Purwokerto is a town of around 230,000 inhabitants (2020 census) and the capital of Banyumas Regency. It lies between Jakarta and Yogyakarta, making it a famous and bustling transit town in southwestern Central Java.
Some famous Indonesians originated from Purwokerto, such as Jenderal Sudirman and Jenderal Gatot Subroto. These heroic people are honoured in street names all over Indonesia.
The town is at the base of the Mount Slamet, the second highest volcano in Central Java. Purwokerto is a popular gateway to climb it, since the summit crater is about 18 km (11 mi) from the town centre. The rivers that flow down its slopes into the town provides some welcome greenery in the industrial drabness and hectic bustle.
- 1 Purwokerto Train Station (Stasiun Kereta Api Purwokerto), Jl Stasiun, Kober, Purwokerto Barat. Stop ID: PWT. Trains from Jakarta take 4 to 9 hours, depending on train class, arriving at the main Purwokerto station. Argo-class trains (Argo Lawu and Argo Dwipangga) are the best of the lot: most comfortable and quickest. Taksaka is almost as good. These trains also cater for those travelling to Yogyakarta. Joglosemarkerto is an agglomeration train that serves Purwokerto-Yogyakarta route via southern line and Purwokerto-Semarang route via northern line with very cheap price for both of its economy and executive class.
- 2 Bandar Udara Jenderal Besar Soedirman (General Soedirman Airport, PWL IATA), Area Sawah, Wirasaba, Bukateja, Purbalingga Regency. It is the nearest airport with scheduled timetable. It is 20 km from town centre, and serves 2 flights from/to Jakarta Halim Perdanakusuma International Airport HLP IATA and Surabaya Juanda International Airport SUB IATA with approximate 1 hour flight. Citilink is the only airline that serves these flights as of Nov 2021. The rates of each route are: HLP-PWL: Rp 509,500-556,800; SUB-PWL: Rp 569,100-585,700.
- 3 Purwokerto Bus Terminal (Terminal Bus Purwokerto, Terminal Bus Bulupitu), ☏ . 4 km (2.5 mi) south of the town centre. There are regular services from across Java, including Jakarta (9 hours) , Yogyakarta (4-5½ hours) , Semarang (6 hours) and Bandung (6-8 hours).
Purwokerto a is relatively small town, so travelling around town should not be too expensive. You may jog around town in around 40 minutes.
Traditional three-wheeled pedal-powered rickshaws known as becak can be found in most parts of Purwokerto. Haggle furiously.
Although Purwokerto is a small town, instead of walking in the heat and high humidity, travelling around town can be faster and easier by angkot (battered minibuses - derived from the words angkutan kota, or city transport). These have fixed routes but pick up and drop off anywhere along that route; sometimes they can be very crowded, but it's a great way to meet the locals. There is a certain etiquette to be observed, though. Costs Rp2,500 per passenger, paid when you alight.
TransJateng is a BRT service in Purwokerto (Indonesian in general will call BRT as busway) with operational hours from 05:30 to 18:00. It serves Purwokerto-Purbalingga route and stops at designated bus shelter. Unlike Transjakarta in Jakarta (and just like the majority of BRT creepers in many Indonesian cities), it doesn't have designated lane that separate its lane from regular traffic and has low, uncertain timetable. You may want to use this BRT service if you're not in hurry and really want to enjoy this town with its AC-equipped buses and cheap ticket price (Rp 4,000 per person, flat rate).
By online taxi / mototaxi
Purwokerto is simply a major transit town, not a tourist town. Even so, it still has many destinations to be seen or visited. It has a lot of beautiful monuments on some of its roundabouts and few well-preserved Dutch colonial buildings.
- 1 BRI Museum (Museum Bank Rakyat Indonesia), Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.57, Kedungwuluh, ☏ . 09:00-14:00. A museum dedicated to R.A. Wiriatmaja who pioneered the Indonesian banking system and founder of BRI (Bank Rakyat Indonesia). Free.
