Jerome is an old mining town in Northern Arizona.
Jerome is an old copper mining town set on the steep slopes of Cleopatra Hill between Prescott and Sedona. Once the fourth largest city in Arizona, it became one of the West's largest ghost towns in the 1950s. Now designated a National Historic District, the town has gained new life as an artist colony and tourist attraction.
- Jerome Chamber of Commerce, 310 Hull Ave, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers a free map for walking tours, as well as online listings for restaurants and lodgings.
A small town, Jerome is best seen on foot. Parking can be an issue, especially on weekends. The city runs a free shuttle during Art Walk weekends.
The main tourist section is on Main Street, a large loop with lots to see. The Mine Museum, galleries, restaurants, bars and shops are all on this loop. There are 5 levels to the town – stroll them all. The view from Jerome across the Verde Valley to Sedona is awesome.
- Mine Museum, 200 Main St, ☎ . Daily 9:30AM-5PM. Has displays illustrating the history of mining in Jerome. A gift shop is also onsite. $2 (adults), $1 (seniors), free (children).
- Jerome State Historic Park, 100 Douglas Rd, ☎ . Daily 8:30AM-5PM (park), 8:30AM-4:45PM (museum). Home to the interesting Douglas Mansion, built in 1916 and now a museum devoted to the history of the area and of the Douglas family.
- Audrey Shaft Headframe Park, Douglas Rd (near Jerome State Historic Park). Daily 8AM-5PM. Visitors can stand on glass above a 1,900-ft mining shaft, with the largest wooden headframe still standing in Arizona. Free.
The city hosts an Art Walk on the first Saturday of each month from 5PM to 8PM, with more than twenty galleries taking part. Free parking is available at the middle and lower parking areas and by the Old Jerome High School, and a free shuttle runs regularly up and down Main Street.
Don't forget to leave some time to check out the excellent art galleries and antique stores. Stop in at one of the local pottery stores like Made in Jerome and they will prepare pieces designed especially for you.
- Old Jerome High School. There are 15 working studios in the Old Jerome High School. Plein Air artist Mark Hemleben is well-known for his Jerome masterpieces and has his galley/studio in this complex.
- Gallery 527, 527 Main St, ☎ . Daily 11AM-5PM. Has a lovely sculpture garden and features local artists.
- Nellie Bly, 136 Main St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Su-Th 9:30AM-5:30PM, F-Sa 9:30AM-6PM, 1st Sa 9:30AM-8PM. The largest Kaleidoscope gallery in the US.
- Pura Vida Gallery, 501 School St, ☎ . Has a stunning collection of art and great American crafts.
- Jerome Artists Co-op, 502 Main St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10AM-6PM. A large space(for Jerome) with many members, representing almost any medium you can imagine.
- Altai Leather Designs, 415 Main St, toll-free: . Daily 10AM-6PM. For hand-made leather goods, filled with amazing bags, belts, hats, and lots of surprises as well.
- Magpie (Christy Fisher Studio), 510 Main St, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Clothing designer extra-ordinaire Christy Fisher has a retail space filled with her creative designs – featuring peace, love and really cool clothes.
- Raspberry, 112 Main St, ☎ . Daily 10AM-5PM. Fun fashion jewelry.
- Knit 1 Bead 2, 301 Main St (above the police station), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Su 12PM-5PM. Has a fantastic selection of hand-dyed yarn and beads as well as an entire room of crafts created by Jerome residents.
- Asylum Restaurant, 200 Hill St (Jerome Grand Hotel), ☎ . Daily 11AM-9PM. Has a sophisticated menu and incredible view.
- The Flatiron, 416 Main St, ☎ . W-M 8AM-4PM. Has a new owner in 2012 but will maintain the same great casual menu and great espresso.
- Gisele's Cafe & Bakery, 115 Jerome Ave, ☎ . Home to Arizona's best cream puff. Breakfast and lunch.
- Grapes Restaurant & Bar, 111 Main St, ☎ . Daily 11AM-9PM. Shares ownership with Haunted Hamburger. Good food and good prices.
- Haunted Hamburger, 410 Clark St, ☎ . Daily 11AM-9PM. Shares ownership with Grapes Restaurant & Bar, run by a real pro who knows what people want.
- Mile High Grill & Inn, 309 Main St, ☎ . M 8AM-4PM, T-W 11AM-4PM, Th 8AM-4PM, F-Sa 8AM-10PM, Su 8AM-6PM. Great burgers and salads with a full bar.
- Quince Grill & Cantina, 363 Main St, ☎ . New Southwest cuisine.
- Paul & Jerrys Saloon, 206 Main St, ☎ . Local color galore. Live music most weekends.
- Spirit Room, 166 Main St, ☎ . Live music, really jumping on the weekends. Great people watching corner.
- Jerome Grand Hotel, 200 Hill St, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com. A historic hotel, built in 1926 as a hospital. The building is situated above the rest of Jerome with great views, and is allegedly haunted. $125+/night.
- Hotel Connor, 164 Main St (above the Spirit Room), ☎ , toll-free: . Operating since 1898. $95-$165/night.
|Routes through Jerome|
|END ← Prescott ←||W E||→ Sedona → Flagstaff|