The park is known for its wide variety of terrain, including sandstone formations, deep canyons, palm-lined oases, and grassland. The closest town is Ranohira, and the closest city is Toliara. A local guide is required for visitors entering the park, and guides and porters can be hired in Ranohira. Treks in the park can last from several hours to a week or longer.
Flora and fauna
Entrance fees are the same for all of Madagascar's most-visited national parks, with a portion of the fee generally shared with the local communities in an effort to promote conservation. Guide fees are an additional charge. Fees are accurate as of October 2014:
- 1 day: 25,000 Ar per person
- 2 days: 37,000 Ar per person
- 3 days: 40,000 Ar per person
- 4 days: 50,000 Ar per person
- Malagasy nationals: 1,000 Ar per person per day.
- Children of any nationality: 200 Ar per child per day.
Guide fees for treks in the park are:
- Piscines noire et bleue - Cascade 32000 Ar
- Crête - Piscine naturelle 36000 Ar
- Piscine naturelle - Cascade 45000 Ar
- Canyon des Makis - Cascade 50000 Ar
- Canyon des Makis - Piscine naturelle 55000 Ar
- Cascade - Piscines noire et bleue - Piscine naturelle 77000 Ar
- Cascade - Piscines noire et bleue - Piscine naturelle - Crête 113000 Ar
- Fenetre. Fenetre, meaning window, is a natural arch and popular sunset spot. You don't need to pay the park entrance or guide to visit this site. Of course, hiring a car with a guide is the easiest way to visit, 40,000Ar round trip. Travel is also possible by taxi brousse. Look for the small sign on the right, just past the RN7 Sakaraha 93km marker and across from Hotel La Palme. Follow the signs 800m to the site. Fenetre gets crowded with tourists starting 30 minutes before sunset, so finding a ride back should not be a problem.
- Chez Alice. Bungalows start at 22,000Ar as of 11/2014.
- Isalo Rock Lodge. This 60 room resort occupies an incredible location, surrounded by sandstone formations and with a sunset view across the rocks that is nearly worth the hefty room price on its own. This is a top-end resort, built from local materials in order to blend with the natural setting. The large rooms that contain amenities such as air conditioning, mosquito nets, mini bar, safe, deck, etc. Property amenities include a pool, desert gardens, bar, restaurant, and spa. The resort also offers a few hiking options, including the short (five minute) hike up to a hiking trail up to Giorgio's Window, a sunset overlook atop a sandstone formation. Visa accepted for payment. 155€ per night (half-board), 120€ per night (room only).