Jingdezhen (景德镇; Jǐngdézhèn) is a city in northern Jiangxi Province, best known for its pottery.
Direct flights from JDZ to and from Shanghai every other day, from Beijing every day. Shanghai flight is one hour and costs around ¥600-700.
From Shanghai the 2182/2183 trains leave at 12:40 with a travel time of 16 hours. ¥117 for a hard sleeper.
From Beijing there now is a direct train (maybe not all days, check first!) K45 from Beijing grand station 11.30, Jingdezhen 10.30. Hard sleeper from ¥338. Sounds like a long journey, but there is a lot to look at, and for those who came with transsiberian, what is 23 hours...
From Nanchang there are three daily trains, departing from Nanchang Railway Station, but the trip takes almost 2 hours longer than the one by bus.
From Hangzhou West station at 09:00 and 14:20. They cost about ¥140 and take about 7 hours.
From Nanchang there is bus service that takes approximately 3 hours departing from Qingshan Road North Station. ¥79.
Taxis are the easiest way, the meter starts at ¥6 and is billed to ¥0.1 but rounded either up or down. ie. ¥4.3 = ¥4, ¥8.7 = ¥9. Do not be fooled into taking a fixed fare for ¥10 or more as almost everywhere in the city will cost less.
There is also a public bus service, with very frequent buses at least until 23:00. If you manage to get a route plan, it is a quite fascinating way to get where you want while having a better sightseeing than from a taxi, if you can stand being watched at yourself. Very low standard rate, like in Beijing, ¥1 in a box for each trip.
There are motor bike taxis, but judging by their propensity to laugh in the face of death, they probably are not a wise choice.
An evening stroll to People's park, you'll see lots of couples gather and dancing there,and you are more than welcome to partake with them.
- Jingdezhen Ceramic Museum - Jingdezhen Ceramic Historical Exhibition Area - Hutian Ancient Kiln Site - Porcelain Street - China Porcelain Garden - Yaoli Scenic Area - Lotus Pond - Sanbao village created by world famous ceramic artist Jackson Li
- 1 Jingdezhen Ceramics Museum (景德镇陶瓷馆; 中国陶瓷博物馆), 1 Zijing Avenue, Changjiang District (昌江区紫晶大道1号) (Bus no. 23), ☎ . 9:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30. Free.
- 2 Ancient Kiln Folk Customs Museum (古窑民俗博览区), 1 Guyao Road, Cidou Avenue, Changjiang District (昌江区瓷都大道古窑路1号) (The nearest bus stop is Fengshushan (枫树山), which is served by over a dozen bus routes, including routes 1, 2, 3, 6. 7, 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, 23, 30, 33, 123, k106 and several others), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 08:00-17:30. ¥95 for regular ticket, ¥50 for persons aged 60 to 65 and children over 2 years old who have a student card, free for persons over 65 and children under 1.2 metres in height.
- 3 Jingdezhen Imperial Kiln National Archaeological Remains Park (景德镇御窑厂国家考古遗址公园), 187 Zhushan Middle Road, Zhushan District (珠山区珠山中路187号) (Catch bus no. 27 or K26 and get off at the Imperial Kiln Galleries (御窑长廊)), ☎ . 8:00-17:30. ¥60.
Saturday Creative Market The Pottery Workshop Creative Market happens every Saturday morning in our courtyard from 08:00-12:00. Over 100 vendors, comprised of young local artists, sell their artistic works. The Creative Market has been a catalyst for inspiring creativity and entrepreneurism for the emerging artists in Jingdezhen. Every week you can find a wide variety of artwork, including traditional pottery, contemporary designs, jewellery and sculpture.
There have been kilns in Jingdezhen for centuries and today it produces a lot of the finest Chinese pottery.
You will not starve even if you are almost broke. Everything from a few yuan simple dishes to touristic expensive restaurants available. With very little tourists around, you are not likely to getting ripped off if you can not read the menu.
There is a Chinese style disco/club across the street from the Kaimenzi hotel.
- Wenyuan Hotel, Tongzhan Road. 4 star Japanese rooms, rooms can smell like an ashtray. There are a number of similar hotels along this street, Ma'anshan Lu, and Shuguang Lu, due to being near the bus and train station. Can be bargained down to ¥120.
JIngdezhen Youth Hostel, No.139,Xinchangdong Road. New and cool hostel just across from the Saturday Creative Market site. The streets behind the hostel has lots of shops selling contemporary style porcelain.
Licun bus station is on Shuguang Lu, and has bus rides to Wuyuan (2 hours). The train station is nearby, with connections to Tunxi. The airport and the long-distance bus station are in the west of town.