Jar is one of the beautiful places in Zaqatala. Jar famous for its big and green mountains and winds, beautiful rivers, lakes, and birds.
Jar's land was Georgia's land. Then the Georgian king George the 8th divided Georgia into 3 parts; Kahetiya, Kahskoye and Imeritinskoye. Kahetia was divided into 3 parts too. That was Kahetisk Qax and Jar. In Jar there were Georgians living, but in 1618 Dagestan Lezgis attacked Jar. Who could run, ran, but who stays there became Muslims. Nowadays, in Jar there are Avars, Lezgins and other ethnic groups.
Yearly average temperature is 7 ° C. The warmest months is August, with an average 19 °C. The coldest month is January, with an average of -4 °C.
Actually, not that far from Zaqatala (max. 4.5 km) but quite a climb of up to 350 m.
- Car: 10-15 min
- Taxi: 30 min, 5 manat
- Bicycle: 1-1.5 hr
- Bus: 30 min, 1 manat
Jar can be explored on foot.
- Chingis Tower.
- 17th-century mosque.
- The water factory (It is situated near the Lezzet restaurant.). These factory get and produce water 'Золотой Родник'. You can buy it in the city.
- 1 Lezzet restaurant (Ləzzət). 08:00-00:00. It's a hotel and restaurant, too. The most famous food from this restaurant includes: Chestnut gutab, Suhurlu, minced and other kababs. The little cottages are situated on the trees and you can eat there. They have a bar too. Samavar tea service offers walnut and various other jams. 5-10 manat.
- 1 Lezzet Restaurant and Resort (Ləzzət), Upper Jar Village (If you're driving, ask for directions from Zaqatala town for Jar village.), ☎ . Accommodation is very basic: the rooms get very cold at night, and there might be no hot water. But, the service is very good, everyone is really friendly and the food is delicious. from 40 manat for 1 cottage.
- 2 Dost Qapısı Hotel.
- Qax – Another gateway into the Caucasian Mountains besides Sheki, and "base camp" for treks towards Sarıbaş.
- Zaqatala – The city is populated by different ethnic groups, each with its own language that is not linguistically tied to others throughout the region. And like Qax, a gateway into the Caucasian Mountains, and conveniently located for onward travel into Georgia.
- Danachi (Danaçı) – On the bank of Alazan river, with main ethnic group, the Avarians. There are beautiful gardens, green forests and creeks.