East Jakarta (Indonesian: Jakarta Timur) is the industrial quarter of Jakarta, and the location of Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, where you can see parts of Indonesia's multi-ethnic community in one park; several golf courses; Cibubur campground; and Jakarta's second airport, Halim Perdanakusuma airport.
1 Halim Perdana Kusuma International Airport (HLP IATA), or simply Halim, is in East Jakarta. The airport is used by military, private jets, and pilots in training, and increasingly also by scheduled domestic flights by low-cost airline Citilink and full-service carrier Batik Air. Most major Indonesian cities can be reached by direct flights from Halim. Bus services are operated by DAMRI to Rawamangun Bus Terminal for Rp 20,000; to Pulogebang, Gambir station, and Bekasi for Rp 25,000; and to Depok, Bogor's Botany Square, and Soekarno-Hatta Airport for Rp 30,000. There are also taxi services. There are half-hourly bus services to Pulo Gadung, Rawamangun, and Kampung Rambutan bus terminals in East Jakarta (see also 'by bus' below).
The much larger Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, which serves many domestic and international flights, is on the other side of the city.
There are seven railway stations in East Jakarta, all served by Jakarta's commuter rail network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek). The main station in East Jakarta is 2 Jatinegara railway station, which serves the yellow (to Depok/Bogor) and blue (to Bekasi) commuter lines, as well as a range of economy, business, and executive class trains to destinations throughout the island of Java, including Bandung, Yogyakarta, and Surabaya.
There are several large bus terminals in East Jakarta. 3 Kampung Rambutan bus terminal serves many city bus and minibus lines, as well as DAMRI buses to and from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. In addition, it is the point of departure for a wide range of intercity buses to cities throughout Java, as well as some destinations in Sumatra and Bali. Other bus terminals include Pulo Gadung and Rawamangun, but in 2016 the government has started to move (intercity) bus lines from these terminals to the new integrated 4 Pulo Gebang bus terminal in the east, near the border with Bekasi.
Several Transjakarta bus rapid transit lines connect East Jakarta to other parts of Jakarta. Transjakarta bus line runs from Pluit in North Jakarta via Jakarta's CBD to East Jakarta (Pinang Ranti). Lines and run from Central Jakarta to Pulo Gadung terminal. Line connects East Jakarta to Ancol in North Jakarta, while line runs from the Tanjung Priok port to various destinations throughout East Jakarta.
The various Transjakarta bus rapid transit lines, as mentioned above, are useful for getting around in East Jakarta, and going to the other parts of the city. Transjakarta line runs entirely within East Jakarta, and connects the Kampung Melayu neighbourhood to the Pulo Gebang bus terminal. Similarly, line connects Kampung Melayu to the Kampung Rambutan bus terminal.
- Heroes (Perjuangan Rakyat Jatinegara) (Jatinegara triangle park, East Jakarta). This statue commemorates the heroic struggle for Indonesian independence by Jatinegara residents in 1945.
- Pancasila (on Taman Mini Indonesia Indah complex). This statue commemorates the declaration of the five basic principles (pancasila) of Indonesia on June 1, 1945.
- 1 Gajah Mada, Telecommunication Museum at Taman Mini Indonesia Indah Complex. You might wonder what the 14th-century military leader Gajah Mada has to do with telecommunications. He swore to unite the Indonesian archipelago, an oath which came true in the 1970s with the launch of a satellite named Palapa, enabling broadcast and phone connectivity within all parts of the country.
- 2 Lubang Buaya, Jl. Lubang Buaya. Marks the site where an alleged failed coup d'état by the Partai Komunis Indonesia (Indonesian Communist Party) met its end in 1965, alongside the bodies of several high-ranking generals who are believed to have been tortured to death.
There are several museums inside Taman Mini Indonesia Indah complex. Website: Museum.
- Telecommunication Museum, from telegraph to satellite.
- Science Museum.
- Military Museum (Museum Keprajuritan).
- Stamp Museum.
- Transportation Museum — cars, trains, cart.
- Energy Museum, electrical equipment, oil drilling, etc.
- Sports Museum.
- Insect Museum.
- Asmat Museum — Asmat is a tribe from Irian Jaya/Papua.
- Museum Purna Bhakti Pertiwi, houses gifts that former president Suharto received from domestic conglomerates and world leaders.
In addition to museums, there are several other attractions within the compound. They include:
- Golden Snail Theater
- Indonesia Archipelago Miniature
- 1 Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (Beautiful Indonesia Miniature Park) ( stop: Pinang Ranti). In the 1970s, first lady Tien Soeharto envisioned a park to present and preserve the diversity of Indonesia's 27 (now 34) provinces. What results now is a pavilion for each province with different buildings (rumah adat) and detailed information about each province's cultures, museums, theaters (an IMAX and a performing arts), and a children's park. Get around the park by monorail, gondola, mini train, or rent a bike. Regular performances occur at selected pavilions and museums, and at the theaters. Taman Mini is vast (about 100 hectares or 250 acres), and seeing all the venues requires more than one day, so plan carefully. The various kinds of tickets can be seen at . If planning to see Taman Mini for more than one day, two hostels are available and should be considered. Rp10,000 per person (from 3 years old); plus Rp10,000/car and Rp6,000/motorcycle; additional entry fee applies to each attraction.
