Järvenpää is a city of about 40,000 inhabitants, located 40 km north of Helsinki. It is at the northern end of Lake Tuusula, and it's names translate to "Lake's end."
There are buses (timetables in Finnish only) from Helsinki both along Freeway 45 passing through Tuusula and Freeway 4.
You can drive from Helsinki to Järvenpää in about half an hour.
Järvenpää isn't very large so you can get around by foot. There are also a couple of local bus lines [dead link], (site in Finnish only) should you need to go to the suburbs or villages around Järvenpää. There is a route planner for local transport trips.
The service traffic [dead link] is intended for everyone travelling in Järvenpää, but especially for the elderly and people with reduced mobility. The service buses are 22-seater low-floor buses that can be reached easily by wheelchair.
You can also rent bicycles from Järvenpää Art Museum – or borrow: the fee is included in the ticket price.
See Uusimaa#By_taxi for information about companies and fares
- Petax. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them. Daytime M–Sa €4.00/1.00/km+0.90/min, nights and holidays €7.90+1.05/km+0.99/min; prebooking €7/14; the lower km and prebooking fees for 1–4 persons.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 Ainola, Ainolankatu (a few km south of the city centre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Järvenpää's best known attraction is Ainola, the home of the composer Jean Sibelius (1865–1957). adults €15, students €8, under 16 yrs. €4.
- The shore of Lake Tuusula (Tusby träsk). Several Finnish 19th century painters such as Eero Järnefelt and Pekka Halonen and author Juhani Aho had their villas along the shore.
- Puistoblues: 29 June – 3 July 2016. A festival in Järvenpää by lake Tuusulanjärvi dedicated to blues music. Several small and larger concerts and performances. (date needs updating)
- Casa Toscana, Asema-aukio, ☏ . M–Th 11:00—22:30, F–Sa 11:00—24:00. An Italian restaurant.
- Kulmakonditoria, Sibeliuksenkatu 17, ☏ . A café famous for its large cinnamon buns (korvapuusti).
- Cantina Zapata, Mannilantie 44, ☏ (Bar), (Kitchen). A Mexican restaurant and bar.
- [formerly dead link] Star Pizza, Kartanontie 14, ☏ . M–F 10:00–22:00, Sa–Su 11:00–22:00. A pizzeria/kebab place.
- McArthur, Mannilantie 37. M–Tu 14:00–24:00, W–F 14:00–02:00, Sa 12:00–02:00, Su 12:00–24:00. A small Irish pub.
|Routes through Järvenpää|
|Rovaniemi ← Lahti ←||N S||→ Kerava → Helsinki|