Île-aux-Moines (Breton: Izenah; the name in both languages means "island of the monks") is an island in Brittany. At 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) long and 3.5 kilometres (2.2 mi) wide, it's the largest island in the "Golfe du Morbihan" (Gulf of Morbihan), and has 610 inhabitants. The island is pretty, full of flowers, and has old stones and amazing landscapes. It is also good walking country.
- 1 Tourism Office, Rue Benoni Praud (D316a) (in Le Port), ☎ .
- 2 Mairie, Rue de la Mairie, BP2 (in Le Bourg), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Oct–Apr: M–Sa 09:00–12:00, closed every afternoon and on Sunday; May–Sep: M W F–Sa 09:00–12:00, Tu Th 09:00–12:00 & 15:00–17:00, closed on Sunday.
To get the ferry, you need to go in Port-Blanc in city of Baden (15 kilometres (9.3 mi) of Vannes)
From Vannes, you should take the orange bus line (Larmor-Baden - Vannes), near train station, but there are few buses each day, so you can also hitch-hike: take the bus in Place de la République, line 4 in direction "Mairie Arradon" and stop in station "Le Petit Molac" — you are on the road of Baden!
In Port-Blanc, you should take the ferry of Izenah Croisières. From 07:00 to 19:30, there is a ferry each half an hour, €4 round trip.
- 1 Izenah Croisières, Port-Blanc, Baden, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sep–Jun: M–Sa 07:00–19:00, Su 08:00–19:00; Jul–Aug: M–Sa 07:00–22:00, Su 08:00–22:00; Every 30 min (xx:05 and xx:35 from Port-Blanc, xx:00 and xx:30 from Île-aux-Moines). Round-trip: €5.20/adult, €2.90/child, free for child below than 4 years old, €4/bicycle.
The ferry drops passengers in 2 Le Port, Rue Benoni Praud (D316a) (on the west of the island).
Your can bring you own bicycle: the ferry charges €4 per bicycle, for each trip.
Several companies proposed to rent bicycle near the harbour:
- L'île à vélo, Rue Benoni Praud (D316a), Le Port, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. €5 for 2 hours, €10/day.
- Île-aux-Moines Locations, Rue Benoni Praud (D316a), Le Port, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. €6 for 2 hours, €12/day, €55/week; Electric bike: €13 for 2 hours, €25/day, €125/week.
- P'tit Louis, Rue Benoni Praud (D316a), Le Lerio (half the way to Le Bourg), ☎ , . €5 for 2 hours, €10/day.
On the island 3 walkway tours:
- The tour of Trec'h (1.8 km (1.1 mi) one-way, North, yellow): discover church Saint-Michel, and from the "Pointe Trec'h", beautiful view on Arradon and Island of Arz.
- The tour of Brouel (2.5 km (1.6 mi), East, red): discover chapel, fountain, and from the "Pointe of Brouel", a view on Island of Arz.
- The tour of Penhap (4.4 km (2.7 mi), South, blue): discover celtic megalith, view of the bay, thatched cottage, grove, and at 500 metres (1,600 ft) of Penhap, on the "Pointe de Nioul", a large view on peninsula of Rhuys.
- 1 Cromlech de Kergonan, Rue du Dolmen, Kergonan. Half-circle of 24 stones, dating from Neolithic period. Registered as an historic monuments in 1862. free of charge.
- 2 Dolmen de Penhap. Corridor dolmen in granite engraved with godess, 3 axes and axe-plough, dating from Neolithic period. Registered as an historic monuments in 1979. free of charge.
- 3 Alignement de Brouel (eastern end of island).
- 4 Dolmen de Kerno, Rue du Dolmen, Kerno.
- 5 Menhir de Kerno, Rue du Dolmen, Kerno.
- 6 Dolmen de Nihol, Route de Carlez, Point de Nouil (southern end of island).
- 7 Dolmens de Pen-Nioul, Route de Carlez, Point de Nouil (southern end of island).
- Dolmen de de Roh-Vian.
Ile-aux-Moines have 2 hotels, 1 holiday residence and numerous guest houses. There is also 1 camping.
- 1 Hôtel de l'Isle, Rue du Commerce (in Le Bourg), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. 8 rooms, each named by a place on island. Standard €75–90, Suite €120–130, +€9.50 for breakfast.
- Le San Francisco, Rue Benoni Praud (D316a), Le Port (just behind the tourism office), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 8 rooms, each named by islands of the Gulf of Morbihan. Wi-Fi. €100–165, +€12 for breakfast.
- 2 Kerisa guest house, Rue du Presbytère, Le Bourg, ☎ , , , e-mail: email@example.com. 6 rooms and 1 private suite. Free Wi-Fi. Standard €105–150/night, 4-perso suite €200–280/night.
- 3 La Maison Bleue, Le Poulfanc, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. House with 3 rooms and 1 salon/room. €620–1620/week.
- 4 Camping municipal Le Vieux Moulin, Rue du Vieux Moulin (near Le Bourg), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 28 Apr–23 Sep. 2-star camping, 44 locations. €7/person, tent rent for €15–20, Tent'équipées for €36–78.