East Jakarta (Indonesian: Jakarta Timur) is the industrial quarter of Jakarta, and the location of Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, where you can see parts of Indonesia's multi-ethnic community in one park; several golf courses; Cibubur campground; and Jakarta's second airport, Halim Perdanakusuma airport.
0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E 0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E 0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E 0°0′0″N 0°0′0″E
- 1 Halim Perdana Kusuma International Airport (HLP IATA, or simply Halim) (is in East Jakarta). The airport is used by military, private jets, and pilots in training, and increasingly also by scheduled domestic flights by low-cost airline Citilink and full-service carrier Batik Air. Most major Indonesian cities can be reached by direct flights from Halim. Bus services are operated by DAMRI to Rawamangun Bus Terminal for Rp 20,000; to Pulogebang, Gambir station, and Bekasi for Rp 25,000; and to Depok, Bogor's Botany Square, and Soekarno-Hatta Airport for Rp 30,000. There are also taxi services. There are half-hourly bus services to Pulo Gadung, Rawamangun, and Kampung Rambutan bus terminals in East Jakarta (see also 'by bus' below).
The much larger Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, which serves many domestic and international flights, is on the other side of the city.
There are seven railway stations in East Jakarta, all served by Jakarta's commuter rail network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek). The main station in East Jakarta is 2 Jatinegara railway station, which serves the yellow (to Depok/Bogor) and blue (to Bekasi) commuter lines, as well as a range of economy, business, and executive class trains to destinations throughout the island of Java, including Bandung, Yogyakarta, and Surabaya.
There are several large bus terminals in East Jakarta. 3 Kampung Rambutan bus terminal serves many city bus and minibus lines, as well as DAMRI buses to and from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. In addition, it is the point of departure for a wide range of intercity buses to cities throughout Java, as well as some destinations in Sumatra and Bali. Other bus terminals include Pulo Gadung and Rawamangun, but in 2016 the government has started to move (intercity) bus lines from these terminals to the new integrated 4 Pulo Gebang bus terminal in the east, near the border with Bekasi.
Several Transjakarta bus rapid transit lines connect East Jakarta to other parts of Jakarta. Transjakarta bus line runs from Pluit in North Jakarta via Jakarta's CBD to East Jakarta (Pinang Ranti). Lines and run from Central Jakarta to Pulo Gadung terminal. Line connects East Jakarta to Ancol in North Jakarta, while line runs from the Tanjung Priok port to various destinations throughout East Jakarta.
The various Transjakarta bus rapid transit lines, as mentioned above, are useful for getting around in East Jakarta, and going to the other parts of the city. Transjakarta line runs entirely within East Jakarta, and connects the Kampung Melayu neighbourhood to the Pulo Gebang bus terminal. Similarly, line connects Kampung Melayu to the Kampung Rambutan bus terminal.
LRT Jakarta serves the route from Pegangsaan Dua station to Velodrome with four stops between them.
- 1 Heroes (Perjuangan Rakyat Jatinegara) (Jatinegara triangle park, East Jakarta). This statue commemorates the heroic struggle for Indonesian independence by Jatinegara residents in 1945.
- 2 Lubang Buaya, Jl. Lubang Buaya. Marks the site where an alleged failed coup d'état by the Partai Komunis Indonesia (Indonesian Communist Party) met its end in 1965, alongside the bodies of several high-ranking generals who are believed to have been tortured to death.
- 1Taman Mini Indonesia Indah (Beautiful Indonesia Miniature Park) ( stop: Pinang Ranti). In the 1970s, first lady Tien Soeharto envisioned a park to present and preserve the diversity of Indonesia's 27 (now 34) provinces. What results now is a pavilion for each province with different buildings (rumah adat) and detailed information about each province's cultures, museums, theaters (an IMAX and a performing arts), and a children's park. Get around the park by monorail, gondola, mini train, or rent a bike. Regular performances occur at selected pavilions and museums, and at the theaters. Taman Mini is vast (about 100 hectares or 250 acres), and seeing all the venues requires more than one day, so plan carefully. The various kinds of tickets can be seen at taman mini. If planning to see Taman Mini for more than one day, two hostels are available and should be considered. Rp10,000 per person (from 3 years old); plus Rp10,000/car and Rp6,000/motorcycle; additional entry fee applies to each attraction.
- 2 Jakarta International Velodrome, Jl. Balap Sepeda No.35, RW.6, Jati, Pulo Gadung (Using LRT Jakarta, you may get off at Velodrome station), ☏ . 06:00-21:00. An indoor cycling track. There is also a park surrounding it.
The area hosts some of the best golf courses in Jakarta.
- 3 Jakarta Golf Club, Jl. Rawamangun Muka Raya no. 1, ☏ . The oldest course in Jakarta (1872). Thoughtful and precise approach to the putt.
- 4 Padang Golf Halim, Jl. Skadron Halim Perdana Kusuma, ☏ , . Very close to the airport. Started as the Air Force’s first golf course, now known for its low fees, yet challenging course (high trees, tricky greens). 36 holes (divided into 2 parts).
