Purwokerto is a sleepy town in the Central Java province of Indonesia. It is a major transportation hub in Java, connecting other major cities, such as Jakarta, Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, and Cirebon.
Some famous Indonesians originated from Purwokerto, such as Jendral Sudirman and Jendral Gatot Subroto. These heroic people are honoured in street names all over Indonesia.
The town is at the base of Gunung Slamet volcano, the second highest volcano in Central Java. Purwokerto provides a popular gateway to climb it, since the summit crater is about 18km from the town centre. The rivers that flow down its slopes into the town provide some welcome greenery in the industrial drabness and hectic bustle.
Visitor information offices
While there are no physical visitor information offices, the local Banyumas regency local government has made a non-English website catering to visitors who wishes to explore the city and surrounding areas.
Until today airport in Banyumas area is still in planning process. Military airport in Wirasaba Purbalingga is only a half hour from Purwokerto, capital city of Banyumas. Nowadays the airport has been being built for commercial flight. From capital city of Jakarta through Sukarno Hatta Airport, you can land at Adi Sucipto Airport (Yogyakarta), Adi Sumarmo Airport (Solo), Tunggul Wulung Airstrip (Cilacap) and Ahmad Yani International Airport (Semarang) and then go through any roads leading here.
The bus station is Terminal Bus Purwokerto on a 10 hectare site 4km south of the town centre. There are regular services throughout Java, including Jakarta (9 hours) with the popular Sinar Jaya bus, Yogyakarta (4-5.5h) with Raharja and Efisiensi bus, Semarang (6h) with Nusantara bus and Bandung (6-8h) with Budiman and Goodwill bus.
Trains to Jakarta take between 4 to 9 hours from the main Purwokerto station depending on train class. The Argo-class trains (Argo Lawu and Argo Dwipangga) are the best of the lot: most comfortable and quickest. Taksaka is almost as good. These trains also cater for those travelling to Yogyakarta.
Purwokerto is a relatively small city, travelling around town should not be too expensive. You may jog around town for 40 minutes.
Traditional three-wheeled pedal-powered rickshaws known as becak can be found in most parts of Purwokerto. Haggle furiously.
Although Purwokerto is a small city, instead of walking in the heat and high humidity, travelling around town can be faster and easier by angkot (battered minibuses - derived from the the words angkutan kota, or city transport). These have fixed routes but pick up and drop off anywhere along that route; sometimes they can be very crowded, but it's a great way to meet the locals. There is a certain etiquette to be observed, though. Costs IDR2500 per passenger, paid when you alight.
Purwokerto has some beautiful buildings and monuments.
- Purwokerto Fly-over, is a well known landmark located in front of the train station. The flyover was built in 1967.
- Train Station, Dutch colonial architecture, many Dutch residential building are right in front of the train station.
- Museum Bank, located in Jalan Bank, a museum dedicated to R.A. Wiriatmaja who pioneered the Indonesian banking system.
- Baturraden Adventure Forest (BAF), Baturraden (1 km from Queen Garden Hotel).
- Sport centre: GOR Satria (Jalan Dr Suharso) is known as the largest sport complex in town. Contains a football stadium, tennis courts, reflection park, and a few other venues. Usually, locals visit place in the morning, especially on Sunday.
- Karaoke: One of the most popular entertainment program in town, especially for the locals. Plenty of well-known chains spread throughout the city, such as Inul Vista (Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, close to Pasar Wage), Happy Puppy (Satria Plaza), NAV (Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, across the Satria Plaza), and Happy Family (Cherry Fresh Fruit Market).
- Pool: Another famous entertainment activity in town. There are a few pool places in town, such as Maestro Billiard (Jalan Dr Suharso), and BBC Pool and Billiards (Jalan Dr Angka, Tirta Kembar Amusement Center).
- Clubbing: Cheers! Cafe (Jalan Dr Angka, Dynasty Entertainment Center) is the most-known and the best club in town, also comes with new concept of Cafe - Club - Party. A lot of Indonesian famous singers and bands held their stage here.
The biggest traditional market is Pasar Wage. There are also several small traditional markets, such as Pasar Manis and Pasar Pon.
There are a number of boutiques and newer outlets along HR Bunyamin Street, in the northern part of the city. They're popular with monied youths and college students.
- Moro Mall, the biggest mall in Purwokerto.
- Sri Ratu now Tamara Plaza, the handphone (cellular) centre and Gramedia Book Store.
- Rita Pasaraya, the first department store chain in Purwokerto. There are 2 in Purwokerto, one in Kebon Dalem and the other newest one in Jenderal Sudirman Street, close to Moro Mall and Tamara Plaza.
