Kafanchan (Tyap: Fantswam) is in Kaduna State, Nigeria. It is the junction town where the railtracks connecting the Kaduna-Zaria-Kaura Namoda, Akwanga-Enugu-Port Harcourt, Kuru-Jos-Bauchi-Maiduguri meet at the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) station built in 1927. It is the economic capital of Southern Kaduna, with flat plains and a beautiful waterfall known as River Wonderful.
The native people of Kafanchan, the Fantswam, speak a dialect of Tyap language also known as Fantswam. Being an expanding town, it also has peoples from surrounding areas of the state and numerous Nigerians from other parts of the country. The Hausa/Fulani, Igbo and Yoruba, Nigeria's largest groups have large diaspora communities with traditional rulers like the Emir of Jama'a, Oba of Yoruba and Eze Ndi Igbo, respectively, within the town. The traditional ruler of the entire town is known as the Agwam Fantswam, whose office is located in Zikpak. He, however, has no official residence or palace in the town.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Kafanchan is at the foot of the Jos-Bauchi Plateau. Hence, its cold weather. Tropical, with frequent rainstorms. The driest period of the year is from December to late March or early April, when the rains begin to arrive.
- From Kaduna: It takes about 3hrs 1 min to travel from Kaduna to Kafanchan via car. One could hire an Uber car from the train station or airport to go to Television garage, for example. Transport fare is between ₦2,500 and ₦3,500. Most drivers prefer to stop at the general hospital junction close to the Kaduna State College of Nursing and Midwifery.
One could get to Kafanchan from Kuru, close to Jos; or from Kaduna or Akwanga. Although, the railway service has been completely grounded as of January 2023, across the area.
The most popular means of getting around the town is via motorcycles and tricycles.
- 1 Agwam Fantswam I's Mausoleum. On your way to the Fantswam traditional forest reserve, branch to the office of the Agwam Fantswam to see the mausoleum of the first post-colonial Chief of Kafanchan (2001-2018), Agwam Musa Didam.
- 2 Fantswam Traditional Forest Reserve, Zikpak. Natively called Cen Zat ("Buffalo Stream"). Said to be a gateway to reaching the homeland from whence the Fantswam came, in the Jos-Bauchi plateau. It is also said to contain some rare animal species, as hunting is prohibited therein.
- 3 River Wonderful/Matsirga Waterfalls, Aduwan V, Madakiya. Getting to enjoy the natural view of the waterfalls is tollfree.
- 4 Throneroom (Trust) Ministry's Salama Radio Tower, Zawruk. The tallest man-made structure in Kaduna State. It is a 14-storey tall tower with a pent house and basement.
December/January (around Christmas/New Year) and March/April (around Easter) are usually the times of festivals within and around Kafanchan.
- 1 Afan National Festival (Kagoro Day), Afan National Festival Reception Ground, Ucyio (Fada) (J95V+277 Kagoro (13.1km east of Kafanchan)). New Year's Day. One of the main attractions of Kagoro is the Afan National Festival. It showcases the cultural heritage of Southern Kaduna and the central Nigerian plateau, marking the end of the annual grain harvest and the beginning of hunting expeditions.
- 2 Kafanchan (Fantswam) Day, Township Stadium, Takum district. Usually held on Boxing Day.
- 3 Game-Master Gaming Centre, Adjacent Catholic Church, Education Board Road, Kafanchan (H78W+Q5R Kafanchan).
- 4 Fantswam Traditional Forest, Takau Kali. An area which adjoins with the forests around Kagoro and Gidan Waya to the east and southeast of Kafanchan, where the historical elephant which the Fantswam shot around Kagoro fell, giving birth to their first settlement, whence they spread westwards to Zikpak and further to as far as their boundary with the Bajju, around Nyaanshyi (Yaanshyi) district of present times. The area is blessed with numerous fauna (mainly reptiles and birds) and flora. The area is rapidly undergoing deforestation as of today.
- 5 Zikpak Hilltop, Zikpak. Though not so high, but try take a walk up the hilltop of Zikpak, to view the town up to as far as the old township stadium.
- 1 Katsit Pig Market, Katsit. The Katsit pig market is the largest pig market in Kaduna State and probably one of the largest in Nigeria and the West African sub-region. The market opens every Thursday.
- 2 K.G. Royal Foods (No. 1 University Road, opposite Ernmerco filling station, 802125, Kafanchan, Kaduna), ☏ +234 806 556 0642. Sells pure organic honey, honey with garlic, honey with turmeric and honey, ginger, garlic and turmeric.
- 3 Socrates Farms, Takau (Takau Jemaa, 800242, Kafanchan). Sell processed food stuff.
- 4 Yakowa Market, Garaje. A growing daily market with plans to expand it by the state government.
- 1 Gurasa Food Castle (Along Kafanchan-Kagoro road, opposite Yakowa market, Garaje, Kafanchan), ☏ +234 703 008 2300. A restaurant where one could dine in, take away or request delivery.
- 2 Mama Gershom and Mama Bobai, Along Kafanchan-Dangoma road, Takau 802131. Buy Masa, eat and take away.
- 1 Bihar Gardens & Bar, ☏ +234.
- 2 Mitro Bar, No. 10 Warri Street, off Emir Road, ☏ +234 810 706 1643.
- 1 Fantsuam Foundation, 1 Fantsuam Close, Bayan Loco 802145, Kafanchan, Kaduna. Update your ICT knowledge.
- 2 Kaduna State College of Education, Kafanchan and Gidan Waya.
- 3 Kaduna State College of Nursing and Midwifery, Along Kagoro road, Aduwan district.
- 4 Kaduna State University, Kafanchan Campus, Takau.
Almost all hotels have bars that serve alcoholic drinks.
- 1 Bayaan Motel, Aduwan V, Aduwan district (Madakiya Road, near Matsirga (River Wonderful) Waterfalls, Kafanchan).
- 2 Fantswam Resort, Aduwan V, Aduwan district. Located close to River Wonderful Waterfalls.
- 3 Kasham Motel, Along A235 highway, Kafanchan-Kwoi road, Yanshyi district. One of the oldest motels in the town. Air conditioned rooms, wifi and a restaurant.
- 4 New World Motel, Along Kafanchan-Kagoro road, Aduwan district (H8V3+VM4, 802145, Kafanchan, Kaduna). A standard logging inn with a supermarket at the outer perimeters of the premises.
- 5 Unity Wonderland Hotel, Along Kafanchan-Kagoro road, Aduwan district. One of the biggest hotels in Kafanchan.
Cellular networks like MTN, Glo, 9mobile and Airtel are used here. The network strengths vary from one part of the town to the other.
Getting to the following towns from Kafanchan is easier: