South Jakarta (Indonesian: Jakarta Selatan) is one of the municipalities of the Indonesian capital Jakarta, known for its upscale residential areas and shopping malls, and a part of the city's business district with tall office buildings and wide boulevards.
In the north of South Jakarta, there are huge business districts with many skyscrapers, including the Kuningan district (with many embassies), Setiabudi, and the Sudirman business district. Many parts of South Jakarta are known for upscale shopping centres and malls, restaurants, hotels, bustling nightlife and entertainment centres, such as Blok M and Kemang, with the latter being especially popular among expats and locals for its nightlife and entertainment. Pondok Indah is an upper middle class and elite's residential area, sometimes dubbed the 'Beverly Hills' of Indonesia. Also the headquarters of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is in South Jakarta.
Both the Jakarta inner ring road (Lingkar Dalam Kota) and outer ring road (Lingkar Luar or JORR) traverse South Jakarta. South Jakarta can be reached in 30 minutes from Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta International Airport if there is no traffic congestion. However, major traffic congestion is very common, and the trip from the airport to South Jakarta usually takes 1 to 2 hours.
There are numerous railway stations in South Jakarta that are served by the commuter rail network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek). 1 Manggarai railway station in the far northeast of South Jakarta is a hub in the commuter rail network, with blue line trains to Bekasi, and with red and yellow line trains to Depok and Bogor. These lines also provide connections to the other municipalities of Jakarta. For long-distance trains, you will need to go to Gambir or Pasar Senen stations in Central Jakarta.
The main intercity bus terminal in South Jakarta is 2 Lebak Bulus bus terminal in the southwest near the outer ring road. The terminal serves a large number of city buses and minibuses, as well as frequent intercity buses to destinations throughout Java island, and regular buses to Bali and Sumatra. Another large terminal in south Jakarta is the 3 Blok M bus terminal, but this terminal only serves buses within the city and its metropolitan area.
South Jakarta can be reached from the other parts of Jakarta also by using one of the Transjakarta bus rapid transit lines. Key lines include line from Jakarta's old town in West Jakarta via Central Jakarta to Blok M, and line from Jakarta's city centre to Pondok Indah and the Lebak Bulus bus terminal.
The Transjakarta Line 6 goes along the Rasuna Said avenue and Mampang to the Ragunan Zoo. The South Jakarta portion of line 9 runs from Semanggi to Cawang Train station, with an interchange to Line 6 at Kuningan Barat/Kuningan Timur bus stop. Line 8 goes to the city's western portion, passing through Gandaria, Permata Hijau, and Pondok Indah district before terminating at Lebak Bulus.
Art and Cultural Centre
- British Council Jakarta, Gedung Bursa Efek Jakarta Tower 2, 16th floor, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, Jakarta 12190, ☎ , fax: . Movie, drama, library, paintings, poem etc.
- Candrika Gallery, Pondok Indah Plaza I Blok II No UA-19, Jakarta 12310, Lt 1, ☎ . Fine arts, paintings.
- Erasmus Huis, Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said Kav. S-3, Kuningan Jakarta 12950, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A Dutch cultural hub. Next to the Dutch embassy. Movie, drama, music show, library etc.
- Ruang Rupa Gallery, Jl. Tebet Barat Dalam St. 1 # 26, Jakarta 12810, Tel.: +62 21 829 4238, Fax.: +62 21 829 4238. Fine arts, paintings, publisher of art journal "Karbon".
- SIGIarts Gallery, Jl. Mahakam St. 1 # 11, Jakarta 12130. Fine arts. Website:.
- Space Man "Patung Dirgantara/Pancoran", on Pancoran roundabout. This statue commemorated the achievement of Indonesian Air Force in defending Indonesian territory. Created by Edhi Sunarso and Keluarga Arca from Jogjakarta. Now, it's difficult to see this statue because the statue is partially covered by Tebet flyover/toll road bridges.
- Djoko Sutono, Police Academy (PTIK) Jl. Tirtayasa 6, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. This statue commemorated Professor DR. Djoko Sutono, SH, the founder of Indonesian Police Academy.
