Jump to navigation Jump to search
Karamea has a population of 400. The town was first settled in 1874.
Karamea is 96 km north of Westport, near the end of the road north.
- Karamea Express run a minibus from Westport.
- Karamea Connections provide on-demand shuttles to and from walking tracks.
- 2 Karamea Aerodrome. Golden Bay Air flies scheduled and on-demand flights from Nelson and Takaka, and on-demand flights from Wellington.
- Heaphy Track. The southern end of this 78 km track is 14 km north from Karamea.
- Wangapeka Track. The western end of this 59 km track is about 10 km south of Karamea.
Shorter walks & caves
- Honeycomb Hill caves. via Oparara Basin, the caves have 15 km of passages. As the caves are protected, they are only accessible by guided tour which can be customised by arrangement.
- Oparara Basin walks. There are a number walking tracks of from 1 km to 10 km in the Oparara Basin.
- The Fenians walks. The old gold diggings also have a range of walking tracks of 4 km to 14 km through forests with lots of different fungi.
- 1 Four Square Supermarket, 103 Bridge Street. Mon-Thu 8:30am-6pm, Fri 8:30am-7pm, Sat 9am–7pm, Sun 9am–5pm.
- 1 Karamea Village Hotel. 9 room hotel and restaurant. from $130.
- 2 The Last Resort, 71 Waverley Street, ☎ . 31 room hotel with backpacker dorms, ensuite rooms, studios and cottages, restaurant, cafe and bar. dorm bed $37 - cottage $155.
- 3 Karamea River Motels, ☎ .