (YOJ IATA) (13 km (8 mi) north of High Level on Hwy 35), ☏ . Flights to High Level Airport are available from Edmonton and Hay River on Central Mountain Air and on Northwestern Air.
It is located at the intersection of the Mackenzie Highway (Highway 35) and Highway 58, approximately 280 km (170 mi) north of Grimshaw and 312 km (194 mi) south of Hay River; it's approximately 733 km (455 mi) north of Edmonton.
Northern Express provides bus service to Grande Prairie and Edmonton.
High Level has has no public transit system. Rental cars are available at the High Level Airport.
- Mackenzie Crossroads Museum and Visitor Centre, 10803 96 Street. Late May to Sep: Su-W 10AM-6OM, Th-Sa 9AM-8PM. The history and development of the area since the 1900s. The primary exhibit, the “Northern Trading Post”, features over 1600 food and medicine containers, donated by local residents. These, plus other artifacts in use during the late 1800s and early 1900s, are showcased in a typical Trading Post/General Store setting with living quarters attached. Supplementary displays feature farming, trapping, and Native peoples of the region, and a regional historical photo display.
- Fox Haven Golf Course, ☏ . 18-hole course 3 km north of High Level. Because of the long hours of sunshine during the summer, golfers can even tee off on the 18th hole at 11:30PM in June.
- A&W, 10110 97 Street, ☏ .
- Boston Pizza, 9506 114 Avenue, ☏ .
- Canton Restaurant, 9908 100 Avenue, ☏ .
- Family Chinese & Western Restaurant, 10014 97 Street, ☏ .
- KFC, 10311 96 Street, ☏ .
- Matt's Pizza, 10009 100 Avenue, ☏ .
- Mirage Restaurant & Lounge, 9616 Highway 58, ☏ .
- Stardust Restaurant, 9704 97 Street, ☏ .
- Subway, 11002 Rainbow Blvd, ☏ .
- Tim Hortons, 2 Gateway Blvd, ☏ .
- Traditions Garden Cafe & Gift Shop, 9907 100 Avenue, ☏ .
Hotels & motels
- Best Western Plus, 9616 Highway 58, ☏ .
- Days Inn High Level, 10101 96 Street, ☏ .
- Econo Lodge, 9722 97 Street, ☏ .
- Quality Inn & Suites, 9704 97 Street, ☏ .
- Flamingo Inn, 9802 97 Street, ☏ .
- Super 8, 9502 114 Avenue, ☏ .
- Aspen Ridge Campground, +1 780-926-4540 (3 km south of High Level).
- Fox Haven Golf & Country Club (3 km north of High Level), ☏ .
- Grimshaw – 280 km south
- Peace River – 296 km south
- Grande Prairie – 452 km south
- Edmonton – 733 km south
- Northwest Territories border – 190 km north
- Hay River – 312 km north
- Yellowknife – 716 km north
|Routes through High Level|
|Yellowknife ← Enterprise ← becomes ←||N S||→ Grimshaw → END|