- Gajah Mada, Indonesian Police HQ, Jl. Trunojoyo 3, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. This statue commemorated the establishment of Bhayangkara / Police corps led by Patih Gajah Mada from Majapahit Kingdom (14th century).
- Youth Spirit, on the roundabout at the southern end of Jendral Soedirman street. Created by Moenir Pamoentjak. This statue commemorated the struggle for Independence by young students/"Tentara Pelajar". This statue is often called "Pizza Delivery".
- Basoeki Abdullah, Jl. Keuangan Raya No.19, Cilandak Barat, ☎ . The late Basoeki Abdullah was a famous painter in Indonesia and Dutch. Collection: hundreds of beautiful paintings, sculpture, masks, watches. Opening hours: 08.30 AM to 03.30 PM daily, except Monday.
- Harry Darsono, Jl. Cilandak Tengah No. 71 Jakarta Selatan. Harry Darsono PhD is a famous, multi talented designer. His famous design include fashion, batik, and furniture. He is also a lecturer at universities, amateur musician, and wine connosieur. Collection: fashion, textile, batik, antique piano.
- Police Museum, Jl. Trunojoyo 1, Jakarta Selatan.
- Satria Mandala (formerly Wisma Yaso), Jl. Gatot Soebroto, Jakarta Selatan, ☎ . Military Museum. Wisma Yaso is the former residence of Indonesian first president, Soekarno.
- Sasmita Loka. The former house of Gen. Ahmad Yani who was kidnapped and murdered in the communist attempt to stage a coup in 1965. The house right now has become a museum. Getting there Transjakarta Busway line IV (Pasar Rumput) (Beginning 15 January 2007).
Beneath the high rise office buildings and elite residences, South Jakarta is a wonderful place to play.
- 1 Pondok Indah Water Park, Jl. Metro Pondok Indah, Jakarta,, ☎ . A water park perfect if what you want is leisure rather than adrenaline. Not many slides but very kid-friendly.
- 2 Ragunan Zoo, Jl Harsono RM 1. 6:30AM-7PM. Indonesia's first and now most famous zoo, established more than 150 years ago. 295 species roaming the area, many are endemic to Indonesia only. Parking fee Rp6,500/car, entrance fee=Rp4,500 adults and Rp3,500 children. Closed on Monday, animals' holiday. There is a special area for primates (monkeys, apes, and its derivatives) called Schmutzer, a still active conservation and research center. Ticket fee for Schmutzer is Rp6,000 weekdays and Rp7,500 on weekend, Sunday and holiday. Out from there, the animals are ready to greet you in open air. Starting on April 27, 2016 payment have to use JakCard from Jakarta Government Bank and it makes difficulty for many people who have no JakCard. JakCard can be used only for limited transaction such as TransJakarta, but TransJakarta can use other cards. The children can also play with tame animals in another dedicated area and watch many animal performances, only on weekend, Sunday and holiday. Rent a bike for hour(s) to tour the zoo quicker (near North Entrance (Pintu Utara) 2) or get around with horse cart on weekend, Sunday and holiday only and set a mat under a tree for a picnic.
- 3 Setu Babakan, Jl Muhammad Kahfi II - Srengseng Sawah Jagakarsa. This area is actually a lake, but it is where the indigenous Betawi set up an area for outsiders to know their culture. The weekend is especially the perfect time to visit as the food stalls is set up for you to savor Jakarta's local cuisine and the locals let you learn to perform their dance and play in the orchestra.
- 4 Kidzania, Pacific Place Mall 6th floor, Jl. Jend Sudirman Kav. 52-53, ☎ . M-Th 09:00-16:00 (full session play); F-Su, school holiday 09:00-14:00, 15:00-20:00. Let your kids (ages 4-16) be an adult for a few hours at this theme park! Fulfill your children's dream job or help them find what is right for them, be it a TV presenter, a detective, or even an F1 racer! On the upper floor, they can visit a mock up factory to see how things are made and try them hands-on. Kids: Weekdays Rp90,000; Weekends Rp150,000; school/public holiday Rp200,000. Adults: Rp 90,000; school/public holiday Rp200,000.