- 2 SnowBay Waterpark, Taman Mini Indonesia Indah. A concept of playing with water in the Arctic (no, the water is not even close to frigid). Highlights include the infamous Hurricane funnel: sit on a flotation device and be swirled several times before being emptied to the water below.
The area hosts some of the best golf courses in Jakarta.
- 3 Jakarta Golf Club, Jl. Rawamangun Muka Raya no. 1, ☎ . The oldest course in Jakarta (1872). Thoughtful and precise approach to the putt.
- 4 Padang Golf Halim, Jl. Skadron Halim Perdana Kusuma, ☎ , . Very close to the airport. Started as the Air Force’s first golf course, now known for its low fees, yet challenging course (high trees, tricky greens). 36 holes (divided into 2 parts).
- Royale Jakarta Golf Club, Jl. Raya Halim Tiga, Halim Perdanakusuma, ☎ . 27 golf holes (North, West, South have 9 holes each). Most require long shots. The restaurant and bar overlook the court. The most complete facility.
- AEON Mall, Jakarta Garden City, RT.1/RW.6, East Cakung, Cakung, East Jakarta 13910. One of the chain mall (AEON) across Jabodetabek region. It has a Ferris Wheel above its building
- Arion Plaza, Jl. Pemuda Kav. 3-4, Rawamangun, Jakarta, ☎ .
- Bassura City, Jl. Basuki Rahmat No. 1A, RT08/RW10, Jakarta 13420.
- Cibubur Junction, Pusdika St. Cibubur, Ciracas, Jakarta 13720.
- Cipinang Indah Mall, Jl. Raya Kalimalang No.kav. 88, RT.18/RW.3, Pondok Bambu, Duren Sawit, Jakarta 13420.
- Grha Cijantung, Jl. Pendidikan #1, Jl. Raya Bogor Km 24. Cijantung, Jakarta 13770.
- Mall Klender (Formerly Mall Citra), Jl. I Gusti Ngurah Rai, Klender, Jakarta 13470.
- Plaza Jatinegara, Jl. Matraman Raya No. 173-175, Jakarta.
- Plaza Kramat Jati Indah, Jl. Raya Bogor Km. 1, Jatinegara, Jakarta 13510.
- Taman Mini Plaza (Tamini), Taman Mini Raya St. No. 15,Pinang Ranti Village, Makasar, Jakarta 13560.
Most notable dining spots in East Jakarta could be found in Rawamangun district due to its nearest distance to Central (Menteng), South (Tebet, Kasablanka, Kuningan), and North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading Boulevard).
- Taman Kuring, Jl Raya Jatinegara Tmr 85 Jakarta. Tel :. +62 21 851-6966. Seafood restaurant. Menu: fish, crab, prawn, salad. Price: approx. US$ 6/person.
- Sea Food 99, Jl. Pondok Gede Raya 30, Jakarta, ☎ . Menu: fish, scallops, crab, salad. approx. US$ 7/person.
- Ayam Goreng Ibu Djagat (Bu Djagat), Jl. Balai Pustaka Timur Blok C No.5, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☎ . 10.30 AM - 10-30 PM. Traditional Fried Chicken. Popular among locals in Rawamangun. Rp 15,000 - Rp 45,000 per person.
- Handayani Prima, Jl. Matraman Raya No. 45, ☎ . East Javanese restaurant. Menu: fried chicken, chicken satay, oxtail soup, kol nenek, oseng-oseng lorjuk, lemburi, kerapu fish. approx. US$ 6/person.
- Martabak Favourite, Jl. Balai Pustaka Timur No. 24, RT.01 / RW.09, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta. 7PM - 12AM. Popular martabak place among locals. They sell only the sweet martabak variant and for the savoury ones just across the street near Dunkin' Donuts. Ranging from Rp 25,000 to Rp 60,000.
- Ny Soeharti, Jl. Pemuda 3A, Rawamangun, East Jakarta, ☎ . Traditional fried chicken chain. Menu: fried chicken, gudeg, fried rice. approx. US$ 4/person.
- Ponyo, Jl. Tongkol 10, Klender. East Jakarta, ☎ . Sundanese restaurant. Menu: salad, grilled fish, fried chicken. approx. US$ 6/person.