- Matahari Department Store department store and supermarket owned by PT Matahari Putra Prima Tbk.
There are plenty of handicraft and souvenir stands in nearby, Baturaden, a cool resort-town just 14km to the north.
The following dishes should be on every traveller's agenda:
- Gudeg, a curry of jackfruit, chicken and egg served with rice, and is the most famous local dish. The most famous gudeg seller is in front of Pasar Manis, Jalan Gatot Subroto.
- Mendoan is local food in Purwokerto, from a very slim Tempe (food from a fermented soy bean, very famous food in Java) and covered by dough of wheat flour. Although many places selling Mendoan, the best Mendoan only served in the village. Even though Mendoan sold at city is considerable tasty.
- Sate Kambing Sate Kambing in Purwokerto Area (Banyumas, Sokaraja, Purbalingga) is also famous for very tender young Goat. One of the best is Sate Tiga Saudara.
- Soto Purwokerto
- Soto Ani, Gen. Sudirman (east from Alun-alun, across Gaya Baru Optik. Located in small street behind building). Daily c. 17:00-21:00. IDR7,000 (Sep 09).
- Rumah Makan Cahaya Mas, one of the best Chinese food restaurants in town. Not halal.
You can visit in Overste Isdiman Purwokerto RM endut is famous with the hainan chicken rice and nasi campur. located on jln. wahid hasim 118 purwokerto. delivery service +62 281 647345
- Serabi Jalan Bank, available early in the morning is a local favourite. The queue is sometimes very long especially during holiday season.
- Soto Jalan Bank, Soto Sungep (also in jalan Bank), Soto Pak Tama (near Rita department store and supermarket, Soto Pak Sampun (at jalan Komisaris Bambang Suprapto), Soto Ani at Gen. Sudirman street; (east from Alun-alun across Gaya Baru Optik. located in small street behind building, open c. 17:00-21:00).
- Soto Sokaraja, available in Sokaraja, located 4km west of Purwokerto. Many of Soto Sokaraja in here, considered one of the best is Soto Kecik. The place not so good but very famous. Another famous one (some people consider this soto is better) is Soto Sutri.
- Mie Kelinci III available in HR.Benyamin 2km from Limas Agung.
Mendoan can be bought at jalan Sawangan, such as Mirasa, Echo21, etc. You can buy it raw (with separated ingredient) and frying it at home.
- Bakso Pekih, Pekih Street, north of Grand Mosque and City Square. Open 9am - 3pm approx.
- Gethuk Goreng At Sokaraja we also found the famous food called Gethuk Goreng that many shops sell with different kinds of names. It made of cassava and a lot of Javanese sugar. And the other food: nopia, mino (small nopia) kripik, and also mendoan.
- Siomay Kuah Segar, Prof Dr Suharso Street, a blend of Indonesian and Japanese restaurant, offers siomay, bakso, and Japanese cuisine such as Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, Ramen, and Yakimesi.
- Paparon's Pizza, available in Jenderal Sudirman Street. A well-known pizza restaurant.
- Ayam Penyet Suroboyo, available in Prof Dr Suharso Street, offers Javanese Ayam Penyet.
- Leko, Prof Dr Suharso Street, offers tasty Iga Bakar with valuable price.
- Iga Bakar Mas Giri, Prof Dr Suharso Street, one of the most visited restaurant in town.
- Pecel Lele Lela, Prof Dr Suharso Street, wide varieties of Pecel Lele cuisine.
- Brasil, Located in Kebon Dalem, the best ice cream and coffee place in town. Also offers Indonesian cuisine.
- Rumah Makan Kalibogor, Located in Yos Sudarso Street in the western part of the city, best to try the Ayam Goreng.
- Obonk Steak, Located in the Purwokerto City Walk, offers the best steak in town.
- Angkringan Tahu Kupat Pa'buaran, located in Jalan HR Bunyamin. Offers tasty Magelang's tahu kupat.
- Cibiuk, a Sundanese restaurant located in Jalan HR Bunyamin, best for Sambal Cibiuk.
- Phuket, A newly-built Thai restaurant in town. Available in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- Pringgading, a garden-restaurant located in DI Panjaitan street, offers Indonesian and Chinese cuisine.
- Oemah Daoen, a newly-built garden-restaurant located in Karangklesem, a few meters south of Andhang Pangrenan Park.
- Gubug Makan Mang Engking, a resort-style restaurant, with ponds and rice fields view. Available in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- MP Steak and Pancake, Unique Dutch-style restaurant, offers steak and pancake. Available in Jalan MT Haryono, close to Pasar Wage.
