Ilminster is a town of 5,800 people (2011) in Somerset. The town has the buildings of a 16th-century grammar school, the Ilminster Meeting House, which acts as the town's art gallery and concert hall. There is also a Gospel Hall.
The nearest running railway station is located at Crewkerne.
Several bus services run through the town, including Buses of Somerset and an express service to London operated by Berrys Coaches.
Ilminster lies just east of the junction of the A303 (London to Exeter) and the A358 (Taunton to Chard and Axminster). The B3168 runs through the middle of the town.
Ilminster is linked to Chard via the Chard to Ilminster Cycle Path. The path is part of the Wessex Way Cycle Route.
- 1 Barrington Court, Barrington, near Ilminster, TA19 0NQ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A National Trust-managed Tudor manor house from the 1500s.
- 2 Church of St Mary (The Minster). Ilminster takes its name from the River Isle and this church. The Hamstone building dates from the 15th century. Among the principal features are the Wadham tombs; those of Sir William Wadham and his mother, dated 1452 and Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham 1609 and 1618. The tower rises two storeys above the nave. It has three bays, with a stair turret to the north-west corner. The bays are articulated by slender buttresses with crocketed finials above the castellated parapet. Each bay on both stages contains a tall two-light mullioned-and-transomed window with tracery. The lights to the top are filled with pierced stonework; those to the base are solid. The stair turret has string courses coinciding with those on the tower, and a spirelet with a weathervane. It contains a bell dating from 1732 made by Thomas Bilbie and another from 1790 made by William Bilbie of the Bilbie family. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building.
- 3 Perry's Cider Brewery and Museum, The Cider Mills, Dowlish Wake, TA19 0NY, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 1 Ilminster Arts Centre, Frog Lane, TA19 0AN, ☏ . Friday night is music night.
- In November the town celebrates the lighting of the Christmas lights with a Victorian evening. This is normally accompanied by local shops serving rum and cakes.
- 1 Royal Oak, 29 The Cross, TA19 0EH, ☏ . -midnight.
- 2 The Stonemasons, Harts Cl, TA19 9DJ, ☏ . 11AM-11PM.
- 1 Best Western Shrubbery Hotel, Station Rd, Ilminster TA19 9AR, ☏ .
- 2 Lord Poulett Arms, High St, Hinton St George TA17 8SE, ☏ . Atmospheric country pub with comfy rooms and great dining. The public bar is open daily 11AM-11PM. B&B double £90.
|Routes through Ilminster|
|Exeter ← merges with at Upottery ←||W E||→ Yeovil → London|