Invermere is a popular year-round tourist and recreation destination in the Columbia River Valley of southeastern British Columbia in the East Kootenays nestled between the Rocky Mountains to the east and the Purcell Mountains to the west. The town is on the north end of Lake Windermere.
The nearest airport of any size is in Calgary. From Calgary, take the Trans Canada Highway (Route 1) West as far as Castle Junction. This connects to Highway 93 South (southwest), a distance of about 90 km to Radium Hot Springs. Invermere is on the north end of Windermere Lake about 30 minutes south of Radium.
There is daily greyhound service from Calgary but be aware there seems to be some discrepancy with where the actual pick up and drop off point is so check this in advance. In the past it has either at the gas station in town or up the hill at the highway outside of town.
Within the town center, most facilities are within walking distance, but otherwise, the various parts of Invermere are somewhat spread out. A bike or a car would be a help in getting around. Invermere is also difficult to reach without a car as there is little convenient public transportation in the area.
- Bavin Glass. Watch live glass making demonstrations.
- Panorama Ski Resort. The Panorama Ski Resort is located 14 kilometers west of the city.
- Columbia Wetlands, administered by the Canadian Wildlife Service, is a long wetland area along the headwaters of the Columbia River from Columbia Lake to Donald, about 170 km north. There are several areas that are good for bird-watching just a few km north of Invermere.
- Golfing can be enjoyed on one of the many golf courses in the area.
- Mountain Biking is a popular summer activity, but not for the feint of heart if you are not used to riding in the mountains. Head to one of the local bike shops to ask for advice based on your skill level. Panorama Mountain Resort, offers lift access downhill mountain biking, rentals, and lessons for those new to the sport.
- Hiking. Lots of amazing hikes to choose from. Ask locals in town for advice based on time of year and fitness level. Note you share the woods with bears, plan accordingly by attaching bells to your pack (so as to warn wildlife you are coming), and by bringing 'bear bangers.'(basically a flare that creates a loud bang to scare off any curious bears)
- Lakeside Pub, 110 Lakeside Dr. Next to the beach at James Chabot Provincial Park.
If you are looking to party, there is usually something going on in the bars at Panorama Resort but not in the off seasons (Sept-Nov and Apr-May).
Best Western Invermere Inn, 1310 7th Ave, ☎ .
Panorama Ski Resort, Panorama, BC. A small ski resort town.
Internet access and wireless capabilities are available at the Invermere Public Library, 201-7th Ave. The Library occupies a converted RCMP Detachment building near the Sobey's grocery store.
|Routes through Radium Hot Springs|
|Golden ← Radium Hot Springs ←||N S||→ Fairmont Hot Springs → Cranbrook|