Kamianets-Podilsky (Russian: Каменец-Подольский, Ukrainian: Кам’янець-Подільський) is a city in Western Ukraine.
This is one of the earliest towns in Ukraine, first mentioned around 1060 as a Slavic town controlled by Lithuanians, but evidence suggests that the Dacians and later the Trypillians had lived there in prehistorical times. The town is a natural crossroad for trans-Carpathian and trans-Ukrainian trade, which attracted Poles, Germans, Armenians, Lithuanians, Jews, Ukrainians, Russians and Romanians to live here until World War II. Now, the town is almost exclusively Ukrainian.
A large fortress was built here to watch over the River Smotrych and some evidence suggests that a fortress has existed on this natural outcropping of rock since 2 millennia ago.
- 1 Railway Station (Vokzal, Залізничний вокзал), Pryvokzalna str., 7 (NE), ☎ . The best way to get here from Kiev is take a train. There are 2 "Podilsky Express" trains with seats departing from Kiev at 16:43 and 23:41. It takes 6.5-7 hours to get Kamianets-Podilskyi. Also there is a night train taking 9 hours and going every second day.
- 2 Bus Station, Koriatovychiv Kniaziv str., 19 (E), ☎ . Buses from Chernivtsi, Vinnitsa, Lviv or Kiev take 1.5, 4, 5 and 8-9 hours, respectively. The buses from Kiev cost around UAH100 but can faster marshrutkas (minibuses) can be UAH150 from Vokzal (the railway station) in Kiev. The buses from Chernivtsi are not as frequent as Lonely Planet may lead you to believe. The buses from Vinnitsa are rare but exist.
- 1 The ancient fortress (Stara Fortetsya, Фортеця), Str. Papanina (W), ☎ . is the major attraction of this town. 12-18th cent. Built to protect against the Tatars
- 2 Papal tower (Julia tower). 5 -storey tower , is on the southeast corner of the castle on the rock beneath cottages nestled suburb Karvasary .
- Kovpak tower (Cap tower, Ковпак (колпак)). similar to Tenchynsku
- 3 Tenchynska tower (Тенчиньська башта). The tower is round, has some loophole
- 4 Ark or Lyaska (Kovcheg) Tower (Ковчег (Ляська)).
- Church of Saint Heart of Jesus Christ (Костьол Святійшого Серця Ісуса Христа), Nihynske highway, 32. Roman Catholic
- Monastery of Vyzytok (Монастир Bізиток), Suvorova str., 2. closed with an internal court and western facade unfolded on a straight line.
- Novoplanivskyi bridge (Новопланівський міст) (Eastern part of the Town phone=). Built in 1850's.
- Mansion of Dembytskyi (Особняк Дембицького), Lesi Ukrainky str., 38,. Presently Palace of pioneers takes place in building.
- Osavulovoys House (Будинок Осавулової), Sitsinskoho U. str., 2. Today here is a children's sanatorium.
- State botanical garden (Державний ботанічний сад), Lesi Ukrainky str.,64. A general area of botanical garden is 17.7 hectares.
- Former Town Hall (Polish Magistrat) (Ратуша – колишній Польський магістрат). XIV.-XVIII. centuries.
- Picture Gallery (Картинна галерея). XVIII. century. Former Seminary.
- Archeological Museum (Відділ старожитностей – в минулому Вірменський торговий дім). Former armenian trading house (XVII. cent.)
- Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul (Кафедральний костел Cв. Апостолів Петра і Павла), Tatarska (вул. Татарська,) 20. XV-XVIII centuries. The architectural ensemble of the Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul includes: the actual church, bell tower, a triumphal arch and a minaret. Contains features of Renaissance, Baroque and Gothic architecture.
- Armenian or City is a fountain (Вірменська (Міська) криниця).
- Exhibition Hall (Виставкова зала), Cathedral, 29 (вул. Сoборна).
