Ierapetra is a city in Crete.
Having the distinction of being the southernmost city facing the African coast, Ierapetra enjoys the smoothest, almost rainless weather in Europe, with a temperature that rarely drops below 12oC all year. It has the largest population in the prefecture of Lassithi (East Crete) and the fourth largest in all Crete. In 2001 it had 15,400 inhabitants.
The closest airport with frequent domestic and charter flights is Sitia airport (58 km). There is also a ferry line from Piraeus to Sitia.
The visitor can take a leisurely walk in the vivid city centre, along the coast, in the small municipal park near the Town Hall, or in the quiet picturesque narrow streets of "Kato Mera" - the old part of the town.
- Walk with Donkeys Sanctuary, Anatoli (15 minutes drive from Ierapetra. Phone for directions and time), ☎ . appointment. A sanctuary for unwanted, injured and abused donkeys. Situated in a beautiful area just below the village of Anatoli there is a sanctuary for donkeys. Offering guided walks with the donkeys to carry the delicious picnic that is provided. Donkey rides for children. Farm visits to see donkeys and other animals. Get away from the tourists and enjoy the mountain air and peaceful nature and beauty. Phone for an appointment. tba.
The character and charm of the old warm neighborhood has been retained, whilst it has been given new life as a shopping and eating experience for the visitor. A tempting variety of shops, open-air cafes, bars, restaurants and traditional taverns, makes Ierapetra the ideal place to relax, enjoying shopping, eating, drinking or simply wandering around.
The prefecture of Lassithi produces probably the best "raki" in Crete, a white spirit made from grapes. Try it at some local "taverna" or "kafenio", together with "meze".
Huge, luxurious hotel complexes have been built in the last years inside and around Ierapetra. There are also lots of small guest houses and rent rooms.
- [dead link]Dorovinis Houses in Ierapetra. Is a group of restored Venetian houses in Anatoli Village.
- 1 Camping Koutsounari (beside Almyra Hotel), ☎ .
- El Greco Hotel, 42, "Mihali Kothri" St, ☎ , . 2-star hotel with 33 rooms. WC/bath or shower, satellite TV, air-conditioning, mini fridge.
- 2 Galaxy Hotel, 4, Omirias St, ☎ .
- 3 Kothris Apartments, Andrianou St, ☎ . Furnished apartments.
- 4 Zakros Hotel, 12, Andrianou St.
- Aroma Creta Hotel (Ferma village), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Astron Hotel, 56, Kothri Str., ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Blue Star Hotel (Katharades beachh), ☎ , .
- 5 Coriva Village (Ferma village), ☎ , , .
- Irene Villas, ☎ . Apartments
- 6 Kakkos Bay Hotel 3 Αστέρια (Ferma village), ☎ .
- Minoan Prince Hotel, ☎ .
- Nakou Village Apartments (Koutsounari), ☎ . 21 self-catering studios and apartments, built in 1987 and renovated in 2007. Satelite TV, Air-conditioning and Wi-Fi.
- 7 Porto Belissario (village of Ferma), ☎ , .
- 8 Arion Palace Hotel, ☎ , , . 4-star hotel. 82 rooms equipped with satellite TV, refrigerator, safe, telephone, hair dryer. 800 m from the beach
- Ostria Beach Hotel (Katharades beach), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 5 Stars hotel
- Creta Suites Resort (1 Km from Koutsounari beach), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 4 Stars hotel
- 9 Almyra Hotel & Village, 9th km of Ierapetra - Sitia Road (Koutsounari beach), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Upscale resort with private beach
- 10 Diktynna Luxury Villas (Anatoli village). 4-Stars residence complex
- 11 Petra Mare Hotel, 6, "Filotheou A'" Str, ☎ . 4-star hotel. 227 rooms with balcony
- 12 Sunshine Crete Beach & Village Hotels (Koutsounari beach), ☎ .
- Tylissos Beach Hotel, +30 28420 80546, +30 28420 23798 (on the outskirts of Ierapetra).
The street near the Town Hall is where most bars and small night clubs are gathered. They are popular with locals, especially during the holidays (July–August, Christmas and Easter), and on Friday and Saturday nights.
Eating and drinking is a major part of the Cretan merry-making, and can make a great night out. You get find some excellent food in taverns in the villages around Ierapetra, either on the sea side, or further higher on the surrounding mountains.