- For other places with the same name, see Jinzhou (disambiguation).
Jinzhou (锦州; Jǐnzhōu) is a city in Liaoning Province.
An industrial city on the western shores of Liaoning Gulf, Jinzhou is visited mainly for its storehouse of Jurassic period fossils.
Take either the three-hour express train from Beijing or the six-hour regular train. A car drive is also six hours from Beijing via the eastbound Jingshen Expressway. From Shenyang, a bus ride takes three hours via the westbound Jingshen Expressway.
- Wenya Museum (文雅博物馆; Wényǎbówùguǎn). Set up by the amateur collector Du Wenya, this museum houses an impressive collection of fossils found in the local region, some fossils having been found nowhere else.
- Bijia Mountain (笔架山; Bǐjiàshān) (30 min S of Jinzhou). Connects to the mainland via an isthmus at low tide and is more of a big hill than a mountain. There are numerous small Buddha temples on the hill and vendors selling various souvenirs and snacks. Is well worth the trip. If you have the time, take a boat out to the hill, walk around for several hours visiting the temples, and then walk on the land bridge back to shore when low tide comes.
- Guta Park (古塔公园; Gǔtǎgōngyuán). A quiet park in the south eastern part of the city featuring the Guangji Pagoda. The 72 m (236 ft) tower is a beautiful Liao style pagoda, with thirteen levels in an octagonal shape.
- 1 Liaoshen Campaign Memorial (辽沈战役纪念馆), No. 1 Section 5, Beijing Road, Linghe District (凌河区北京路5段1号) (bus nos. 10, 111, 202, 207, 211, 214, 222, 224 and the inner circle bus (环路内环)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-12:00, 13:00-15:00. Dedicated to the Liaoshen Campaign, the first of three major offensive operations launched by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) against Kuomintang positions in eastern China during the late stage of the Chinese Civil War. The campaign is considered one of the most important turning points in the war as it resulted in the PLA gaining numerical superiority over the Kuomingtang army for the first time since the war began. Free.
Just over 100 km from Jinzhou lies another city known for its fossil discoveries, Chaoyang. Shenyang, the provincial capital, is 225 km away, while further to the south, Dalian rests 380km from Jinzhou.
|Routes through Jinzhou|
|Beijing ← Shanhaiguan ←||W E||→ Tieling → Harbin|