Kakamega does have a small airport, but as of July 2017 the passenger services are limited to two weekly flights from nearby Eldoret (that itself is just about 100 km away by road) which in turn has flights from the capital Nairobi. In addition there are airports in nearby Kitale and Kisumu that also have flights from Nairobi.
- 1 Bus station (Kisumu and Nairobi bus station), Chilli Park.
Kakamega is served by three bus companies:
- [dead link] Coast Bus, ☏ (Kakamega ticket sales), (general number). Cities served: Bungoma, Kakamega, Kaimosi, Kisumu, Kitui, Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Voi
- Easy Coach, ☏ (general number), (Kakamega ticket sales). Cities served: Bungoma, Busia, Eldoret, Homa Bay, Kakamega, Kericho, Kisumu, Kitui, Malaba, Maseno, Mumias, Nairobi, Nakuru, Sirare, Siaya, Rongo, Usenge, Mbale and Kampala (Uganda)
- Modern Coast, ☏ (mobile phone). Cities served: Bungoma, Busia, Eldoret, Kakamega, Kisii, Kisumu, Malaba, Malindi, Migori, Mombasa, Nairobi, Nakuru, Voi, Webuye, Dar es Salaam and Tanga (Tanzania), Kampala (Uganda)
From Kisumu it's a 50 km drive along the Jomo Kenyatta Highway (route 1) towards Kakamega and Webuye, taking about 45 minutes. Eldoret is 105 km or two hours away, drive along route 104 almost to Webuye, and continue along the route 1 towards Kakamega and Kisumu.
- 1 Franky Grill, Off Kakamega-Mumias Road, ☏ (mobile phone), ✉ email@example.com. Barbecue restaurant, with a view to the kitchen.
- 1 Hush Club & Lounge, Canon Awori Street, ☏ (mobile phone), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 24h every day. Bar and disco.
- 1 Sheywe Guest House, Off Kisumu-Webuye Road (right before Holden mall), ☏ .
- 2 [dead link] Kakamega Guest House, Off Kisumu-Webuye Road (next to the market), ☏ (mobile phone), ✉ email@example.com. Rooms with bathrooms. Parking for 50 cars.
- 3 Ambwere Alliance, Kisumu-Webuye Road, ☏ , fax: .
- 4 [formerly dead link] Siaya Guest House, Kisumu-Webuye Road, ☏ (mobile phone), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 40 rooms. Bar, restaurant and two conference rooms. Guarded parking. KES 3000-8000, including breakfast.
- 5 Golf Hotel, Khasakhala Road (towards the airport), ☏ , (mobile phone), ✉ email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi. 56 standard rooms and 2 suites with balcony. Bar and restaurant with local and international cuisine. Guarded parking. 100-205 USD, depending on room.
- 1 Kakamega Rainforest (Kakamega Forest National Reserve), ☏ (mobile phone), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Kenya's last primeval rainforest.
- 2 Ilesi Crying Stone. A 40 metre high rock and one of several "crying stones" in the region. They got their name from the fact that they are always wet at the base, even during dry periods.