- 5 Royale Jakarta Golf Club, Jl. Raya Halim Tiga, Halim Perdanakusuma, ☏ . 27 golf holes (North, West, South have 9 holes each). Most require long shots. The restaurant and bar overlook the court. The most complete facility.
- 1 Jakarta State University (Universitas Negeri Jakarta, UNJ), Jl. R. Mangun Muka Raya No.11, RT.11/RW.14, Rawamangun, Pulo Gadung, ☏ . Opened in 1964. The major program is in the Faculty of Education.
- 1 AEON Mall, Jakarta Garden City, RT.1/RW.6, East Cakung, Cakung, East Jakarta 13910. One of the AEON's chain mall across Jabodetabek region with dominant Japanese nuances on its decorations, numerous shopping brands, and its own food-court. It has a Ferris Wheel above its building as the main attraction to its visitors.
- 2 Arion Plaza (Arion Mall), Jalan Pemuda Kav. 3-4, Rawamangun, Jakarta, ☏ .
- 3 Bassura City, Jalan Basuki Rahmat No. 1A, RT08/RW10, Jakarta 13420.
- 4 Cibubur Junction, Jalan Jambore No.1, RW.7, Cibubur, Jakarta 13720.
- 5 Cipinang Indah Mall, Jalan Raya Kalimalang No.kav. 88, RT.18/RW.3, Pondok Bambu, Duren Sawit, Jakarta 13420.
- 6 Mall Graha Cijantung, Jalan. Pendidikan No. 1, Jl. Raya Bogor Km 24. Cijantung, Jakarta 13770.
- 7 Mall Klender (Formerly Mall Citra), Jalan I Gusti Ngurah Rai, Klender, Jakarta 13470 (KRL blue line stop: Klender or stop: Flyover Klender).
- 8 City Plaza Jatinegara, Jalan Matraman Raya No. 173-175, Jakarta.
- 9 Plaza Kramat Jati Indah, Jalan Raya Bogor Km. 1, Jatinegara, Jakarta 13510.
- 10 Taman Mini Square (Tamini), Jalan Taman Mini I No. 1, Pinang Ranti, Jakarta 13560.
- 11 Pramuka Bird Market (Pasar Burung Pramuka), Jl. Kayu Manis Utara No.19, RT.8/RW.1 (located within Pramuka Market). The biggest bird market in Jakarta and probably in South East Asia.
Most notable dining spots in East Jakarta could be found in Rawamangun district due to its nearest distance to Central (Menteng), South (Tebet, Kasablanka, Kuningan), and North Jakarta (Kelapa Gading Boulevard).
- Sea Food 99, Jalan Pahlawan Revolusi No.51, RT.3/RW.5, Pondok Bambu, 13430 Jakarta, ☏ . Menu: fish, scallops, crab, salad.
- 1 Asinan Betawi H. Mansyur, Jl. Taman Kamboja, Rawamangun, ☏ . Betawi specialties, The vegetable asinan of the Betawi people from Jakarta is preserved Chinese cabbage, cabbage, bean sprouts, tofu, and lettuce served in a thin, hot, peanut sauce with vinegar, topped with peanuts and krupuk, especially krupuk mie (noodles crackers). Start from Rp16,000.
- Handayani Prima, Jalan Matraman Raya No. 45, ☏ . East Javanese restaurant.
- Martabak Favourite, Jalan Balai Pustaka Timur No. 24, RT.01 / RW.09, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta (just across the street near Dunkin' Donuts). 19:00-00:00. Popular martabak place among locals. They sell only the sweet martabak variant and for the savoury ones. Ranging from Rp 25,000 to Rp 60,000.
- Nyonya Soeharti, Jalan Pemuda 3A, Rawamangun, East Jakarta, ☏ . Traditional fried chicken chain. Menu: fried chicken, gudeg, fried rice. approx. US$4/person.
- Pagi Sore, Jl. Rawamangun Muka Timur No.1A, RT.4/RW.12, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☏ . 10:00 - 22:00. Padangnese Food, one of the notable restaurant chain as 'Sederhana'. Rp. 40,000 - Rp 100,000 per person, depending on your preferences.
- Restoran Sederhana, Jl. Balai Pustaka No.1, RT.7/RW.15, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☏ . 08:00-22:00. Padangnese Food, you can either 'pesan' (take away) or 'hidang' (dine-in). Rp 30,000 - Rp 75,000 depending on your preferences.
- Quiznos Sub, Jl. Pemuda No.30, Rawamangun, Pulogadung, RT.2/RW.7, Rawamangun, 13220, East Jakarta, ☏ . 06:00-00:00. 'Subway' equivalent in Jakarta. Sells dishes from breakfast to dinner. Popular amongst students for its wi-fi connectivity and its spacious and cozy place. Rp 50,000 to Rp 120,000 per person.
