There is a large number of hiking trails in South Africa with levels of difficulty, accecability and luxury to suit any taste.
To ensure that you have a safe, healthy and enjoyable hike, also see Wilderness backpacking and Packing for a week of hiking. You may also be able to find more detailed descriptions of each trail on WikiOutdoors.
- Dassie Interpretive Trail, Augrabies, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Augrabies Falls National Park, 5km. No cost.
- The Num-Num Trail - 5 days, Mpumalanga, between Machadodorp and Badplaas, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mpumalanga, 42km 5 day hiking trail. 2 - 4 day hikes available. Equipped kitchens, hot showers, slackpacking. Waterfalls, yellow-wood forests, game, birds, ancient ruins, trees, gorges. Cost R150pppn (+VAT). R855 full 5 days
- [dead link] Otter Trail, Tsitsikamma, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tsitsikamma National Park 5 Days, 42km, The trail to do in South Africa. R685pp.
- Strandloper Hiking Trail, East London, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. East London area, 5 Days, 60km along the coast. R350.
- Rhebok Hiking Trail, Drakensberg, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Golden Gate Highlands National Park, 2 Days. R70.
- Klipspringer Hiking Trail, Augrabies, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Augrabies Falls National Park, 3 Days, 40km. R125.
- The Orangekloof Hiking Trail, Cape Town, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Cape Town, 6 Days, Cape Point to Table Mountain. R420.
- The Cape of Good Hope Trail, Cape Town, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Table Mountain National Park, 34km, 2 Days. R88.
- Melkriver Hiking Route, Vaalwater, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Close to Vaalwater, about 100km north of Nylstroom. R80 for 1 day to R400 for 6 day hike.
- Amatola, King Williams Town. Eastern Cape, King Williams Town to Hogsback or Wolf River or portions thereof, 14km to 100km, 1 to 6 days. R50 per night.
- [dead link] Rietvlei Nature Reserve, Gauteng (From the R21, take the Irine Rietvlei Dam offramp and follow the signs), ☏ . A little bit of Africa left in the hart of Gauteng R40 for day hikes and R80 for overnight hikes.
- Alexandria Hiking Trail, Alexandria, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Alexandria, 2 Days
- Amadiba Adventures, Wild Coast, ☏ . Eastern Cape, 50km
- Ecowa Trail, Elliot, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Elliot, 47km
- Fort Fordyce, Fort Beaufort, ☏ . Eastern Cape,Fort Beaufort, 25km
- Kariega Trail, Kenton-on-Sea, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Kenton-on-Sea, 8 to 10km
- Katberg Loop Trail, Balfour, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Balfour, 18km
- Lammergeier, Lady Grey, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Lady Grey, 15km
- Mkambati, Flagstaff, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Flagstaff (South Africa), 15km
- Lily Pad Hiking Trail, Port Alfred, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Port Alfred, 12km
- Transkaroo Hiking Trail, Middelburg, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Middelburg (Eastern Cape, 40km
- Tyume Indigenous Forest, Hogsback, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Hogsback, 22km
- Woodcliffe Cave, Maclear, ☏ . Eastern Cape, Maclear, 39km
- Wild Coast Amble, Meander and Pando Walk, Wild Coast, ☏ . Eastern Cape, 46 to 56km
- Table Mountain (Starting point is 1.5km past the Lower Cable Station on Tafelberg Road). Always open, but you might want to start early enough to catch the last cable car down. Cape Town, 3km (all uphill), 1 to 3 hours, Platteklip Gorge to the Upper Cable Station. No fees are charged.
- 1 Gecko Trail, Montagu, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Montagu, A wilderness hiking trail, Day 1 (17km / 9h) starts at the Nuy Valley (near Worcester) via the Nuy River Gorge to Simonskloof a down to earth & eco friendly mountain retreat. Day 2 (15km / 6h) takes you via the ridge of the Langeberg to Tolbos Farm in the Koo Valley. Alternatively there is a more strenuous route (14km / 8h) via Paardekloof down to Penhill Manor in the Nuy Valley. The hikes includes some serious ascents and descents as well as a multitude of river crossings on Day 1. The Trails can be hikes in any direction, best time of the year is March - November to avoid the heat of the summer. R50.
- 2 Nuy River Gorge Kloofing, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Montagu, Oct-Apr. A one- or two-day kloofing (canyoneering) trip into a remote gorge including abseiling, boulder hopping, bivouacking and swimming. Meals and guiding included, alternatively go self catered. R1900.
- Devil's Hoek Valley. Royal Natal National Park, Starts next to the Tugela river at the car park near Thendele, 6km, 2 hours, easy walk. Some Bushman rock art along the way.
- [dead link] Tugela Gorge Walk. Royal Natal National Park, The trail starts next to the Tugela river at the car park near Thendele, 23km return trip, 5 to 6 hours. A relatively easy walk except for the last 2km that required 3 river easy crossings and some boulder hopping. At the far point of the walk you will see spectacular view of the Amphitheatre, Sentinel and Tugela Falls.
- Cederberg Heritage Route Slackpacking Trails, Cederberg Mountains, Western Cape, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Northern Cederberg Wilderness area, three to five day trails, fully catered with luggage transport. Guided rock art walk and traditional donkey cart ride included.
Prior booking is essential for all trails in the park.
All trails are 2 Days and 3 Nights, starting at 3:30PM. R2 350 per person, hut accommodation and meals are included.
- Bushman Trail. Start from Berg en Dal
- Metsi-Metsi Trail. Start from Skukuza
- Napi Trail. Start from Pretoriuskop
- Nyalaland Trail. Start from Punda Maria
- Olifants Trail. Start from Letaba
- Sweni Trail. Start from Satara
- Wolhuter Trail. Start from Berg en Dal
- Olifants River Back Pack Trail. 42km, 4 Days, from Olifants to Letaba, no frills, no trace camping, no camps provided, sleep in your own tent out in the park with the wildlife. R10 560 for up to 8 people.
Designed for the not so fit or those who do not want to rough it.
On luxury trails you generally only have to carry a light daypack, you will sleep in luxury accommodation every night and all meals are prepared for you.
- Strandloper Sundowner Trail, East London, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. East London area, 5 Days, 60km, Definitely a splurge hike. R2400.
- Oystercatcher Trail, Mossel Bay, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mossel Bay area, 5 Days (Mossel Bay to Gourits River) or 3 Days (Boggomsbaai to Gourits River).
- Dolphin Trail, Tsitsikamma, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Garden Route area, 2 Days, 17km, R3000.
- Hoerikwaggo Table Mountain Trail, Cape Town, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Cape Town, 3 Day, non-strenuous, luxury trail through the city, botanical gardens and Table Mountain National Park R635 per day.
- Wartrail Skywalk, Eastern Cape Drakensberg, near Barkly East, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Drakensberg area, 4 Day guided slackpacking tour. R3,575-R4,395 inclusive of accommodation, guiding, transportation of luggage and delicious home-cooked meals.
Trails for the disabled
- Glenholme trail for disabled & blind persons, Glenholme Nature Reserve, ☏ . Durban, Caters for wheelchairs and the blind with elevated walkway and guide rails and braille plaques.
There are also a number of stores specializing in outdoors equipment and supplies. You will find anything from water purification tablets to hiking boots and sleeping bags at Camp World and Outdoor Warehouse.