- 2 General Soedirman Monument and Museum (Museum Panglima Besar TNI Jenderal Sudirman), Jl. Patimura No.240a, Pasir Kidul, West Purwokerto 53136. 08:00-16:25. a monument and museum dedicated to Indonesian National Hero, Jenderal Besar Soedirman Rp 3,000 per person.
- 3 General Soedirman Underpass (Underpass Jenderal Sudirman Purwokerto). Finished in 2019, it is a beautifully-decorated underpass to separates the traffic from rail tracks. Dedicated to General Soedirman
- 4 Gada Rujak Polo Monument (Tugu Gada Rujak Polo). Finished in 2020, it is a monument located on a roundabout just before the underpass. It has a dancing fountain
- 5 Adipura Monument (Tugu Adipura). A monument with fountain dedicated as a trophy for Purwokerto that won an Adipura Award (an award for city cleanliness)
- 6 General Gatot Subroto Monument (Monumen Jenderal Gatot Subroto). A monument that dedicated to Indonesian National Hero, Jenderal Gatot Subroto
- 7 "Pembangunan" Monument (Tugu Pembangunan) (Near Bank Indonesia). A monument about development and Pancasila.
Purwokerto also has many parks that are basically local hotspots for hangout, jogging, cycling, or even just to stroll around to enjoy its scene. You can also buy foods and snacks and have a picnic in the evening (specifically in its town square).
- 8 Purwokerto Town Square (Alun-alun Purwokerto), JL. Jend. Sudirman, Sokanegara, East Purwokerto 53115. 24-hours. This town square is the most popular local hotspots with many activities at night. You may enjoy some culinary in here that are sold by local vendors and have a picnic on its grassy field. Free.
- 9 Andhang Pangrenan Park (Taman Andhang Pangrenan), Jalan Gerilya Purwokerto Selatan, Karangklesem, South Purwokerto 53142. 08:00-22:00 price=Adult Rp 5,000, child Rp 2,500. This park has playground for kids and also a stage for event.
- 10 Balai Kemambang Park (Taman Balai Kemambang), Jl. Karang Kobar No.9, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53115. 09:00-17:00. This well-decorated park is mostly being visited by family with kids since it has a playground inside and also a small dancing fountain. Adult Rp 5,000, child Rp 2,500.
- 11 Water Resource Educational Park (Taman Edukasi Sumber Daya Air (TESDA)), JL. Jend. Sudirman, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116. 24-hours. This bridge is just below the Soedirman Gerilya Bridge, and has colorful lamp-lit, semi-circle bridge arch. Free.
- 12 Pangripta Brubahan Park (Taman Pangripta Brubahan Kranji), Jalan Broebahan, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116 (Just behind RRI Purwokerto). 24-hours. A local community park completed with walkway that suitable as a jogging track Free.
- 13 Satria Park (Taman Satria Berkoh), JL. Jend. Sudirman, Berkoh, South Purwokerto 53146 (Next to General Gatot Subroto Monument). 24-hours. A local community park completed with walkway that suitable as a jogging track Free.
- Sport centre: 1 Satria Sport Complex (GOR Satria), Jl. Prof. Dr. Suharso, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53121. 07:00-18:00. is the largest sport complex in town. Contains a football stadium, tennis courts, reflection park, and a few other venues. Usually locals visit in the morning, especially on Sunday when there is an event called sunday morning (sunmor) Free. You can also visit 2 Soesilo Soedarman Sport Complex (GOR Soesilo Soedarman (GOR Soesoe/GOR UNSOED)), Jl. DR. Soeparno, Grendeng, North Purwokerto 53122. 06:00-09:00, 16:00-18:00. which has better jogging track and daily football match played by local football teams. M-F Rp 2,000; Sa Su Rp 3,000.
