Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > Scotland > Scottish Highlands > Argyll and Bute > Inveraray
- Citylink buses from Glasgow to Oban and Campbeltown stop on the sea front about 3 times per day. Buses stop here for about 15 to 30 minutes to give their passengers a break.
The town can easily be explored on foot, but a car or bike is useful for sightseeing out of the town.
- 2 Inveraray Jail, PA32 8TX, ☎ . Apr - Oct 9:30AM - 6:00PM Nov - Mar 10:00AM - 5:00PM. Admission £9.25.
- 3 Auchindrain Museum, Furnace, By Inveraray, PA32 8XN (about 6 miles South of Inveraray), ☎ . Apr - Oct daily 10:00 - 17:00, limited free winter admission - phone in advance. A recreation of a township, from about 200 years ago, in a 22 acre site. £6.50, children £4.00.
- 4 Crarae Gardens, Minard, Inveraray, PA32 8YA (10 miles South of Inveraray.).
- 5 Cruachan Visitor Centre, Dalmally, PA33 1AN, ☎ . Apr - Oct Daily 9:30AM - 4:45PM, Nov - Mar Mon - Fri 10.00AM - 3.45PM. Go inside a mountain to see a hydro-electric power station. £7.
- 6 Kilchurn Castle (North-west of the Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park; at the north-eastern end of Loch Awe; 2.5m west of Dalmally via A85). 24Hrs; open between Apr-Sep (summer). Has a four-storey tower and was built by Sir Colin Campbell in XVth century, 1st of Glenorchy. The ruins are some of the most picturesque in Scotland with spectacular views down Loch Awe. Free.
- 1 Inveraray Highland Games (Castle Grounds,). Held on the first Tuesday of the Glasgow Fair in late July.
- 2 Argyll Adventure, Inveraray PA32 8XT (2 miles south of Inveraray on A83), ☎ . Horse riding, pony rides, paintball, paintball range, bungee trampolines, climbing walls, laser pulse arena and laser clay pigeon shooting. Open seven days weeks from 10AM Easter till end of Oct. Reservations required for horse riding.
There is a small selection of independent shops on the main street.
- Loch Fyne Oyster Bar
- Takeaways on the main street
- 1 Fyne Ales, Achadunan, Cairndow, PA26 8BJ (on the A83 at the head of Loch Fyne, about 10 miles north of Inveraray). daily 10am-6pm. Small brewery which offers tours. It brews a range of ales which are sold in bottles and on draught.
- George Hotel, Main Street Inveraray, ☎ . The George has always had an enviable reputation for ambience, friendliness and its cuisine. With its original solid stone flagstoned floors and four roaring log and peat fires, the George is a lively haunt for both local characters and visitors alike with a wide choice of real ales, 100 malt whiskies and an extensive wine list. It deservedly earns its place in the good pub guide and the good beer guide. Located at the top of Main St
- 1 Loch Fyne Hotel, Inveraray, Argyll, PA32 8XT, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The hotel offers restaurant, leisure and spa facilities.
- 2 Inveraray Youth Hostel, Dalmally Road, PA32 8XD, ☎ . 28 bed SYHA hostel. bed around £20, room £43.
- 3 Argyll Hotel, Front Street, Inveraray, PA32 8XB, ☎ . Fabulous rooms overlooking Loch Fyne, costing £39 - 79 per person.