Karamea is a small town near the northern end of the West Coast region of the South Island of New Zealand. Apart from a narrow coastal strip, the town of Karamea and its local area are completely surrounded to the south, east and north by Kahurangi National Park.
Karamea has a population of 360 in 2018 The town was first settled in 1874.
Karamea is 96 km north of Westport, near the end of the road north.
- Karamea Express run a minibus from Westport.
- Karamea Connections provide on-demand shuttles to and from walking tracks.
- 2 Karamea Aerodrome. Golden Bay Air flies scheduled and on-demand flights from Nelson and Takaka, and on-demand flights from Wellington.
- Kahurangi National Park the second largest of New Zealand's 13 national parks.
- Heaphy Track. The southern end of this 78-km track is 14 km north from Karamea.
- Wangapeka Track. The western end of this 59-km track is about 10 km south of Karamea.
Shorter walks & caves
- Honeycomb Hill caves. via Oparara Basin, the caves have 15 km of passages. As the caves are protected, they are only accessible by guided tour which can be customised by arrangement.
- Oparara Basin walks. There are a number walking tracks of from 1 km to 10 km in the Oparara Basin.
- The Fenians walks. The old gold diggings also have a range of walking tracks of 4 km to 14 km through forests with lots of different fungi.
- 1 Four Square Supermarket, 103 Bridge Street. M-Th 8:30AM-6PM, F 8:30AM-7PM, Sa 9AM-7PM, Su 9AM-5PM.
Eat and drink
- Vinnie's Cafe, 99 Bridge Street, ☏ .
- 1 Karamea Village Hotel. 9-room hotel and restaurant. from $130.
- 2 The Last Resort, 71 Waverley Street, ☏ . 31-room hotel with backpacker dorms, ensuite rooms, studios and cottages, restaurant, cafe and bar. dorm bed $37, cottage $155.
- 3 Karamea River Motels, ☏ .
- 4 Wangapeka Backpackers Retreat/Farmstay, Wangapeka Valley Road, Little Wanganui, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Set in 40 acres of rainforest and 20 acres of farmland, this is a small and personal family-run backpacker farm stay at the start of the Wangapeka Track and close to the Heaphy Track. Facilities are shared with the family, and meals are available on request. $20 dorm, $45 farm stay single, $75 farm stay double, camping $10, campervan $22.