- Golf: 3 Wijayakusuma Golf Course (Padang Golf Wijayakusuma), Jalan Profesor Doktor Bunyamin No.10, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53121 (behind Wijayakusuma Military Hospital), ☏ . The only golf course in Purwokerto. It's relatively small but very affordable
- Karaoke: One of the most popular entertainment program in town. Plenty of well-known chains throughout the city, such as 4 Inul Vizta Karaoke, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.840, Purwokerto Kidul, East Purwokerto 53147 (Near Pasar Wage), ☏ . 11:00-02:00. and 5 Happy Puppy, Ruko Satria Plaza Blok AB-7/8, Jl. Jend. Soedirman, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114 (Inside Satria Plaza), ☏ . 10:00-01:00.
- Coffee house: If you want to hangout with your friends, being workaholic, or just simply want to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, there are a lot of coffee houses in Purwokerto.
Even though Purwokerto doesn't achieve the status of "The Student's City" like Yogyakarta, the town is more lively and active economically thanks to its college students that come from other parts of Indonesia to learn at some of its universities.
- 4 General Soedirman University (Universitas Jenderal Soedirman (UNSOED)), Jl. Prof. Dr. HR. Boenjamin No. 708, Grendeng, North Purwokerto 53122, ☏ (0281) 635292 , fax: Fax. (0281) 631802, email@example.com. A public university in Purwokerto. Founded in 1963, this university has 12 faculties and 1 postgraduate program.
- 5 Muhammadiyah University, Purwokerto (Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto (UMP)), Jl. KH. Ahmad Dahlan, Dukuhwaluh, Kembaran, Banyumas 53182, ☏ (0281) 636751 , fax: (0281) 637239. An Islamic, private university founded by Muhammadiyah Society in 1965. It has 11 faculties and 1 postgraduate program.
- 6 Telkom Institute of Technology, Purwokerto (Institut Teknologi Telkom Purwokerto (ITTP)), Jl. D.I Panjaitan No. 128, South Purwokerto 53147, ☏ 0281-641629 , firstname.lastname@example.org. A private, technology-based institute founded by Telkom Indonesia in 2002. It has 3 faculties that focused on technology sciences.
- 7 Prof. KH. Saifuddin Zuhri State Islamic University (Universitas Islam Negeri Prof. KH. Saifuddin Zuhri (UIN Saizu)), Jl. A. Yani No.40A, Purwanegara, North Purwokerto 53126, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Formerly known as IAIN Purwokerto, UIN Saizu was founded in 1962. It has 5 faculties and 1 postgraduate program.
- 8 Wijayakusuma University (Universitas Wijayakusuma Purwokerto (UNWIKU)), Jl. Raya Beji Karangsalam No.25, Kedungbanteng, Banyumas 53152, ☏ (0281) 6439889 , fax: (0281) 6439889, firstname.lastname@example.org. Founded in 1980, this private university has 3 faculties.
- 9 Harapan Bangsa University (Universitas Harapan Bangsa (UHB)), Jl. Raden Patah No. 100, Kembaran, Banyumas, ☏ (0281) 6843493 , fax: (0281) 6843494, email@example.com. Founded in 2002, this private university has 3 faculties.
- 10 Nahdlatul Ulama University, Purwokerto (Universitas Nahdlatul Ulama Purwokerto (UNU)), Jl. Sultan Agung No.42,Karangklesem, South Purwokerto 53145, ☏ (0281) 6841836 , firstname.lastname@example.org. An Islamic, private university founded by Nahdlatul Ulama in 2016. It has 2 faculties.
Purwokerto has many ranges of traditional markets.
- 1 Pasar Wage, Jl. Vihara, Purwokerto Wetan, East Purwokerto 53111. The biggest and bustling traditional market in Purwokerto
- 2 Pasar Manis, Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto No.73, Kedungwuluh, West Purwokerto 53131. 05:00-18:00 PM. This market sells many range of traditional snacks
- 3 Pasar Pon, Jl. Ps. Pon Utara, Bantarsoka, West Purwokerto 53133. 04:00–21:00.
- 4 Pasar Glempang, Jl. Profesor DR. HR Boenyamin, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53121. 06:00-12:00.
- 5 Pasar Karanglewas (Pasar Kliwon), Jl. Patimura, Pasir Kidul, West Purwokerto 53161. 05:00-15:00.
