Hyvinkää (population 47,000 in 2021) is a town in Southern Finland. It provides many opportunities to exercise in nature. The green and verdant city also offers various cultural experiences.
Hyvinkää’s Tourist Office is in city hall, address Kankurinkatu 4-6 building O. It is open M-Th 08:00–16:00 F 08:00–15:00. The Tourist Office provides brochures and maps of Hyvinkää area and various destinations and cities across Finland. The services are free for all customers. You can find free brochures also from Prisma shopping centre, Kauppakuja 2
Hyvinkää community was founded 1917 and it became a town in 1960. Before 1917 Hyvinkää was part of Nurmijärvi community.
Hyvinkää is about 50 km from Finland's capital Helsinki along the Helsinki–Tampere railway. Highway 3 (E12) between Helsinki and Vaasa passes near the centre.
Hyvinkää is on the backbone railway from Helsinki northward to Tampere and farther, but you need to take or transfer to one of the suburban trains to or from Helsinki (R, H or T). See VR. It is a 45-min train ride from Helsinki, 1½–2 hr from Tampere.
- 1 Railway station.
There are several coaches operating from Helsinki to Hyvinkää. Most stop at the bus station, some late buses just pass Hyvinkää by Highway 3 (E12). The ride takes 1–1½ hr depending on whether it is direct or not. Some services between Helsinki and Tampere stop at highway 3, stop name in Matkahuolto schedule search is "Hyvinkää liittymä 16". See Matkahuolto.
Hyvinkää’s centre is 2 km from highway 3 (E12). The south side of Hyvinkää borders road 25 between Porvoo and Hanko.
Hyvinkään liikenne  operates 6 regular-schedule local bus lines. The ticket costs €2.50 for adults or €1.50 for children under the age of 12. The ticket allows one immediate change at the railway station, where all the buses depart from. Buses usually go every half an hour, at 15 and 45 minutes past from the railway station and at 00 and 30 minutes past from the other end of the route. Matkahuolto Reittiopas route planner includes information about local bus lines. Routes and Tickets mobile app has an address based routing and also a ticket purchase option directly from the app.
Hyvinkää is well known as a bicycling city. Grab a free cycling map from the tourist information centre.
- See also: Finland#By motorised scooter
You can rent electric kick scooters for use in the centre from Finnish Swup.
- See Uusimaa#By taxi for information about companies and fares
- 1 Finnish Railway Museum, Hyvinkäänkatu 9. Some 30 locomotives (10 steam driven, the oldest one from 1868) and many cars, including three cars of the Finnish train of the Russian emperor and the car of the president of Finland. Also exhibitions with other objects and photographs. There is a 1:8 railway on the museum premises. Founded already in 1898, moved here 1973–1974. The museum is in a historically significant place – the station and train yard for Hanko–Hyvinkää railway from early 1870s. You can get a special cachet on your letters and postcards if you mail them through the mailbox on the museum grounds. €3–8.
- Hyvinkää art museum, Hämeenkatu 3 D (2nd floor of Jussintori building). M closed, Tu–Th 11:00–18:00, F–Su 11:00–17:00. Art changes few times a year, most often local painters and sculptors. €4.
- Villa Arttu, Kankurinkatu 4–6 (Wanha Villatehdas). Daily 12:00–16:00. Child and youth culture centre.
- Valvilla – textile museum, Kankurinkatu 4–6 (Wanha Villatehdas, yard side). W 12:00-15:00 or by appointment. The museum tells the story of the Valvilla textile plant, which was founded by Ossian Donner in 1892. It processed wool for almost 100 years and grew to one of the largest and most diverse textile plants in Finland. The plant has been closed for some time and the surrounding areas are being built as housing. €1.
- Hyvinkää - artist community, Vaiveronkatu 10. Tu–Su. Gallery with local art.
The city is surrounded by nature and therefore it provides people who enjoy sports excellent opportunities to exercise for example in the Sveitsi nature park, swimming pool or ski centre. There are also many interesting sports associations in Hyvinkää, for example pesäpallo team Hyvinkään Tahko, playing in Superpesis, American football team Hyvinkää Falcons, ice hockey teams H.K.H., Hyvinkää Storm and Hyvinkää Bruins and football (soccer) team Hyvinkään Palloseura,
- 1 Piilolammin luontopolku, Piilolammintie 162 (Road 1361, sign Piilolammintie). Nature trail revolves around the forest pond, following the paths of the outdoor trails. The nature trail has dry rock forests, moist coastal marshes, a 19th century gabbro quarry and a small farmyard by the pond.
- 2 Hyvinkää Shooting Sport Center (Hyvinkään ampumaurheilukeskus), Kaidanpääntie 236 (First, Highway 25, next to the Road 1403 (sign Ridasjärven Kylätie) and finally sign Kaidanpääntie), ☏ +358 40 4129654. Saturday 10:00-15:00. A shooting range.
- 3 Kytäjä Golf, Kytäjäntie 1265 (located in the Kytäjä village near the Lake Kytäjärvi), ☏ +358 300 870880.
- 4 Nummenmäki DiscGolfPark, Ilmailutie 1.
There is a shopping centre, 1 Willa, which was opened in 2012. It has more than a hundred shops.
There are many restaurants in the center of Hyvinkää, for example Medicin Man, Martina, Amarillo and so on. There are also many places where you can get Asian food.
- 1 Corner Pizza, Uudenmaankatu 2, ☏ +358 1-941 5990, +358 44-067 7004, joonas.pekari(@pekarinsinappi.fi.
- 2 Pekari's Burger, Asemankatu 20, ☏ +358 40 543 20 65, joonas.pekari(@pekarinsinappi.fi.
- 3 Kuninkaan Grilli Pizzeria, Kauppalankatu 7-11, ☏ +358 45 106 61 11, email@example.com.
- 4 Turkinpippuri, Uudenmaankatu 29 D, ☏ +358 19 432 157, +358 40 024 1436, firstname.lastname@example.org. A Turkish restaurant.
- 5 Haarikka, Hämeenkatu 43, ☏ +358 19 417 937. A pub restaurant.
- 6 Mesta, Veikkarinkatu 9 (in the Veikkari district along the road 130), ☏ +358 40 829 0026, email@example.com. M–F 07:00–15:00. A lunch restaurant.
- 1 Oluthuone Joutsen, Hämeenkatu 3, ☏ +358 10 7664599.
- 2 Ale Pub, Uudenmaankatu 4-6, ☏ +358 10 76 64346. 09:00-04:00.
- 1 Scandic Hyvinkää, Hämeenkatu 2-4, ☏ +358 19 429-100. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. A small business hotel in a building from 1937. Free Wi-Fi. Bikes to borrow. Pets welcome. Children under 15 stay for free with their parents; separate adjacent room for teens at discounted price, subject to availability. Free outdoor parking.
- 2 Hotel Sveitsi, Härkävehmaankatu 4, ☏ +358 19 458-81. Quiet serene surroundings
Many businesses have Wi-Fi for customers, ask the staff for details.
For free Wi-Fi and internet terminals, check the 1 Hyvinkää City Library.
|Routes through Hyvinkää|
|Vaasa ← Riihimäki ←||N S||→ Nurmijärvi → Helsinki|
|Hanko ← Nurmijärvi ←||SW E||→ Mäntsälä → END|