- Westport – a town north of Galway. Home to Croagh Patrick, a mountain that is climbed barefoot by pilgrims in July, celebrating St Patrick. About an hour's drive from the town is Achill Island, a very popular surfing destination.
Both English and Irish are widely spoken in the West. As with the rest of Ireland, most Irish speakers are found in smaller and more isolated villages, while the cities are dominantly English speaking.
The M6 motorway from Dublin.
- Bus Éireann  is the main public transportation operator between smaller towns. Their network radiates outward from Galway City
- GalwayTransport.info  has listings and timetables links for both Bus Éireann and various private bus companies operating from/through Galway city to the smaller towns.
By car hire
Car hire is available from several agencies in the city and at the airport.
- Budget Car Rental Ireland  - Locations at both Galway Airport and Eyre Sq in Galway City Center
- Alamo / National
- Dan Dooley
- Enterprise Rent a Car
Several local car dealers operate car rentals. These include:
- Windsor Motors - located at Ballybrit
- Arch Motors - located at Westside
Roads outside the larger towns are often narrow and windy. Although this encourages you to slow down and appreciate the wonderful (if a little bleak) scenery, it does mean that getting around will probably take longer than you think.
- Hill walking. Around the county.