- For other places with the same name, see Shannon (disambiguation).
Shannon is situated in the heart of Ireland's beautiful Shannon Region.
- 1 Shannon Airport (SNN IATA). The second biggest airport in the Republic of Ireland after Dublin Airport. Shannon Airport is well connected with the UK, Europe and the United States and is one of the very few international airports with US border pre-clearance. Shannon airport was historically important in the early days of transatlantic flights as the first stopover coming from North America. Therefore the concept of duty free stores as well as many other innovations originated here. Since the invention of long range jets however, the airport has lost its importance and has even been surpassed by other airports in Ireland.
In terms of scheduled passenger airlines, Aer Lingus, Centralwings, Delta, Ryanair, and United Airlines, are the main carriers with Ryanair accounting for up to 60% of the total aircraft movements at Shannon Airport.
The town of Shannon is mainly served by Bus Eireann. A single adult fare from Dublin to Shannon with Bus Eireann costs €14.90 with return tickets available from €20.50 depending on the day of the week.
Shannon Airport is well served by Bus Eireann with a total of 136 buses serving the airport on a daily basis. From Shannon Airport, and with changes in either Cork, Ennis, Galway or Limerick, most locations within Ireland are accessible.
Among the other major bus operators to Shannon Airport are JJ Kavanagh & Sons which connects Shannon Airport to Limerick and Dublin.
While the town of Shannon is not served by a train station, it is possible to travel to Limerick by train, and then either connect to Shannon by bus or taxi. Limerick is directly connected to Dublin, Cork, and Waterford by Irish Rail
The town of Shannon is relatively well connected with the rest of Ireland due to its close proximity to the city of Limerick which is within 20 kilometers of Shannon. Recently, major upgrades along the N7 (Dublin - Limerick), the N18 (Galway - Limerick) and the N20 (Cork - Limerick) have improved the accessibility of Shannon immensely.
Major car rental companies can be found at Shannon airport.
- The Oakwood Arms Hotel, ☎ . Also has a pub.
- 1 Bunratty Castle Hotel, Bunratty (10min from Shannon Airport, N18), ☎ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:30. Part of the Blarney Group Hotels, with spacious rooms, etc. From €99.
- [dead link] Bunratty Shannon Shamrock Hotel, Bunratty Village (Adjacent to Bunratty Castle), ☎ . This hotel has rooms and luxury self catering holiday homes. Guests can use their leisure centre, restaurant and Shamrock bar. From €49.
- Bridge Side B&B, ☎ . Sixmilebridge The Bridge House is a family run bed and breakfast, close to Shannon Airport.
- Bunratty Castle Mews, Village of Bunratty (Adjacent to Bunratty Castle and Durty Nelly's Pub), ☎ . Bunratty Castle Mews is a family run bed and breakfast.
- Rowan Tree Hostel, Ennis. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. This hostel located in Ennis is at 20 minutes from Shannon by car. Renovated hostel, very large, very clean.
- Park Inn Shannon Airport, Shannon Airport, ☎ . Located in Shannon International Airport near Bunratty Castle, Folk Park and Shannon Golf Club.