Huanggang (黄冈) is a city in Hubei Province.
Huanggang has 12 administrative divisions, including Huangzhou District, Macheng City, Wuxuan City, Hong'an County, Huangmei County, Luotian County, Qichuan County, Tuanfeng County, Yingshan County, Xishui County, the Longgang Lake Administrative District and the Huanggang Economic Development Area. The city's main urban area is in Huangzhou District.
The nearest airport is Wuhan Tianhe International Airport in Wuhan. There are direct buses from the airport to some of Huanggang's outer areas, including Hong'an County. Luotian County, Macheng City, Qichuan County and Yingshan County. However, if you're going to Huanggang's main urban area, you will need to change buses or trains somewhere. One option would be to take a bus to Fujiapo Bus Station (傅家坡客运站) in Wuhan's Wuchang District and then catch a bus to Huanggang from there.
There are four railway stations in Huanggang's main urban area:
- 1 Huanggang Railway Station (黄冈站), Lukou Avenue, Huangzhou District (黄州区路口大道) (There is a bus stop outside the station, which is served by bus nos. 9, 19, 23 and 105. Bus nos. 9, 19 and 105 connect the station to the city centre).
- 2 Huanggang East Railway Station (黄冈东站), Xinhua Road, Huangzhou District (黄州区新华路) (Bus no. 105 connects the station to the city centre).
- 3 Huanggang West Railway Station (黄冈西站), Provincial Highway 112, Huangzhou District (黄州区112省道) (There is a bus stop outside the station, which is served by bus nos. 1, 6, 7 and 22. All these buses go to the city centre).
- 4 Huangzhou Railway Station (黄州站), Jinggang Road, Huangzhou District (黄州区京港路) (Bus no. 101 links the station to the city center). This station only serves regular-speed trains.
- 5 Donghua Bus Station (东华客运站), 98 Mingzhu Avenue, Huangzhou District (黄州区明珠大道98号) (Local bus routes 6, 18, 23, 25 and 108), ☏ .
- 6 Huangzhou Bus Station (黄州客运站), 90 Baota Avenue, Huangzhou District (黄州区宝塔大道90号) (near the intersection of Baota Avenue (宝塔大道) and Xihu 2nd Road (西湖二路); local bus routes 24, 101, 102, 103 and 107), ☏ . Huanggang's main bus station.
- 1 Huanggang Museum (黄冈博物馆), 110 Mingzhu Avenue, Huangzhou District (黄州区明珠大道110号) (The nearest bus stop is Dongfang Square, which is served by bus nos. 9, 18, 25, 102, and 108), ☏ (enquiries), (bookings), ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30, closed on M. Free.
- 2 Su Dongpo's Red Cliffs (东坡赤壁, Dongpo Chibi), 11 Gongyuan Road, Huangzhou District (黄州区公园路11号) (take bus no. 8 to Chibi Park (赤壁公园) and walk from there), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 07:30-17:00. According to some sources, most notably Su Dongpo's 11th-century poem 'Former Ode on the Red Cliffs', this place was the site of the Battle of Red Cliffs, a famous battle in the late Han Dynasty. This claim, however, is disputed. Many people both inside and outside of academia claim other sites such as Chibi are more likely to have been the location of the battle. Nevertheless, a number of halls and pavilions have been built here over the centuries to commemorate the battle and Su Dongpo's poetry ¥40.
- 3 [dead link] Yiai Lake Park (遗爱湖公园), Chibi Avenue, Huangzhou District (黄州区赤壁大道) (The main entrance is on the northern side of the park. Take bus no. 6, 9, 16 (inner or outer circle routes), 81 or 102), ☏ . The park is open all day. The Su Dongpo Memorial Museum is open from 09:00 to 11:00 and from 14:30 to 16:30, except on Mondays. The largest park in the Huanggang urban area. Includes a museum about Su Dongpo (1037-1101), a famous writer and artist during the Song Dynasty. Free.