Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Greek towns of Kala Nera, Koropi, Ano Gatzea and Kato Gatzea are all in Northwest Pelion, 18 km away from Volos, through the coastal road. Since these villages are close to each other, they are considered as a single travel destination
The Greek of Καλά Νερά may be translated as "good waters": local underground springs fed from high up on Mt Pelio reach the sea just off the coast. The water at Kala Nera is clean and a bit cooler than adjacent beaches!
There are frequent buses from Volos Interurban Bus Terminal ("Yperastiko KTEL") (KTEL Volou) to Kala Nera, usually every hour, from 03:45 to 21:00 from Volos and from 07:30 to 22:15 to Volos (2013) (Bus Timetable).
- Olive museum, Ano Gatzea - Railway station, ☏ +30 24230 22009. The Olive Museum: a museum about the olive and its oil, rural life and folklore occupies the ground floor of a traditional stone building at Ano Gatzea station.
- The Pelion Train (Moutzouris), Ano Lechonia - Milies, ☏ +30 24210 39723. The Little train of Pelion. A little train’s fascinating story and the mythical tales of Mt. Pelion, all combined in a single magical journey! This historical train that used to operate the whole route between Volos and Milies is literally running on the tracks of history.
- [dead link] Frideriki Cruises (37010 Kala Nera), ☏ +30 6944 637503, fax: +30 24230 23057, email@example.com. Every Thursday 09:00. Daily cruises "Pagasitikos Boat Tour" with Dimitris and Panajotis in a restored fisherman's boat. Discover Mount Pelion by boat and visit the island of Trikeri. Max. 25 people on board from Kala Nera. Pickup also possible from Afissos and Milina. Private charter and midnight cruises. Adult €30, child €15, kids until 6 years free.
- To Trenaki, Boulevard Kala Nera. Local sweets from Pelion, ceramics, handmade art, post cards, Greek recepies books and that special gift.
- Sikia (Taverna), Sikia-Kato Gatzea, ☏ +30 2423022279. The taverna Sikia is the continuation of one of the oldest and renowned fish tavernas in the area and it is situated by the sea facing the village of Kato Gatzea. Traditional Greek and local cuisine are served.
- [dead link] Paris (Taverna), Boulevard (Kala Nera), ☏ +30 24 2302 2745. The well-known Taverna Paris is on the boulevard of the seaside village Kala Nera. Two terraces give you a magnificent view over the beautiful Pagasitic Bay with the mountain scenery of the mainland. Open from the middle of April until October.
- 1 Rivera. In Kato Gatzea 15 km from Volos. Excellent summer choice which gathers many people from Volos. Huge area, several decks. Open all day, by the sea, popular for swimming also. There is a dinner section. Only open in the summer. Beer €4, spirits €7.
- [dead link] Cafe Bar Naftilos, Boulevard Kala Nera (right in front of the beach in the seaside village Kala Nera), ☏ +30 24 2302 2329. Every day, all year. In the summer they can be at your service with umbrella's and sun beds on the beach.
- Sikia Hotel & Apartments, Kato Gatzea, ☏ +30 2423022279. Next to the seashore of the Pagasitic Gulf. The tastefully decorated apartments, provide all the up-to-date comforts and panoramic view of the sea and the picturesque village.
- Hotel Enalion, Boulevard, Kala Nera (37010 Kala Nera), ☏ +30 24 2302 3285. Studios, double rooms, suites, café bar, restaurant, pool, 20 m from the sandy beach with sunbeds and umbrellas.
- Minelksa Resort, Boulevard, ☏ +30 24 2302 2990. Two fully renovated, traditional mansions with, in total, six exclusive suites that offer total comfort and privacy.
- Platanofylla Studios & Apartments, Kala Nera, ☏ +30 24 2302 2622. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. They rent spacious, completely equipped apartments, duplex apartments, rooms to let and studios, all the year around in several price categories.
- Irida House, Kala Nera, ☏ +30 69 7718 2833. Rental rooms.
- 1 Sikia, Kato Gatzea, ☏ +30 24 2302 2279. Just in front of the beach.
- 2 [dead link] Hellas, Kato Gatzea, ☏ +30 24 2302 2267. Just in front of a beach.
- Volos Hospital, ☏ +30 24 2102 7531. Nearest emergency admissions unit.