- 6 Pasar Mersi, Jl. Balai Kambang No.397, Mersi, East Purwokerto 53133. 05:00-11:00.
There are numbers of boutiques along Jl. Dr. Bunyamin, in the northern part of the town. They're popular with youths and college students.
- 7 Rita Supermall Purwokerto, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.296, Sokanegara, East. Purwokerto 53116 (across Purwokerto Town Square), ☏ . 10:00-21:00. The only modern shopping mall in Barlingmascakeb agglomeration region. It attracts many local visitors from neighboring regencies and always packed every end of the months and holidays. You may find everything in here.
- 8 Moro Mall Puewokerto, Jl. Perintis Kemerdekaan No. 7, Purwokerto Kulon, South Purwokerto 53141, ☏ . 10:00-21:00. another so-called "shopping mall" that has a large supermarket with cheaper price.
- 9 Living Plaza Purwokerto, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.447, Sokanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 10:00-21:00. Contains ACE Hardwares and Informa Furnitures stores. There are also Chatime and KFC inside.
There are plenty of handicraft and souvenir stands in nearby Baturaden, a cool resort town just 14 km (8.7 mi) to the north.
Purwokerto is the heart of culinary destinations of Banyumas Regency, so don't miss any chances to explore more restaurants beyond the lists and indulge on every dishes that's served in this town. The following dishes should be on every traveler's agenda:
- Gudeg, a curry of jackfruit, chicken and egg served with rice. The most famous local dish. The most famous seller is in front of Pasar Manis, Jl Gatot Subroto.
- Mendoan is made from very thin tempe (fermented soy bean cake), battered and fried. The best mendoan is only found in the village, even though city mendoan is quite tasty. Mendoan can be bought on Jl. Sawangan, in outlets including Mirasa and Echo21. You can buy it raw (with separate ingredients) and fry it at home.
- Sate Kambing Sate kambing in the Purwokerto area (Banyumas, Sokaraja, Purbalingga) is also famous for very tender young goat. One of the best is Sate Tiga Saudara.
- Soto Sokaraja, a soup which originated from neighboring town Sokaraja, is very popular here. There are many local restaurants that serve this dish.
- Gethuk Goreng is a fried variant of gethuk, traditional snacks made from cassava. It's as omnipresence as mendoan (specifically in Sokaraja)
- 1 Serabi Jalan Bank "Mbok Sur", Jl. RA Wiryaatmaja No.2 RT 1/4, Kedungwuluh, West Purwokerto 53131, ☏ . 04:00-10:00. available early in the morning is a local favourite. The queue is sometimes very long especially during holiday season.
- 2 Bakso "Sami Asih", Jl. Pramuka No.23, Purwokerto Kulon, South Purwokerto 53141, ☏ . 11:00-21:00.
- 3 Bakso Pekih, Jl. Pekih, Sokanegara, East Purwokerto 53115, ☏ . 09:00-20:00.
- 4 Sae Niki, Jl. Merdeka No.18, Purwanegara, North Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 09:00-20:00.
- 5 Hangout Cafe & Restaurant, Jl. Profesor DR. HR Boenyamin, Purwokerto Lor, North Purwokerto 53121, ☏ . 10:00-22:00.
- 6 Choco Klik, Jl. Overste Isdiman No.11, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . 10:00-20:00.
- 7 Brasil Ice Cream, Jl. Jendral Suprapto No.25, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . 07:30-17:00.
- 8 Dapoer Prambanan, Jl. Merdeka No.10, Kranji, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 09:00-22:00.
- 9 Paparon's Pizza, Jl. Jend. Soedirman Blok D No.8, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 10:00-22:00.
- 10 Richeese Factory, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.530, Sokanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 09:00-21:00. It has drive-thru service
- 11 Rumah Makan Kalibogor, Jl. Yos Sudarso No.34, Rejasari, West Purwokerto 53134, ☏ . 10:00-21:30.
- 12 The Soeds, Jl. Jatiwinangun No.25, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . 08:00-22:00.