- The Grill Father, Jalan Pahlawan Revolusi No.10, RT.4/RW.3, Pondok Bambu, 13430 (Ex-Giant Pondok Bambu (across Burger King)). Tuesday to Sunday from 18:00-23:00. A semi-outdoor restaurant with a bunch of various menus as well from ramen to steak. About Rp 150,000 per person.
Rawamangun district is known for its notorious food and beverage scene in East Jakarta. Coffee shops are also abundant here, although East Jakarta just starts picking up its pace to be an exciting place and the main options to hang out.
- Mr. O Coffee, Jalan Rawamangun Muka Timur No. 54, RT.3/RW.14, Rawamangun, 13220 (Near Pagi Sore Minangnese Restaurant), ☏ . 09:30-21:30. A cozy, small, coffee shop offers range of mostly locally produced coffee beans selections. Plenty of light bites or snacks.
- Hegemony Coffee and Eatery, Jalan Sunan Sedayu No.7, RT.1/RW.6, Rawamangun, 13220. Tu-Su 10:00-00:00, closed on Mondays. Industrial-themed decorated coffee shop with a combination of traditional and modern concept. Sells mostly light bites such as Churros, Sandwich, and Pancakes besides Coffee.
- Kedai Locale, Jalan Balai Pustaka No.C-6, RT.5/RW.10, Rawamangun, 13220, ☏ . Su-Th 07:30:00-23:00, F Sat 07:30-01:00. A local coffee shop that sells mostly Indonesian coffee. Offers meals ranging from light bites to heavy ones such as Nasi Goreng.
- PAUSE Kedai Makan & Ngopi, Jalan Paus Nomor 91 Blok D-E Rawamangun, 13220 (Near Domino's Pizza), ☏ . Daily 09:00-23:00.
- Rumah Kongkow, Jalan Alu-Alu No.1, Rawamangun, RT.12/RW.7, 13220, ☏ . Su-Th 11:00-23:00, F Sa 11:00-01:00.
- Kopi Wangsa, Jalan Pahlawan Revolusi No.5, RT.8/RW.9, Pondok Bambu, Jakarta 13430, ☏ . 07-22:00. Rp10,000-Rp50,000.
There are few hotels are available here. Most of the district is used for residential or industrial purposes, and there are not many tourist attractions.
- 1 favehotel Pusat Grosir Cililitan, Jl. Mayjen Sutoyo No.76,, ☏ . One of the best budget options for staying in the region. Boutique-style hotel and rooms. Limited breakfast options but satisfactory. From Rp275,000.
- 2 Sentral Cawang Hotel Jakarta, Jl. Letjen M.T. Haryono No.9, ☏ . Probably the best hotel in East Jakarta. The local brand has already made you safe staying here. Good rooms, good options for breakfast. From Rp210,000.
- 3 Mega Matra, Jl. Matraman Raya No. 115, ☏ . On the main street of East Jakarta. The hotel looks grim on the outside, slightly better on the inside. Small coffee shop and noisy lounge for a night out downstairs. From Rp400,000.
- 4 Park Hotel, Jl. DI Pandjaitan Kav 5-7, ☏ . One of the best hotel options in East Jakarta. Right next to the toll road. Room size may be small. Terrace Café for breakfast, Skyy rooftop bar for a night cocktail. From Rp378,000.
- 5 Hotel Sentra Jakarta, Jalan Pramuka Raya Kav. 63-64, ☏ . A simple hotel in East Jakarta. Modest rooms. From Rp575,000.
- 6 Holiday Inn Matraman, Jl. Matraman Raya No. 57, ☏ . A 3-star hotel near Gramedia Matraman, one of the biggest book store in Jakarta. From US$21.
- 7 Balairung Hotel, Jl. Matraman Raya No.19, ☏ , , fax: , email@example.com. A 3-star, moslem friendly hotel.
- Ambulance: 118.
- Police: 110.
- East Jakarta Police station: Jl. Matraman Raya No. 224, Tel.: +62 21 819 1476, +62 21 8191478.
List of hospitals with 24-hour emergency rooms (ER):
- 2 RSU Pusat Persahabatan, Jl. Persahabatan Raya, Rawamangun Jakarta Timur, ☏ , fax: .
- 3 RSU Daerah Pasar Rebo, Jl. Raya Condet No. 30, Jakarta Timur, ☏ , , , .
- 4 RSU Daerah Budhi Asih, Jl . Dewi Sartika Cawang 111/200 Jakarta Timur, ☏ , , , fax: .
- 5 RS Premier Jatinegara (formerly "RS Mitra Keluarga Jatinegara"), Jl . Raya Jatinegara Timur No. 87 Jakarta 13310 ( stop: Jatinegara RS Premier), ☏ , , , fax: .
- RS Kartika Pulo Mas, Jl. Pulo Mas Timur K, Blok G-H C/I, Pulo Mas, ☏ , fax: .
- The city of Bekasi is just to the east, with more shopping malls.
- Bandung is about two hours east of Jakarta, in the mountains of West Java.
|Routes through East Jakarta|
|Anyer ← Central Jakarta ←||W E||→ South Jakarta → Panarukan|