Ballina is in County Mayo in the Republic of Ireland. It is on the river Moy near the mouth of Killala bay. It is often used as a jumping point to the Céide Fields and the west Mayo and south Sligo areas, however the town itself represents a fine base.
Ballina can be reached most easily from Knock airport which is located approximately 35 miles away via car. Trains also run from Dublin via a connection from the Westport line, the journey takes 4 hours. Train timetables are available online .
Ballina is small enough to get around by foot.
- Ridge Pool. One of the best salmon fishing locations in Europe.
- Walk in Belleek Woods. Perfect at any time of year.
- Crocketts. An excellent bar and restaurant located in the Quay area.
- Quattro (In the center of town on Pearse St).
- Gaughan's (On O'Rahilly Street in the town center). Once a lovely old world pub. Now a good place for a decent home cooked meal.
There are no shortage of pubs located in Ballina and it is impossible not to find exactly what you are looking for.
- Crockets on The Quay. An award winning bar, boasts an excellent restaurant and bar bites and a very busy weekend bar. The bar is comfortable and is divided into three sections, a front 'cosy' bar, which is older, a middle bar where you can talk (and be heard) over the music and a large back bar containing a small dance floor. Crockets is a modern and comfortable bar and despite winning all Ireland Dining Pub of the Year and the Traditional Pub of the Year awards, you will not find any traditional music.
- Doherty's. A traditional fisherman's pub located beside the Ham bridge on Bridge Street. Friendly, quiet and relaxed - the pub boasts an working angling shop on the opposite side of the bar.
- Red River Lodge. Family run bed and breakfast on the North County Mayo / West County Sligo border 5km from Ballina and close to the seaside resort of Enniscrone.
- Mount Falcon Hotel. A charming 19th century estate on the Dublin road.
- Downhill Hotel. Long established hotel just on the outskirts of Ballina.
- Downhill Inn. Cheaper inn accommodation, located on the Sligo road.
- Ramada Hotels.
- Best Western Ballina Manor. Centrally located on the banks of the river Moy near the town centre.
- Duffys Inn, Clare St. Small family pub with excellent live jazz by PJ and his resident band every Tuesday from 20:00.