Kenton-on-Sea is a town of 5,200 people (2011) in the Sunshine Coast region. Kenton-on-Sea is within easy reach of the Addo Elephant Park and the well-known Shamwari Game Reserve and Kariega Game Reserve.
Kenton-on-Sea lies between two tidal rivers and offers beaches. The seafront comprises calm estuaries, sheltered rocky coves and long expanses of pristine sand. The Bushman and Kariega Rivers are also pleasant places to take part in activities detailed below. This area is steeped in history and there are many surrounding towns like Grahamstown, Alexandria, Bathurst and Salem which are rich in historical value and worth a visit. For the avid golfer there are two excellent courses within easy reach.
The beaches at Kenton-On-Sea have been voted as the best in South Africa. They offer a choice of beautiful secluded coves, long expanses of sand, unspoilt dunes, and easy swimming in the lagoons and the sea.
Swimming, surfing, fishing, snorkeling, collecting shells, or just strolling on the beach can all be part of a day in Kenton. Boats are available for hire for cruising up the two tidal rivers that form the borders of Kenton, the Bushmans and Kariega Rivers. These rivers also offer superb fishing, sailing, water skiing and windsurfing.
Horse trails and canoe trails are also available at Kenton.
- Beachcomber Horse Trails, ☏ .
- Assegai Trails, ☏ . Situated outside Kenton
- Boat Registrations, ☏ .
- Halyards Boats, ☏ .
- Kenton Marina. For Boat registrations
- Kingfisher Cruises, ☏ .
- Sunshine Coast Charters, ☏ . Deep sea charters
- Kenton Marina Canoe and paddle ski hire, ☏ .
Bird watching is most rewarding in this part of the Eastern Cape, with horse riding trails through indigenous Milkwood forests.
Various game reserves have been established along the upper reaches of both rivers. The unspoiled riverine bush is renowned for its bird-life and adds another dimension to the beauty of Kenton-on-Sea, which forms part of the South African Whale Route. Malaria-free Game Reserves (including Kariega, Sibuya, Amakala, Lalibela, Shamwari, Pumba, Kwandwe and Addo) are within easy driving distance.
Royal Port Alfred, Alexandria and Fish River golf courses are nearby.
- 16 Devon Road, 16 Devon Rd, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Self-catering accommodation, accommodates up to 8 people. Offers wonderful views of the Kariega river mouth, spacious open plan living, four bedrooms and two bathrooms (1 en suite).
- River Roost, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Comfortable, secluded cottage on the Bushman’s river.
- Wings B&B and SC, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Overlooks Bushmans River mouth, with a view many kilometres along the sea shore to Diaz Cross. Separate from owners' accommodation, with private garden, own entrance and lounge.
- Woodlands (3 km from Kenton, on the way to Grahamstown), ☏ . Nestled in its own indigenous garden with private pathways leading down to the river.
- The Oyster Box Beach House, firstname.lastname@example.org, ☏ . This daily-serviced holiday villa has a spectacular view on the South African coastline - overlooking the infinity pool, you see miles of beaches and golden sunsets. The house is decorated and sleeps up to 8 as SC or B&B.
- Driftwood, email@example.com, ☏ . Driftwood has an indoor/outdoor entertainment and barbecue area. Open plan, includes a working fireplace at the heart of the lounge. The house sleeps up to 10 people.
- The Oyster Shack, firstname.lastname@example.org, ☏ . You hear the sounds of birds and the ocean from inside the Oyster Shack, which sleeps up to 8 people in 4 bedrooms and can cater for SC or B&B.