- Martha Tilaar Spa, Jl. Prapanca Raya Blok P III No 3,Jakarta Selatan, Tel.: +62 21 739-3519, Jl. Gedung Hijau Raya no.26, Pondok Indah, Jakarta Selatan, Tel.: +62 21 7591-4216. Jl. Cikini Raya No 83, Jakarta Pusat, Tel.: +62 21 319-37616, Jl. Wahid Hasyim No 19-21, Jakarta Pusat, Tel.: +62 21 319-25921. Website: Martha Tilaar. Treatment: body, face, hand, foot, hair. One of the best spa in Jakarta. Price: splurge.
- Puri Santi Spa, Jl. Bunga Mawar 19, Cipete, South Jakarta (off Jl. Pangeran Antasari), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Single treatment rooms with ensuite shower / bathtub, VIP couple suite with garden view with private jacuzzi & hot steam shower. A luxurious place and all products are made from pure plant based ingredients. Opening hours: daily 9AM - 8PM
- Apollo Bar & Lounge, Bellagio Boutique Mall UG Level, Jl. Mega Kuningan Barat VII, Jakarta 12950, ☎ . A place for you if you into cabaret lipsync show of transgender Divas or muscled Gogo dancers. Currently the hippest gay club in Jakarta.
- Dragonfly, Jl Jend Gatot Subroto Kav 23 Graha BIP Lt 1 Jakarta 12930, ☎ . Expensive restaurant and stylish nightclub in shades of black and red, with a two-story wine rack. As of 2006 probably Jakarta's top place for the idle rich to see and be seen, so expect long queues on weekends unless you show up before midnight or know the right people. Free entry, but steeply priced drinks at Rp.70,000 and up.
- Monaco Club, ☎ . Hotel Gran Mahakam, Jl Mahakam I no 6, Jakarta Selatan. Discotheque, dance,Karaoke rooms, Bar. Japanese and French cuisine: escargot, sushi, sashimi. Drinks: Mojito, Cinzano Piccolo, Vino de Monaco, Vodca Martini. Opening hours: Tuesday to Thursday: 6PM-2AM, Friday and Saturday: 6 PM-3.30AM, Sunday: 7PM-1AM. Price: splurge.
- Nirvana, Hotel Maharadja, Jl. Kapten Tendean 1, South Jakarta, ☎ . Facility: Disco, Karaoke, home band, damce floor. Music style: tribal, garage, oldies, underground. Opening hours: 11.00 pm to 04.00 AM. Karaoke facility on 2nd floor: 10 rooms from US$ 10/hour.
- White House, Jl Jend Sudirman Kav 54-55 Plaza Bapindo Ged Parkir Lt 1, Jakarta 12190, ☎ .
- X-Lounge/Vertigo, Gedung Veteran RI 16-17F (in Plaza Semanggi), Jl. Gatot Subroto, Jakarta 12930, ☎ . Two interconnected clubs, the more nightclubby Vertigo upstairs playing harder dance music and the more bar-like X-Lounge downstairs spinning R&B and pop. Entrance Rp. 80,000 on weekends, which gets you a drink and access to both.
- X2/Equinox, Plaza Senayan
- Lasonta Discotheque, Jl. Palatehan I 29, Block M, Jakarta 12160, ☎ .
- Matoa Nasional Golf Course, Jl. Moh Kahfi I Km 7 Ciganjur - Jakarta Selatan 12630, Tel.: +62 21 787 0864, Fax.: +62 21 727 0422.
- Pondok Indah Golf and Country Club, Metro Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, ☎ . A huge sign "Pondok Indah Golf and Country Club - 1983 World Cup Venue" marks the entrance. Has a driving range. Rp40,000 for 100 balls. + Rp20,000 (caddy fee). 2 levels of driving range bays, with a beautiful view. The range area is water, with several islands for you to aim at.
Prof. Dr. Satrio Avenue
An idea by an Indonesian property mogul, Ciputra, is to transform this avenue into a street of shopping malls, equivalent to Singapore's Orchard Road or Shanghai's Nanjing Lu. Development of the area has been extensive and as of now, there are already 4 malls standing in this area, all very close to each other.