- There are 2 KFCs in this town. 13 KFC Living Plaza, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.447, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 08:00-20:00. The first chain in this town 14 KFC Dr. Bunyamin Street, Jalan Prof. Dr. Bunyamin, Pabuaran, North Purwokerto 53125, ☏ . 10:00-22:00. It has drive-thru service
- 15 Meteeor Cafe, Jalan Jend. Sudirman, Satria Plaza no. 1-2 (Right in the city center, just a walk distance to the business and shopping centers), ☏ . 10:00-22:00. One of the best place in town for hangout, offers Italian, Chinese, Japanese cuisines and snacks.
- 16 Pringgading, Jl. DI Panjaitan No.217, Purwokerto Kidul, South Purwokerto 53141, ☏ . 08:00-21:00. a garden-restaurant in DI Panjaitan street, offers Indonesian and Chinese cuisine.
- 17 Oemah Daoen, Jl. KH. Wahid Hasyim No.101 - 103, South Purwokerto 53144, ☏ . 10:00-20:00. a garden-restaurant in Karangklesem, a few meters south of Andhang Pangrenan Park.
- 18 Gubug Makan Mang Engking, Jl. Profesor DR. HR Boenyamin, Pabuaran, North Purwokerto 53121, ☏ . 10:00-20:00. a resort-style restaurant, with ponds and rice fields view.
- 19 D' Java Steak, Jl. Kranji No. 28, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 12:00-22:00. Low-key steakhouse serving classic cuts & sides in airy quarters with traditional Javanese decor.
- 20 Table Nine Resto, Jl. Profesor DR. HR Bunyamin, Pabuaran, North Purwokerto 53124, ☏ . 09:00-22:00. Roomy restaurant with outdoor seating furnishing traditional favorites, set meals & hot pots.
- 21 The Grocer's, Jl. DR. Soeparno No.57, Arcawinangun, East Purwokerto 53116. 09:00-21:00.
- 22 GyudaQ Japanese BBQ, Jl. Kongsen No.24, Purwokerto Kulon, South Purwokerto 53141, ☏ . 11:00-23:00.
Like in any other Javanese highland interior towns (even though Purwokerto is relatively lower in altitude than Baturaden region), wedang is quite popular due to its warming effects and rich in flavours.
- Wedang Ronde is hot ginger drink with gluten rice balls, peanuts, jelly.
- Wedang Uwuh in English literally means "junk drink", due to its messy herbs appearance left unfiltered in the drink. Despite of its unfortunate name, this hot, ginger-based drink added with sappan wood, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemongrass, cardamom, and sugar/honey is very healthy and gives you warming effects. You may found this drink everywhere (especially in Baturaden region).
Just like many other cities in Indonesia, Purwokerto is experiencing a boom in of coffee shops. Due to high number of coffee shops in this town, it is highly recommended to explore by yourself beyond this list.
- 1 Kalih Coffee, Tea, and Spaces, Jl. Pungkuran No.4, Purwokerto, Sokanegara, Kec. Purwokerto Tim., Kabupaten Banyumas, Jawa Tengah 53115, ☏ . 08:00-22:00.
- 2 Madang X Omni, Jl. Kolonel Sugiono No.15 C, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . 10:00-22:00.
- 3 Milos Coffee, Kebondalem, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . 08:00-22:00.
- 4 Stue Coffee, Jl. Jatiwinangun No.26, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114. 09:00-21:00.
- 5 Loja De Cafe Bancarkembang, JL. H.R Bunyamin No.89, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53121, ☏ . 09:00-00:00.
- 6 Praketa Coffee, Jl. H.R Boenyamin No.129, Grendeng, North Puewokerto 52212, ☏ . 07:00-21:00.
- 7 Singgah Coffee & Book, Jl. Riyanto No.29, Sumampir, North Purwokerto 53125, ☏ . 07:00-22:00.
- 8 Society Coffee House, Jl. Prof. Dr. Suharso Kelurahan No.9B, Arcawinangun, East Purwokerto 53113, ☏ . 11:00-22:00.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Less than or equal to Rp 200,000|
|Mid-range||Rp 200,001 - Rp 400,000|
|Splurge||More than or equal to Rp 400,001|
- 1 FixOn Capsule Hotel, Jalan Profesor Doktor HR Boenyamin No.KM.19,4, Pabuaran, North Purwokerto 53124, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Single: Rp 103,000; Double: Rp 186,000.
