Geopark Karangsambung-Karangbolong is a conservation area management concept that harmonizes geological, biological and cultural diversity, through the principles of conservation, education, and development that are managed in the Karangsambung to Karangbolong areas, Kebumen Regency, Central Java Province. This earth park is the only geopark or earth park in Central Java as well as the first in Central Java.
In November 2018, this geopark officially became a National Geopark.
This geopark area has a diverse landscape. Consists of mountains, valleys, lowlands, and beaches.
Flora and fauna
The official flora is Kelapa Genjah Entog and the official fauna is Walet Putih. The flora and fauna are the official flora and fauna of Kebumen Regency. That is because the geopark area is located in Kebumen
Tropical. It is very hot here in the dry season (approximately April to October) and wet and humid in the rainy season (December till March).
- 1 Kebumen Regency Tourism Office (Dinas Pariwisata dan Kebudayaan Kabupaten Kebumen), Jl Pahlawan 136, ☏ . 07:00–16:00.
The closest airport is New Yogyakarta International Airport in Yogyakarta. From there, you can get to Kebumen by train from Yogyakarta station or Lempuyangan station, or by bus from Giwangan terminal.
There are two main train stations:
- 2 Kebumen Station, Jl Stasiun. On the east side of Kebumen.
- 3 Gombong Station, Jl Stasiun II, Gombong. To the west of Kebumen town.
There are also two minor train stations:
- 4 Karanganyar Station, Jl Stasiun, Karanganyar.
There are two main bus terminals:
- 5 Kebumen Bus Terminal, Jl Raya Alternatif Luar Kota. On the east side of town.
- 6 Gombong Bus Terminal, Jl Tentara Pelajar, Semanding, Gombong. In the western part of Kebumen regency.
There is also one mini-terminal that is used by Efisiensi Bus in 7 Wonosari Rest Area, Jl Nasional III (In front of Wonosari train station). . The Efisiensi bus serves Cilacap, Purwokerto, Yogjakarta city, and Adisutjipto International Airport.
Fees and permits
On Kebumen and Gombong town you can rent cars or motorcycles. It might be a good idea to book a rental car before you arrive in Kebumen because there are few cars.
- 1 Karangbolong Beach (Pantai Karangbolong), Karangbolong, Buayan (take a minibus to Gombong, then change to Karangbolong), ☏ . Next to Suwuk beach. There is small cave near the beach (hence the name: karang means coral, and bolong means hole). Similar to Suwuk beach, Karangbolong is surrounded by limestone hills. Rp3,000 adult, Rp2,000 child.
- 2 Logending Beach (Ayah Beach), Ayah (take a minibus to Ayah from Gombong bus terminal), ☏ . 07:00-17:00. As well as the beach, there is also a mangrove forest. Boat rides available. Rp4,000 adult, Rp2,000 child.
- 3 Menganti Beach (Pantai Menganti), Jl Pantai Menganti, Karangduwur, Ayah. A newly-developed destination in Kebumen. Not so many facilities but its natural beauty makes people call it the New Zealand of Kebumen.
- Lampon Beach (Pasir Beach), Jl Ayah-Karangbolong, Pasir, Ayah, ☏ . A new vacation spot on five different beaches: Pasir, Lampon, Tanjung Karang Penganten, Gebyuran and Surmanis. There are several caves, a waterfall and hills to camp on. Rp10,000.
- 4 Jatijajar Cave, Jatijajar, Ayah (Take a minibus to Jatijajar from Gombong), ☏ . 08:00-18:00. Famous limestone cave discovered in 1802 by Jayamenawi, close to Logending beach. People can enter the cave to see the stalagmites and stalactites. It is 50 m above sea level, with 250 m in length. It is named Jatijajar because when it was discovered, there were two teak trees (jati) in a row (jajar). Inside the cave there are two natural springs, Sendang Kantil and Sendang Mawar. It is said that if you wash your face using water from Sendang Mawar, you will stay young. If you wash your face at Sendang Kantil, your dreams will come true. There are two more natural springs, but access is difficult. There is also a diorama of Lutung Kasarung, a story from Indonesian folklore. Rp7,000 adult, Rp4,000 child.
- 5 Petruk Cave, Ayah, ☏ . Still natural (not crowded). You must be accompanied by an official guide. There is no lighting so bring a flashlight. The return journey into the cave can take up to two hours. Your feet will get wet because there is water on the cave floor. Inside the cave, there are various stalagmites and a waterfall. Rp7,500 adult, Rp4,000 child.
- 6 Sempor Dam, Tunjungseto, Sempor (take a minibus bound to Sempor from Gombong bus terminal), ☏ . An embankment dam on the Sempor River. It is used for irrigating paddy fields, flood control, and hydroelectric power generating 1MW of electricity. It was built in 1967, but was breached in the same year, causing a flood that killed a thousand people. It was rebuilt in 1978. It is possible to go fishing and to explore the dam by boat. Rp4,000 adult, Rp2,000 child.
- 7 Krakal Hot Spring, Krakal, Alian, ☏ . 07:00-17:00. A natural hot spring with water temperatures 39°C–42°C (86°F–104°F). There are VIP rooms for private use. Rp3,000 adult, Rp2,000 child, Rp7,500 to bathe.
- 8 Sawangan Adventure, Karangduwur, Ayah. A nature park organised by the local community, consisting of a beach and waterfall. There is also rappelling and a flying fox.
- 1 Meotel Kebumen by DAFAM Hotels, Jl. Ahmad Yani No.31, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Rp400,000/night.
- 2 Hotel Patra, Jalan Pemuda No. 71, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Rp150,000/night.
- 3 Puri Laras Hotel & Cafe, Jl. Pemuda 109, ☏ . Check-in: 06:00, check-out: 12:00. Rp300,000/night.
- 4 [dead link] Hotel Nillo, Jl. Pemuda 7, ☏ .
- 5 [formerly dead link] Mexolie Hotel & Resort, Jl. Merak II No. 8, Panjer, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Rp450,000 - 600,000/night.
- 6 Hotel Aman, Jl. Revolusi No. 88, Karanganyar, ☏ .
- 7 [formerly dead link] Hotel Grafika Gombong, Jl Yos Sudarso Barat No. 565, Gombong, ☏ . Rp70,000/night.
- 8 Hotel Istana, Jl. Yos Sudarso 559 Gombong, ☏ . Rp100,000/night.
- 9 Hotel Candaka, Jl. Yos Sudarso No.72, Wero, Gombong, ☏ .
- 10 Teloe Logde Bed and Breakfast, Jl. Pahlawan No.70, Kebumen, ☏ .
Some camping spots are Brujul Adventure Park in Karangsambung, Bukit Langit, Sempor dam, up to the hill at Menganti Beach.
- Cilacap on the south coast is a growing industrial city, with oil refinery, power station and cement factory. The adventurous can hop off to the south coast beaches of West Java by taking a boat through the Segara Anakan bay.
- Purwokerto on the north west is a city with a lot of tourist destination. The gateway to Slamet Mountain.