- 1 ITC Kuningan, Jl. Professor Doktor Satrio Kav. 25. A lower class mall, with small shacks of micro businesses. Get cheap fashion or moreover, fix your electronic devices here. In contrast, the upper floor has premium dining options, while lower floor has Carrefour.
- 2 Kuningan City (locally abbreviated Kuncit), Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio Kav. 18. An all rounder mall, but pretty small in size, no big premium brands. A second choice for dining options.
- 3 Lotte Shopping Avenue, Jl. Professor Doktor Satrio No.5. Inspired by the similar concept of its flagship mall in South Korea, it is catered to mainly the youth, but has the best food options in the strip that everyone should not miss. The youth can have a photograph with some replicas of the Korean idols. Big establishments include the Uniqlo clothing store, the 99 Ranch Market grocery store, the Toys City, the Lotte Duty Free, and 3 premium dining options up on the highest floor. The restaurants at the 3rd floor cater to mostly East Asian delicacies, but a few serve Indonesian or other international cuisines.
- 4 Mal Ambassador, Jl. Professor Doktor Satrio Kav. 25. A similar option to ITC Kuningan, both are connected by a skybridge. Get cheap fashion or moreover, fix your electronic devices here. More eating options than ITC with famous Indonesian chain brands.
- Blok M Plaza, Jl. Bulungan 76, ☎ . A middle class mall. If you want to buy fashion & apparels, there are upscale options but much cheaper at the Blok M Square next door, but this is supposedly where you want to grab a bite or watch a movie after the shopping, as the restaurants are cleaner.
- Blok M Square, Jl. Melawai No. 5, ☎ . Accessible from the underground tunnel from Blok M Plaza, both malls can be visited depending on your purpose. This is the place where you buy cheap fashion and apparels (and cheap books), which may look hectic as Ambassador Mall or Mangga Dua. If you are in for something to eat, it's much better to get to the Blok M Plaza next door, unless you prefer a snack or light meal.
- Dharmawangsa Square Citywalk, Jalan Dharmawangsa Kav. 6, Kebayoran Baru. A mall to go to if you don't like the crowded hype. Close to the premium hotel of the same name is a mall with premium tenants (well, most are not chain brands) and dining options.
- Gandaria City, Jalan Sultan Iskandar Muda Kav. 5-8. One huge mall at South Jakarta, easier to get lost than most other malls! Al fresco dining at Main Street, with restaurants topping the first two floors, but the option does not end there: an Eat & Eat food court at the top floor and other sporadic establishments. So big, they can handle two events together at two different stages, the outdoor is usually the more important one. Watch at one of the only two IMAX theaters in Indonesia that broadcast blockbuster films on schedule, and be a pilot at the exclusive Flight Experience 100% scale of Boeing 737-800 airplane cockpit simulator, certified by FAA, CASA, CAA and DCA.
- 5 Kota Kasablanka (locally abbreviated Kokas), Jalan Casablanca Raya Kav. 88, ☎ . A premium mall at the Pancoran area. Branded middle-upper class boutiques in line with Sogo department store and many huge tenants. The Food Society at the ground and upper ground floors provide an exhilarating dining experience, one of the most favorite spots for culinary get-goers.
- 6 Pasaraya Grande, Jl. Iskandarsyah II/2, Blok M. Great hangout place in South Jakarta with its many cafes and restaurants. It has a big food court at the basement with extensive selection of local and international cuisine. The mall itself sprawls a wide array of clothing items from local and international designers. It has a floor dedicated entirely to Indonesian traditional clothing and handicrafts, although the items are a bit pricey.
- Plaza Semanggi, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav 50. This large, airy and brand new mall (opened 2004) has something for everyone, with floors devoted to fashion, IT, and even furniture. Good selection of restaurants on floor 3A. Plaza Semanggi also offers a great view of Jakarta from it's deck on the 10th floor(Plangi Sky DIning). A number of restaurants is also available on the 10th floor.
- Pondok Indah Mall, Jl.Metro Pondok Indah No. 1, Pondok Indah. Two malls connected by a skybridge, the complex claims to be the biggest in Jakarta. Sogo, Metro, cafes, restaurants and the usual suspects. The favourite mall of most expats in Jakarta. Anchored by Sogo and Metro Department store.