- 2 Hotel Gunung Slamet, Jl. Overste Isdiman No.20, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Economy Twin (Non-AC): Rp 124,500; Economy Double (AC): Rp 141,100; Economy Triple (AC): Rp 157,700.
- 3 Roda Mas Hotel, Jl. Martadireja 1 No.871, Purwokerto Wetan, East Purwokerto 53113, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Standart: Rp 130,000.
- 4 Teratai Mas Hotel, Jl. DI Panjaitan No.144, Purwokerto Kidul, South Purwokerto 53147, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Economy Twin (Non-AC): Rp 140,000; Standart (AC): Rp 198,000.
- 5 Orlando Hotel, Jalan DI Panjaitan No.119, Purwokerto Kulon, South Purwokerto 53147. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Economy (Non-AC): Rp 150,600; Luxury (AC): Rp 210,800.
- 6 Hotel Besar (literally means "Big Hotel"), Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.732, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Zenith (Non-AC): Rp 145,000; Zircon (AC): Rp175,000.
- 7 Hayden Inn, Jln.Gelora Indah I Gang Baseball No. 3 Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00 PM, check-out: 12:00. Exotic (Room only): Rp 188,000.
- 8 Halona Guest House, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.373, Purwanegara, Kec. Purwokerto 53116 (close to Rita Supermall and town square), email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Deluxe: Rp 190,000.
- 9 Privato Suite, Jl. Adipati Mersi No.72, Mersi, East Purwokerto 53112. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Deluxe: Rp 200,000.
- 10 Palapa Hotel, Jl. S. Parman No.283, Purwokerto Kulon, South Purwokerto 53141, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. On a tree-lined street, this laid-back hotel amid shops and eateries is 2 km from the Jenderal Besar Soedirman Mosque and 4 km from Stasiun Purwokerto. Superior: Rp 215,500; Deluxe: Rp 239,300; Family: Rp 325,700.
- 11 ARON Hotel Purwokerto (formerly Borobudur Hotel), Jalan Yosodarmo 32 (close to Rita Supermall and town square), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Known for its 1970s exterior, ARON Hotel was renovated to its current state with preserving its 1970s style. Superior Twin Bed: Rp 235,000 per night.
- 12 Hotel Artha, Jl. Raya Pengasinan No.333, Tanjung, South Purwokerto 53171, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Deluxe: Rp 220,000.
- 13 Mukti Jaya Hotel, Jl. Gerilya No.118, Karangklesem, South Purwokerto 53144. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. On a street lined with shops and eateries, this humble budget hotel is a 4-minute walk from a playground at Andhang Pangrenan Park, and 4 km from both the Museum Bank Rakyat Indonesia and Stasiun Purwokerto. Superior: Rp 220,000; Deluxe: Rp 270,000; Suite: Rp 300,000.
- 14 Papillon Hotel, Jl. Perintis Kemerdekaan No.168, Karangpucung, South Purwokerto 53142, ☏ . Check-in: 1300, check-out: 12:00. Set amid shops and eateries, this no-frills hotel is 2 km from Taman Andhang Pangrenan Purwokerto park and 3 km from financial exhibits at Museum Rakyat Indonesia Bank. Deluxe: Rp 233,000.
- 15 D'Ben Hotel, Jl. Kranji No.60, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. Standard: Rp 235,000.
- 16 Wisata Niaga Hotel, Jl. Merdeka No.5, Purwanegara, East Purwokerto 53116 (downtown), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00 PM, check-out: 12:00. On a bustling tree-lined street, this laid-back hotel with a colorful exterior is a 10-minute walk from shopping and dining at RITA Supermall Purwokerto, and 2 km from Purwokerto railway station. Standard: Rp 305,000; Superior: Rp 340,000; Junior suite: Rp 420,000; Family: Rp 535,000.
