Inis Meáin, one of the Aran Islands in County Galway, West Ireland, is well named. It is the middle island of the three, and has a size and population also almost exactly halfway between that of the other two islands.
The island is 5km by 3km and has a population of approximately 170. These people mostly live along a three kilometer stretch of road that traverses the centre of the island east to west. The island is an Irish-speaking area, but most inhabitants can speak English, if they feel like speaking to tourists (which they may not).
- Aran Directand Island Ferries, operate from Ros an Mhíl, in Connemara with bus connections to Galway City.
- Doolin Ferries, run boats from Doolin in County Clare.
- Aer Árann flights are available from Minna Airport in Connemara.
Inis Meain is highly accessible from the sea, via the harbour on the north side of the island. Ferries run regularly between here and rosaveal, and sail 364 days a year except in the most extreme adverse weather conditions.
- Ostan Inis Meain (Hotel Inis Meain), Lisheen Village, lnis Meain, The Aran lslands Co Galway (from the boat dock to the left, a large pink building; from the airport, turn left and walk 100 yards), ☎ . From breakfast to closing time. The nearest place for food and accommodation to both the port and the airport. Panoramic views of Galway Bay.
The island has a single, and very fine, pub, Teach Ósta.
There are B&Bs; alternately, knock on a door and ask if you can pay to pitch a tent in their field.
- An Dun B&B and Restaurant. ( Opposite the big stone fort just beyond the church.) Great place, spotless, with very friendly hosts, also does a great dinner in the evening if you tell them before mid-afternoon.
- Tig Congaile, Moore Village (straight form pier, first left, then right, then left, right again, 20 minute walk), ☎ . Check-in: 11, check-out: 12. Bed and breakfast and restaurant with scenic views looking out to the cliffs of Moher and Inis Oirr. Cuisine by the renowned chef Vilma a Guatemalan lady whose food is not to be missed. 45PPS.