- Ratu Plaza, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav.9, ☎ , fax: . Great for electronics and computer products.
- Frankfurter Hotdog, Cilandak Town Square 1st Floor, TB Simatupang Kav 17, Pondok Indah Mal II, 3 Fl. #347, ☎ . American fastfood. Menu: frankfurter, bratwurst, winner, mask hotdog, corizo, hamburger, tafein, salad, friezz. approx. US$ 5/person.
- TC Squares, Jl. Kemang Raya 24A, Kemang Jakarta Selatan, Tel.: +62 21 7194270 Fax : +62 21 7194274. European restaurant. Menu: olive bread sandwich, burger, chimicangas, cordon bleu, pasta, grilled sirloin, oxtail soup, poffertjes, rujak. Drink: es teler. Opening hours: 11.00 AM to midnight.
- Kafe Pisa, Cilandak Town Square, Jl. TB Simatupang Kav. 17, ☎ . Italian restaurant. Menu: salad, pasta, spaghetti, pizza, sandwich, Opening hours: 10.00 AM - Midnight. approx. US$ 9/person.
- Spaghetti House, Mall Pondok Indah Lt. 2, ☎ . Italian restaurant. Menu: salad, seafood, pasta, lasagna, spaghetti, sandwich, pizza macaroni, risotto. Opening hours: 10AM to 10PM. US$ 9/person.
- Mangkok Putih, Stage Kemang, Jl. Kemang Raya/66, South Jakarta, ☎ . Chinese restaurant. Menu: noodle, soup, fried rice, chicken hainan. Opening hours: 11AM to 10PM. approx. US$ 5/person.
- Over Rice, Cilandak Town Square, Lt 2, ☎ . Chinese & Thai restaurant. Menu: Thai BBQ Beef, Mango Salad, BlackPepper Beef, Shrimp Mayonnaise, Salt & Spicy Calamary,etc. Opening hours: 10.00 AM - Midnight. approx. US$ 3/person.
- Red Ginger, Cilandak Town Square 1st Floor, TB Simatupang Kav 17 - Jakarta Selatan, ☎ . Chinese restaurant. Menu: canton duck, hainan rice, fried rice, tom yan, kung pao, tofu, gurame fish, roast duck, juice. Opening hours: 11.00 AM to 10.30 PM. approx. US$ 6/person.
- Sapo Oriental Restaurant, Pondok Indah Mall 2nd Fl, ☎ . Chinese restaurant specializing in claypot (sapo) dishes from Rp 20,000. Opening hours: 11.00 AM to Midnight.
- Bakmi Gang Kelinci, Wijaya II BI F/17-18, ☎ . Noodle restaurant. Menu: noodle, rice noodle. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Bakmi Metropolitan, Jl W. Monginsidi 67C Tel.: +62 21 7280 0181. Jl. Dr Satrio 275, Tel.: +62 21 522 4126. Sea Food and noodle restaurant. Menu: noodle, tofu, fried chicken, prawn, crab, fish, soup, salad. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Bakmi Naga, Kalibata Raya Mal, Tel.: +62 21 7973805, Ambasador Mall GF 61-62 - Tel.: +62 21 5760437. Noodle restaurant. Menu: noodle, soup, fried rice, fish, prawn. Opening hours: 09.00 AM to 10.00 PM. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Wwwok! Noodle, Jl. Kemang Raya No.9 Jakarta Selatan 12730, ☎ , fax: . Noodle restaurant. Menu: noodles, yang dishes, broth, porridge, fried rice. mantau, wonton. Opening hours: 11.30 AM - Midnight. Price: approx.: US$ 6/person.
- Beppu Menkan, Pondok Indah Mal, ☎ . Japanese noodle restaurant. Menu: gyoza, tofu, prawn, ramen, udon, tempura, teriyaki. Price: approx. US$ 7/person.
