Ballina is in County Mayo in the Republic of Ireland. It is on the river Moy near the mouth of Killala bay. It is often used as a jumping point to the Céide Fields and the west Mayo and south Sligo areas, however the town itself represents a fine base.
Ballina can be reached most easily from Knock airport which is located approximately 35 miles away via car. Trains also run from Dublin via a connection from the Westport line, the journey takes 4 hours. Train timetables are available online .
Ballina is small enough to get around by foot.
- Ridge Pool. One of the best salmon fishing locations in Europe.
- Walk in Belleek Woods. Perfect at any time of year.
- Crocketts. An excellent bar and restaurant located in the Quay area.
There are no shortage of pubs located in Ballina and it is impossible not to find exactly what you are looking for.
- Crockets on The Quay. An award winning bar, boasts an excellent restaurant and bar bites and a very busy weekend bar. The bar is comfortable and is divided into three sections, a front 'cosy' bar, which is older, a middle bar where you can talk (and be heard) over the music and a large back bar containing a small dance floor. Crockets is a modern and comfortable bar and despite winning all Ireland Dining Pub of the Year and the Traditional Pub of the Year awards, you will not find any traditional music.
- Doherty's. A traditional fisherman's pub located beside the Ham bridge on Bridge Street. Friendly, quiet and relaxed - the pub boasts an working angling shop on the opposite side of the bar.
- [dead link] Red River Lodge. Family run bed and breakfast on the North County Mayo / West County Sligo border 5km from Ballina and close to the seaside resort of Enniscrone.
- Mount Falcon Hotel. A charming 19th century estate on the Dublin road.
- Downhill Inn, Sligo Rd, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cheaper inn accommodation.
- Ramada Hotels.
- Best Western Ballina Manor. Centrally located on the banks of the river Moy near the town centre.
- Duffys Inn, Clare St. Small family pub with excellent live jazz by PJ and his resident band every Tuesday from 20:00.