- 5 [dead link]Holy Cross church (Хрестовоздви́женська церква). A wooden church near the walls of the ancient fortress, on the coastal strip in the natural valley of the Smotrych River
- 3 Orlovskis' estate, Maliivtsi village (Cадиба Орловських) (North 40 km). Built in 1900's
- 4 Sharivka village (Шарівка) (N 65 km). Protection of the Virgin church-fortress (Покровська церква-фортеця), 14-16th C., 1773
- 5 Sutkivtsi village church-fortress (Сутківці) (N 66 km). Protection of the Virgin church-fortress (Покровська церква-фортеця), 1467
- 6 Trinity monastery in Satanivska Slobidka village (Свято-Троїцький монастир і церква Сатанівська Слобідка) (NW 55 km). Built in 16-18th C. Monastery complex consists of the gate bell with cells, gates and fences, rebuilt in 1744 in Baroque style. On three sides it is surrounded by two meter thick walls, up to 6 m high.
1 Dikanka, Pushkinskaya str, 46 (not far from central bus station), ☎ , , , . 9AM till 10PM. Good cheap cafe in city centers with ukrainian cuisine, about 35 kinds of vareniks (dumplings) ~ 80 UAH for 2 person.
- Kava u politsmeystera (Coffee from a Policeman), not far from the fortress. nice design. Waiters speak English. You have to take the menu from and order on the bar, the order will be brought to your table. "Coffee Ice Cream" is worth trying. Although the name suggests that coffee is the main drink here, you can have a good dinner as well. dinner for 2 persons ~180 UAH.
- Pid bramoyu (In the Gateway) (- near the fortress). nice design combining medieval and national Ukrainian motifs. Waitresses don't speak English. dinner for 2 persons ~250 UAH..
- Hostel Zoom (Хостел "Zoom"), Haharina, 69 (near the bus station.), ☎ .
- "babushka's" apartment. Reports from trusted sources state that a room off peak at a apartment will cost only around 30 UAH"babushka's" . 30 UAH.
- Hotel 7 Days (7-dniv Hotel, Готельний комплекс "7-днів"), Str. Soborna, 4 (close to the central square). sgl from UAH260.
- 1 Hotel Texas (Гостиничный комплекс "Техас"), Ave. Hrushevskoho (проспект Грушевского), 27 (- near the bus station.), ☎ . One sgl, four dbl, three tpl rooms
- 2 [dead link]Hotel Mariia (Готель Марія), Danyla Halytskoho (ул. Д. Галицкого) , 16A (Between Old Town and Bus Station), ☎ , , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms UAH200-UAH250-UAH300 depend of comfort level.
- 3 [dead link]Monte-Kristo Cafe-Bar-Hotel-Sauna (Готель "Монте-Крісто"), Lesi Ukrainky, 22 (Between Old Town and Bus Station), ☎ . Rooms UAH200-UAH300-UAH400.
- 4 Kleopatra (Готельний комплекс "Клеопатра"), Ohiienka, 39 (Between Old Town and Bus Station), ☎ , . Four star hotel From UAH550.
- 5 [dead link]Staryi bank (Готель "Старий банк"), Uralska, 4 (Between Old Town and Bus Station), ☎ , , , . Three bed dorm UAH50, Dbl (WC, shower, refrigerator) UAH150, Dbl(WC, shower, refrigerator, TV) UAH200, Dbl (WC, shower refrigerator , balcony) UAH250, tpl UAH500.
- Stone Flower (near the fortress.).
- TIU KP (central).
- Karmaliuk (Close to the bus station).
- Fil'varky-Tsentr (close to bus station). dbl/twin UAH200 breakfast included..
- Xeniya. dbl/twin UAH200, breakfast excluded..
- Khotyn - If you plan to go to the spectacularly located castle in Khotyn on your way to or from KP and Chernivtsi, you can visit it in route as it sits almost exactly on the route between the two cities.
- Khmelnytskyi - This is the administrative center for the Khmelnytskyi Oblast.