- 17 Surya Yudha Hotel, Jalan Gerilya No. 30A, Karangpucung, South Purwokerto 53142, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Near shops and restaurants, this laid-back hotel is an 11-minute walk from Andhang Pangrenan Park and 5 km from Purwokerto train station. Superior: Rp 348,000; Executive: Rp 644,000.
- 18 Dominic Hotel, Jl. Komisaris Bambang Suprapto No.39-41, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53114, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Standart: Rp 320,000; Deluxe: Rp 390,000; Junior Suite: Rp 440,000; DM Suite: Rp 460,000.
- 19 COR Hotel, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.508 - 511, Purwokerto Lor, East Purwokerto 53141, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Superior: Rp 370,000: Junior Suite: Rp 410,000.
- 20 Wisata Niaga Campus Hotel (not to be confused with Wisata Niaga Hotel on Jalan Merdeka), Jl H.R. Bunyamin No.637C, Grendeng, North Purwokerto 53121 (across General Soedirman University, that's why it added "Campus" on its name), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00 price=Superior: 380,000; Family: Rp 490,000.
- 21 Grand Karlita Hotel, Jl. S. Parman No.296, Purwokerto Kulon, South Purwokerto 53141, ☏ 0281 7772500 , fax: 0281 7773500. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Flanked by fields, this informal hotel is a 9-minute walk from Andhang Pangrenan Park, 4 km from Purwokerto railway station and 17 km from Baturaden Botanical Garden. Superior: Rp 405,000; Junior Suite: Rp 990,000; Executive Suite: Rp 3,150,000.
- 22 Meotel Purwokerto, Jl. DR. Soeparno Selatan No.1, Arcawinangun, East Purwokerto 53113, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. This straightforward modern hotel with a funky vibe is a minute’s walk from bars and restaurants, an 18-minute walk from Jenderal Soedirman University, and 4 km from Purwokerto train station. Smart: Rp 418,000; Family: Rp 488,000; Executive: Rp 798,000; Junior Suite: Rp 1,008,000.
- 23 Luminor Hotel, Jl. Jend. Soedirman No.324, Sokanegara, East Purwokerto 53116, ☏ 0281 777 1988 , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Off a bustling road lined with trees, this sleek hotel is a 2-minute walk from the lively Purwokerto City Square and 1 km from Purwokerto train station. Deluxe: Rp 515,000; Executive: Rp 690,000; Junior Suite: Rp 1,065,000.
- 24 Java Heritage Hotel (formerly Horison Hotel), Jl. Dr. Angka No.71, Sokanegara, East Purwokerto 53115 (about 5 minutes drive north of the centre of town, near the main road to Baturraden), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A 15-minute walk from GOR Satria Stadium, this modern, palm tree-fronted hotel is also 1 mile from the town square, Alun-alun Purwokerto. House Deluxe: Rp 703,000; Junior Suite: Rp 2,075,000; Executive Suite: Rp 3,814,500.
- 25 Aston Imperium Hotel, Jl. Overste Isdiman No.33, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53114, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A 12-floor, 4-star hotel with modern architecture. Offers wifi, gym, pool, restaurants, meeting rooms, and spa. Deluxe: Rp 915,000; Junior Suite: Rp 1,715,000; Suite: Rp 2,615,000; Presidential Suite: Rp 4,915,000.
Mount Slamet erupted in 2009 and again in 2014, and for periods afterwards residents and tourists were warned to not approach within 2 km of the crater. Check conditions to determine the threat level before planning a visit.
Purwokerto is relatively safer than any other major cities in Indonesia. However, there were multiple cases of motorcycle theft recently in 2019. If you rent a motorcycle or any other vehicles, make sure to always lock its steering or wheels and triple check before you leave it.
- 11 Polresta Banyumas (Banyumas Municipal Police Headquarter), Jalan Letjend. Pol. R. Sumarto No.100, Purwanegara, North Purwokerto 53126, ☏ 0281-622259 , toll-free: 110, Polresbms@yahoo.co.id. Main police station in Purwokerto area
- 12 Pemadam Kebakaran Banyumas (Banyumas Firefighers Headquarter), Jl. Brigjend. Encung No.104A, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53126, ☏ 0281-632611 , toll-free: 113. 24-hours.
