Ismaning is a small town of 17,000 people (2018) in Upper Bavaria 12 km north of Munich city centre on the right bank of the Isar. It is known for the media centre that was built on a former ceramic manufacturing site in the southern part of the town. Several private broadcasters have their headquarters and their production facilities there.
Ismaning lies on the east side of the Isar on the northern outskirts of Munich. Having a village feeling makes it a pleasing place to stay just outside of the city with convenient access to destinations in the north of Munich.
Beginning in 750, Ismaning was part of the Freising monastery, a small spiritual territory of the Freising bishops, seat of a bailiff and court of justice. After 1319 it belonged to the Freising county on the Isarrain, and was its administrative centre. In 1803, it became part of Bavaria.
The community was dominated by agriculture and small businesses until the middle of the 20th century. The only employers similar to industry around 1900 were a paper mill on Seebach and two brick factories and two herb factories. Around 1960, the ceramic manufacturing company Agrob was the largest local company.
From the 1980s, economic development was determined by the proximity to Munich and thus by the settlement of companies from the service segment: the number of agricultural businesses fell from 115 to 82 between 1979 and 2007, and today there are around 12,500 jobs in the municipality more than two thirds are in the service sector. The former Agrob site became a media centre after the production ceased in 1990
- 2 Ismaning station. connects Ismaning with Munich every 20 minutes (journey time to the city centre around 25 minutes) and the airport (journey time around 15 minutes).
Regional buses next the train station arrive from towns in the area and from Neue Messe München.
It is in the north-east quadrant of the A9-A99 Kreuz München-Nord. Ismaning is the federal highway 99, the federal highways B 471, B 388 and B 301, and on the state road 2053 (Freising – Ismaning – Unterföhring – Munich).
- 1 Kallmann-Museum, Schloßstraße 3b.
- 2 Schloss Ismaning. Small Baroque palace that is now the town hall.
- 3 Schlossmuseum Ismaning.
- 1 Schlosspark Ismaning. Take a stroll or jog around the 18th-century park.
- 2 Seidl-Mühle. The historic mill is now a local cultural center.
- Beer Garden at Hotel zur Mühle.
- 1 Hotel Garni Erber, Hauptstraße 16, ☏ . Excellent quality rooms, good breakfast.
- 2 Hotel zur Mühle, Kirchplatz 5, ☏ . Very popular restaurant and beer garden.
- 3 Hotel Zur Post, Hauptstraße 7, ☏ . reasonable quality rooms. Free wifi.
- 4 Hotel am Schlosspark, Schlossstraße 7, ☏ . Quality rooms, good breakfast.