Enterprise is a significant point on the Northwest Territories highway system, as all traffic originating from Alberta en route to the two largest population centres, Yellowknife and Hay River, must pass through. It was established in the winter of 1948-49 when a service station was opened at the junction of the Mackenzie Highway and the Mills Lake winter road, which connected to the Mills Lake freight staging area on the Mackenzie River below Fort Providence. In 1959-1960, the highway was extended to Yellowknife on the north side of Great Slave Lake, increasing Enterprise junction's importance.
Enterprise has a subarctic climate with the yearly mean temperature being below zero in spite of the relatively warm summers around 22 °C (72 °F) resulting in Enterprise being well below the tree line in the boreal forest. Winter average highs are around −20 °C (−4 °F) with lows being −31 °C (−24 °F), typical of the boreal forests north of the prairies.
There are some waterfalls not far from Enterprise.
- 1 Alexandra Falls (10 km south of Enterprise on Hwy 1 in the Alexandra Falls Territorial Park Day Use Area). 32 m (105 ft) waterfall on the Hay River; 4 km dayhike upriver from Louise Falls and Twin Falls Gorge Territorial Park.
- 2 Louise Falls (9 km south of Enterprise on Hwy 1 in Twin Falls Gorge Territorial Park). Tiered, 15 m (49 ft) waterfall on the Hay River; 4 km dayhike downriver from Alexandra Falls.
- 3 McNallie Creek Falls (37 km north of Enterprise on Hwy 1 in the McNallie Creek Falls Territorial Park Day Use Area).
- 1 Winnies Dene Art Gallery and Gift Shop, 120 Gateway Drive, ☏ . Tu-Su 11AM-6PM. Specializing in high quality Dene arts and fine crafts.
Eat and drink
The nearest places to get food and drink are in Hay River.
There are more lodgings in Hay River.
- 1 60th Parallel Territorial Park (84 km south of Enterprise on Hwy 1 at the Alberta/NWT border).
- 2 Twin Falls Gorge Territorial Park (9 km south of Enterprise on Hwy 1).
|Routes through Enterprise|
|Fort Simpson ← Yellowknife via ←||N S||→ becomes → High Level → Peace River|
|END ← Hay River ←||N S||→ END|