- 13 Margono Soekarjo Regional General Hospital (RSUD Prof. dr. Margono Soekarjo), Jl. Dr. Gumbreg No.1, Berkoh, South Purwokerto 53146, ☏ (0281) 632708 , toll-free: 118/119 , firstname.lastname@example.org. The major regional general hospital for Southwestern Central Java region. Most high-grade medical conditions are referred to this hospital first, due to its moderate number of sub-specialist doctors.
- 14 Wijayakusuma Military Hospital (RST Wijayakusuma), Jl. Prof Dr. HR Bunyamin, Bancarkembar, North Purwokerto 53121, ☏ (0281) 633062 , toll-free: 118/119 , fax: (0281) 637100, email@example.com. General hospital operated by Indonesian Army.
- 15 Hermina Hospital, Purwokerto (RS Hermina Purwokerto), Jl. Yos Sudarso No.2, Karanglewas Lor, West Purwokerto 53134, ☏ (+62 281) 777 2525 , toll-free: 118/119 , fax: (+62 281) 626 472, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 16 Ananda Hospital (RS Ananda Purwokerto), Jl. Pemuda No. 30, Kober, West Purwokerto 53132, ☏ , toll-free: 118/119 , email@example.com.
- 17 Dadi Keluarga Hospital (RSU Dadi Keluarga), Jl. Sultan Agung No. 8A Teluk, South Purwokerto 53145, ☏ (0281) 6847366 , toll-free: 118/119 .
- 18 General Soedirman University Teaching Dental Hospital (Rumah Sakit Gigi dan Mulut Pendidikan Universitas Jenderal Soedirman (RSGMP UNSOED)), Jl. dr. Soeparno, Grendeng, North Purwokerto 53122, ☏ , toll-free: 118/119 , fax: (0281) 629161, firstname.lastname@example.org. 24-hours. the only hospital that specialized in dental and mouth health.
- Mount Slamet, a stratovolcano which still active with recent volcanic activity in 2014. Travelers in Purwokerto will never miss a sight of this volcano since it's only about 15 km north of town centre and is the highest mountain in Central Java, makes it an ideal benchmark for north direction. If any travelers are dare enough to climb it (since it's notoriosly known as one of the hardest mountain to climb in Java), you can visit Bambangan Base Camp in Purbalingga Regency or many other base camps as the starting point (there are at least 12 climbing routes).
- Baturaden is the most famous natural tourist area just north of Purwokerto. Thanks to its temperate climate and abundant amount of waterfalls, there are many villas and tourist attractions that travelers can visit. Lokawisata Baturaden is a nature preservation on a Mount Slamet slope with waterfalls & swimming pools, plus panoramic volcano views. Wana Wisata Baturraden is an ecotourism spot with campgrounds and out-bond facilities, and also serves as a gateway to Baturaden Botanical Garden. Natural tourist attractions in here include Curug Telu, Telaga Sunyi, Hutan Pinus, Curug Kembar, Pancuran Pitu, Curug Ceheng, and many other waterfalls.
- Purbalingga, home of the famous Owabong Waterpark, Sanggaluri Park, and Purbayasa River World.
- Sokaraja, a transit town, is famous for its soto and gethuk goreng.
- Tambak, on the border of Kebumen Regency, 1-hour travel by bus from Purwokerto Bus Terminal for Rp7,000. Offering its famous duck satay. Price Rp10,000.
- Kebumen. a regency famous for its beaches and natural limestone caves. Also for lanthing and satay ambal. There are Gombong town with its colonial and military tourism. There's also an ancient geological national geopark site Karangsambung-Karangbolong.
- Cilacap on the south coast is a growing industrial city, with oil refinery, power station and cement factory. The adventurous can hop off to the south coast beaches of West Java by taking a boat through the Segara Anakan bay.