The village of Hythe lies in a pivotal position on the western shore of Southampton Water abutting the New Forest. In the area now known as the Waterside, Hythe is the central village of numerous small communities vastly expanded by dormitory housing serving the petrochemical industries in the Waterside and the City of Southampton.
The Hythe ferry is a practical and charming way to travel between Hythe and the Town Quay in central Southampton. An adult single/return costs £3.90/£5.50. Cycles are carried for free. The ferry departs every half hour, 7 days a week and the journey takes about 15 minutes. If you like quirky transport and spectacular sea views then journey is worth making just for fun. A free shuttle bus operates at the Southampton end between the Town Quay, the West Quay shopping centre and Southampton Central station.
Hythe no longer has its own train service – the last train ran in 1966 and the station is now the village museum. However you can reach Hythe easily from the stations at Lymington and Southampton
There are couple of local taxi companies providing local and long distance travel services from major airports, towns, bus and rail stations to Hythe. New Forest Taxi  and Soton Taxi  provide instant cab/taxi booking facility.
- Taxi fare is approximately £80 from Heathrow, £90 from Gatwick, 130 from Luton and £20 from Southampton, £30 from Bournemouth airport.
Hythe is on the eastern edge of the New Forest.
- 1 Hythe Pier. At 2,100 feet (640 m), this 19th-century iron pier is one of the ten longest piers in the British Isles. In 1909 tracks were laid for use by hand-propelled trolleys to carry goods and luggage. In 1922 a narrow gauge electric railway opened to take passengers the full length of the Pier. This railway with its original engine and rolling stock is still operational and an important part of the local transport system to Southampton.
- St Johns Church. Consecrated in 1874, the church still provides an impressive backdrop as you enter the village from the south.
- Cycle Xperience, Unit 4A, South Centre HYTHE Hampshire SO45 6EB, ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-5:30PM. Decent specialist bike shop offering hire/rental as well as sales.
- Boathouse Hotel, Hythe Marina, ☏ .
|Routes through Hythe|
|Southampton ←||N S||→ END|
|merges with ←||N S||→ Beaulieu → Lymington|