- Asiatic, Luxury restaurant, valuable price. Located in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- Furama Restaurant, Chinese restaurant with Cantonese dish. Located in Jalan Dr Angka.
- @lounge, Jalan HR Bunyamin, 2nd floor of Asiatic Restaurant (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 643000. A newly-built lounge in a strategic place, best for pudding and cake.
- Meteor Cafe, Jalan Jend. Sudirman, Satria Plaza no. 1-2 (Right in the city center, just a walk distance to the business and shopping centers), ☎ . 10:00-22:00. One of the best place in town for hangout, offers Italian, Chinese, Japanese cuisines and snacks.
Wedang ronde is hot ginger drink with gluten rice balls, peanuts, jelly
Kebon Cafe is located at Jatiwinagun street. Good place to hang around. Lot of local musicians there.
- HotelPurwokerto.com. More info Hotels in Purwokerto
- Hotel Borobudur, Jalan Yosodarmo 32, ☎ .
- Hotel Mulia, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 732 (right in the downtown, close to the market and commercial centres). Strategically located in the downtown. Walking distance to markets, commercial centres, and tourist attractions. Zenith IDR150,000, Diamond IDR300,000.
- Hotel Anggrek, Jl. Dr. Suparno no. 100, ☎ (0281) 7606633. Clean and quiet IDR90,000-125,000.
- Green Valley Resort Baturaden, Jl. Raya Baturaden km.8 Baturaden (8 km to the south to Purwokerto, 6 km to the north to resort-town Baturaden), ☎ . A newly-built 3 stars plus resort hotel with beautiful and stunning views of Baturaden.
- Puri Wisata Hotel, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ . Nice hotel in Baturaden, just a walk distance to plenty of tourist attractions.
- Hotel Rosenda Cottages, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ . A 3 stars hotel located in Baturaden, foot of Mount Slamet.
- Queen Garden Hotel Baturaden, Jl. Pariwisata Baturaden (located in Baturaden, a cool resort town and only 10 minutes to Purwokerto), ☎ . One of the most famous 3 stars hotel in Baturaden. Offers the cool air of Baturaden and spectacular views of the city of Purwokerto and surrounding areas. Economy IDR 250,000, Suite IDR 1,395,000.
- Wisata Niaga Hotel, Jl. Merdeka no.5 Purwokerto (right in the downtown of Purwokerto), ☎ . A modern-minimalist-styled business hotel. The building was formerly used as the branch office of an insurance company. Standard IDR 145,000, family IDR 275,000.
- Astro Hotel Purwokerto, Jl. Suparjo Rustam Km. 4 Sokaraja Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving south of the downtown), ☎ . Check-in: 13.00 pm, check-out: 12.00 pm. We Give You The Real Comfortable Standard IDR 84,000, Deluxe IDR 175,000.
- Atrium Resort & Hotel, Jl. Soepardjo Rustam (Jl. Raya Sokaraja), ☎ . A villa-styled hotel in the main road between Purwokerto and Sokaraja. Five minutes driving from the downtown Purwokerto. Standard IDR 330,000, deluxe IDR 495,000, suite IDR 715,000.
- Aston Imperium Hotel, Jl. Overste Isdiman no. 33 Purwokerto (right in the heart of the city), ☎ . A newly-built 12 floors 4 stars plus hotel with modern-contemporary architecture. Also offers Wi-Fi service, gym, pool, restaurants, meeting rooms, and spa. Deluxe IDR590,000, Suite IDR900,000.
- Horison Hotel, Jl. Dr. Angka no.71 Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving north of the downtown, near to the main road to Baturraden), ☎ . A three stars comfortable resort-hotel. Standard IDR440,000, family IDR660,000.
- Pancuran Pitu on the southern slope of Gunung Slamet and just 14km from town offers a cooler climate and hot springs in verdant pine forests. Be warned that there is a long and tricky climb back up to the dilapidated road, so some may prefer more commercial resorts located nearby.
- Mersi, famous for kripik tempe,jenang jaket and many more of other traditional meals.
- Purbalingga, home for the famous Owabong Waterpark, Sanggaluri Park, and Purbayasa River World.
- Sokaraja, a transit town, famous for soto and gethuk goreng.
- Tambak, a district border with Kebumen, 1 hour with bus from the Purwokerto Bus Terminal for Rp 7,000. Tambak offer its famous Sate Bebek outlets along street. Price relatively cheap at Rp 10,000 (US $1)
- Cilacap on the south coast is sleepy fishing port. Growing industry city, such as Pertamina, Portland Cement, and new PLTU (coal energy source for electricity) Karangkandri.