Hjørundfjord is in Møre og Romsdal county, Norway. Along with Geiranger it is one of the iconic fjords of Sunnmøre district in Western Norway. The Hjørundfjord is characterized by the numerous alpine summits ("Sunnmøre alps") rising directly from the deep fjord.
One poet wrote enthusiastically: "In the heart of Sunnmøre there is a wondrous alpine world of tall, steep, jagged mountains, which constitute Sunnmøre's landmark and presents the most striking image of its peculiar and magnificent scenery. And amidst this chaos of edges and summits, the Hjørundfjord cuts into the south as a powerful wedge, 36 km long and 2 km wide."
Previously a key destination in the western fjords, but has become overshadowed by nearby Geiranger. Hjørundfjord is one of the iconic fjords surrounded by steep hills and with limited settlements (mostly on the river deltas). Unlike many other fjords in West Norway, Hjørundfjord is surrounded by sharp alpine peaks rising directly from the deep fjord. The surrounding mountains are therefore known as Sunnmøre Alps. The Sunnmøre Alps has been described as a Jotunheim surfing on the Atlantic waves, as Lofoten relocated to the fjords of West Norway. Along with western Jotunheimen, Lofoten, Lyngen alps and Romsdal alps, Hjørundfjord area is among Norway's mountaineering hotspots. The saw blade ridges of Molladalen are particularly interesting. Sunnmøre Alps also include summits in Sykkylven and partly also in Hornindal, Volda and Stranda districts, but all centred on Hjørundfjord.
One poet wrote:
- "The mountains here are not massifs and ranges with sloping sides and polled top. There are tags, spikes, studs, pillars, horns and claws - a jumble of bold, chiseled, bizarre shapes, rising vertically from fjord or valley, so they can be seen in its entire height from head to foot as regularly also manifests itself through apts names such as Troll's church, White Blade, the Screw, the Sailboat, Scissors. It is a quite outstanding world of rock that is enough to justify the appellation: the Sunnmøre Alps. It all resembles a painting from an imaginative artist's hand, in which there not a single dead point."
Hjørundfjord has ancient farming settlements in the avalanche-safe areas. The rural town of Sæbø has Hjørundfjord's main church, stores, cafe, doctor's office, old folks home, school, library, park, hotels, boarding, etc.
Hjørundfjord is visible from Ålesund's eastern suburbs.
Most of Hjørundfjord is administratively within Ørsta municipality.
- 1 Ørsta/Volda Airport (HOV IATA), Hovden. The closest airport
- 2 Ålesund Airport, Vigra (AES IATA). Nearest major airport
Traditionally, since the Viking Age, the usual route into Hjørundfjord was by way of sea. The coastal city of Ålesund is the natural commercial center of the region. There are no regular boats or ferries directly from Ålesund, but in the summer sightseeing tours by boat or Hurtigruten from Ålesund.
- From Ørsta to Standal (Road 655 then 55)
- From Ørsta to Sæbø (Road 655)
- From Volda to Sæbø (Road 45 then 655)
- From Ålesund to Standal (Road E136 then E39, ferry to Festøya and then road 70)
- From Volda to Bjørke and Viddal (Road E39 then 41)
- From Hellesylt to Urke (Road 60 then 655)
The Hjørundfjord ferry connects the various farming settlements, including Trandal and Skår.
- 1 Hjørundfjord. The fjord itself is best seen from water, by sightseeing boat or by the zig-zag car ferry.
- Bellingen Cafe, 6166 Sæbø, ☏ .
- Christian Gaard Bygdetun, Trandal, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Home of the annual Trandal Blues Festival.
- 1 Hotel Union Øye, Norangsfjorden, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Classical wooden hotel.
- 2 Hjørundfjord Camping, Sæbø, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open from 1 June to 1 September (some cabins can be rented the whole year). Tent: kr 80, Cabin: kr 280-700.
- 3 Sagafjord Hotel, Sæbø, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Knutegarden-Norangdal, Norangsfjorden, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. kr 300 per person.
As Norway in general, Hjørundfjord is a very safe area. Hikers should avoid steep snowfields and must never walk on glaciers.
|Routes through Hjørundfjord|
|Bergen ← Førde ←||S N||→ Ålesund → Trondheim|