- Wong Solo, Jl. Raya Kalimalang Blok A2 No. 8/9 Pondok Kelapa, ☎ . 10AM–10:30PM. Traditional grilled chicken chain. Menu: grilled chicken, fried fish, prawn, tom yam, salad. approx. US$4/person.
- Pagi Sore, Jl. Rawamangun Muka Timur No.1A, RT.4/RW.12, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☎ . 10AM - 10PM. Padangnese Food, one of the notable restaurant chain as 'Sederhana'. Approx. Rp. 40,000 - Rp 100,000 per person, depending on your preferences.
- Restoran Sederhana, Jl. Balai Pustaka No.1, RT.7/RW.15, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☎ . 8AM-10PM. Padangnese Food, you can either 'pesan' (take away) or 'hidang' (dine-in). Approx. Rp 30,000 - Rp 75,000 depending on your preferences.
- De Facto Coffee and Eatery, Jl. Balai Pustaka Tim. Blok B05 No.39, RT.4 RW.9,, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☎ . 12PM - 10PM. Coffee place and restaurant with dishes mainly ranging from Indonesian to western. About Rp 50,000 to Rp 80,000 per person.
- Quiznos Sub, Jl. Pemuda No.30, Rawamangun, Pulogadung, RT.2/RW.7, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☎ . 6AM - 12AM. Subway equivalent in Jakarta. Sells dishes from breakfast to dinner. Popular amongst students for its wi-fi connectivity and its spacious and cozy place. Rp 50,000 to Rp 120,000 per person.
- Starbucks, Jl. Paus No.88, RT.1/RW.8, Jati, 13220, East Jakarta, ☎ . 10AM - 10PM. Popular coffeehouse chain. Rp 30,000 - Rp 80,000 per person.
- Anggrek Bar, Jl Bekasi Tmr Raya 9, Cipinang, Jakarta 13350, ☎ .
Unfortunately (considering the sheer size of the area) few hotels are available here. Most of the district is used for residential or industrial purposes, and not many tourist attractions exist.
- 1 [dead link]Grha Wisata Youth Hostel, ☎ , fax: . A backpacker-style hotel provided by the government. Half price for students. 20-people bunk-bed dorm from Rp20,000. Air-conditioned doubles from Rp50,000.
- 2 favehotel Pusat Grosir Cililitan, Jl. Mayjen Sutoyo No.76,, ☎ . One of the best budget options for staying in the region. Boutique-style hotel and rooms. Limited breakfast options but satisfactory. From Rp275,000.
- 3 Ibis Jakarta Cawang, Jl. M.T. Haryono no. 9, ☎ . Probably the best hotel in East Jakarta. The local brand has already made you safe staying here. Good rooms, good options for breakfast. From Rp500,000.
- 4 Mega Matra, Jl. Matraman Raya No. 115,, ☎ . On the main street of East Jakarta. The hotel looks grim on the outside, slightly better on the inside. Small coffee shop and noisy lounge for a night out downstairs. from Rp400,000.
- 5 Park Hotel, Jl DI Pandjaitan Kav 5-7, ☎ . One of the best hotel options in East Jakarta. Right next to the toll road. Room size may be small. Terrace Café for breakfast, Skyy rooftop bar for a night cocktail. From Rp750,000.
- 6 Hotel Sentra Jakarta, Jalan Pramuka Raya Kav. 63-64. A simple hotel in East Jakarta. Modest rooms. From Rp575,000.
- Ambulance: 118.
- Police: 110.
- East Jakarta Police station: Jl. Matraman Raya No. 224, Tel.: +62 21 819 1476, +62 21 8191478.
List of hospitals with 24-hour emergency rooms (ER):
- RSU Pusat Persahabatan, Jl. Persahabatan Raya, Rawamangun Jakarta Timur, Tel. +62 21 489 1708, Fax: +62 21 471 1222.
- RSU Daerah Pasar Rebo, Jl. Raya Condet No. 30, Jakarta Timur, Tel.: +62 21 840 0109, +62 21 8401127, +62 21 84011049, +62 21 8411159.
- RSU Daerah Budhi Asih, Jl . Dewi Sartika Cawang 111/200 Jakarta Timur, Tel. +62 21 8092482, +62 21 8090282, +62 21 8009157, Fax.: +62 21 8009157.
- RS Mitra Keluarga, Jl . Raya Jatinegara Timur No. 87 Jakarta 13310, Tel. +62 21 2800666, +62 21 2800888, +62 21 2800999, Fax.: +62 21 280075.
- RS Kartika Pulo Mas, Jl. Pulo Mas Timur K, Blok G-H C/I, Pulo Mas, Tel. +62 21 471 4793, Fax.: +62 21 470 3333.
- The city of Bekasi is just to the east, with more shopping malls.
- Bandung is about two hours east of Jakarta, in the mountains of West Java.
|Routes through East Jakarta|
|Anyer ← Central Jakarta ←||W E||→ South Jakarta → Panarukan|