Järvenpää is a city of about 45,000 inhabitants (2021) that is 40 km north of Helsinki. It is at the northern end of Lake Tuusula (Tusby träsk), and its name translates to "Lake's end."
The R-train stops approximately every 30 min (for same way)
|1 Järvenpää||This is the main station, on the track from Tampere||R|
|2 Ainola||This station is closer to Helsinki||R and T|
|3 Saunakallio||This station is to the north on the same track as Ainola and Järvenpää||R|
|4 Haarajoki||This station is on a different track, from Lahti||Z|
If you are interested to know where your train is, you can visit the VR website.
Coming along Highway 3 from Tampere you may want to fork off in or after Hämeenlinna.
Järvenpää isn't very large so you can get around by foot. There are also a couple of local bus lines, (site in Finnish only) should you need to go to the suburbs or villages around Järvenpää. There is a route planner for local transport trips.
The service traffic is intended for everyone travelling in Järvenpää, but especially for the elderly and people with reduced mobility. The service buses are 22-seater low-floor buses that can be reached easily by wheelchair.
You can also rent bicycles[dead link] from Järvenpää Art Museum – or borrow: the fee is included in the ticket price.
- See also: Finland#By motorised scooter
You can rent electric kick scooters for use in the centre from Finnish Swup.
See also Uusimaa#By taxi.
- Petax. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them. Daytime M–Sa €4.00/1.00/km+0.90/min, nights and holidays €7.90+1.05/km+0.99/min; pre-booking €7/14; the lower km and pre-booking fees for 1–4 persons.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- VM Limo, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Cars Normally ordered via booking platform (smartphone app or web-based) that calculates price based on distance and estimated time to be used. Call for last-minute orders. 10 min waiting time free, more for Helsinki airport arrivals. 1–3 passengers: €9.00 + €1.25/km + €1.00/min, pre-order fee €6.00.
- The shore of Lake Tuusula (Tusby träsk). Several Finnish 19th-century painters, such as Eero Järnefelt, Pekka Halonen and Venny Soldan-Brofeldt, and the contemporary author Juhani Aho, had their villas along the shore.
- 1 Ainola, Ainolankatu (2 km south of the central station by Sibeliuksenväylä, 1 km west of the Ainola station by Ainolanväylä), ☏ , email@example.com. May–Sep Tu–Su 10:00–17:00. Järvenpää's best known attraction is Ainola, the home of the composer Jean Sibelius (1865–1957). adults €15, students €8, under 16 yr €4; the museum card is valid.
- 2 Ahola. Home of writer Juhani Aho and his wife, painter Venny Soldan-Brofeldt, from 1897 to 1911.
- Puistoblues: . A festival in Järvenpää by Lake Tuusulanjärvi dedicated to blues music. Several small and larger concerts and performances. Mid-August. (date needs fixing)
- Casa Toscana, Asema-aukio, ☏ . M–Th 11:00—22:30, F Sa 11:00—24:00. An Italian restaurant.
- Kulmakonditoria, Sibeliuksenkatu 17, ☏ . A café famous for its large cinnamon buns (korvapuusti).
- Cantina Zapata, Mannilantie 44, ☏ (Bar), (Kitchen). A Mexican restaurant and bar.
- Star Pizza, Kartanontie 14, ☏ . M–F 10:00–22:00, Sa Su 11:00–22:00. A pizza/kebab place.
- McArthur, Mannilantie 37. M Tu 14:00–24:00, W–F 14:00–02:00, Sa 12:00–02:00, Su 12:00–24:00. A small Irish pub.
- 1 Hotelli Sointu, Asema-aukio, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. customer service reachable by phone 24/7. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Newly renovated with Scandinavian interior, replaced old scandic hotel which was in the same building.
|Routes through Järvenpää|
|Lahti ← Mäntsälä ←||N S||→ Kerava → Helsinki|