- Hurry Curry Tokyo, Auto Mall #1.14-15.JL. Sudirman, Jakarta 12190, ☎ . Japanese restaurant. Menu: soup, salad, spaghetti, curries. Opening hours: 10.00 AM to 10.00 PM. Price: approx. US$ 6/person.
- Bee Bim Bab, Pondok Indah Mall 2, 3 rd Fl No. 343 A, ☎ . Korean restaurant. Menu: kalbi, bulgogi, bokum, fried rice, bab jun, noodles, soup, kimchi. Opening hours: 11AM to 11PM. approx. US$ 7/person.
- Akbar Tandoori and Curry, Plaza senayan Lt. 3, Jl. Asia Afrika, South Jakarta, ☎ . Indian restaurant. Menu: tandoories, curries, salad, bread, biryani. Opening hours: 09.30 AM to 09.00 PM. US$ 5/person.
- Tandoori, Jl. RS Fatmawati 12, Jakarta Selatan, ☎ . Indian and Pakistan restaurant. Menu: biryani, curry, tanduri, masala, lamb, beef qima, seafood, salad, dals, bread, martabak. Opening hours: 10AM to 10PM. US$ 5/person.
- Sanamluang Thai, AutoMall - Jl. Jend. Sudirman St. Kav 52-53 Lot 6 Tel. : +62 21 5154 077, South Jakarta City 12190. Thai restaurant. Menu: Thai Steak, Chicken Pandan, Thai Fried Rice, Tom Yang Soup, Price :approx. US$ 5/person
- Sup Sip, Darmawangsa Square, G-62/01, Jl Darmawangsa VI/9, Jakarta Selatan, ☎ . Thai restaurant. Menu: soup, salad, beef, chicken, duck, fish, seafood, curry, tofu, noodles. Opening hours: 11AM to 10PM. approx. US$ 7/person.
- Thai Kitchen, Jl. Panglima Polim IX No.19, Jakarta Selatan, ☎ . Thai restaurant. Menu: tom yum kai soup, salads, seafood, curry, noodle, cashew chicken, beef phrig khing. Drink: fruit juices. approx. US$ 6/person.
- Pho 2000, Jl Metro Pd Indah Pondok Indah Mall II/334-A, ☎ . Vietnamese restaurant. Menu: spring rolls, salad, noodle soup, grilled beef, fried chicken, rice vermicelli noodle. approx. US$ 5/person.
- De Plum Bistro, Kemang Arcade, Jl. Kemang Raya 20A, South Jakarta, ☎ . Malaysian restaurant. Menu: soup, salad, curry, grilled chicken, rendang, semur, noodles, nonya food, seafood, burger, steak. Opening hours: 11AM to 11PM. approx. US$ 9/person.
- Penang, Jl. Sultan Iskandar Muda 99L, Pondok Indah, ☎ . Malaysian restaurant. Menu: noodle, kwee teow, fried rice, porridge, canai bread, prawn, yong to fu. Drink: fruit juices, o peng, tarik tea. Opening hours: 10AM to 10PM. approx. US$ 4/person.
- La Fontaine, Jl Brawijaya Raya no18, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta Selatan. Tel 723 6566, International restaurant. Menu: soup, salad, bitter ballen, onion ring, teriyaki, chicken, pasta. Opening hours: 11AM - 11PM. Price: approx. US$ 5/person.
- Naked Fish, Grand Wijaya Center G-33 Jl. Wijaya No. 2 Jakarta Selatan, ☎ , fax: . Seafood restaurant. Menu: grilled fish, prawn, calamari, BBQ squid, salmon, crab. approx. US$ 8/person.
- Mbok Berek, Jl. Prof. Soepomo 14 Tebet, Tel.: +62 21 829 5366, Jl. Metro Duta 5-6 Pondok Indah, Tel.: +62 21 525 4595. Traditional fried chicken restaurant. Menu: fried chicken, gudeg, gado-gado (salad with peanut sauce), salad. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Ny Suharti, Jl. Kesehatan Raya No. 4, Bintaro, Tel.: +62 21 735 4214, Jl. JI. Kapt. Tendean No. 13, Tel.: +62 21 525 4595. Traditional fried chicken chain. Menu: fried chicken, gudeg, fried rice. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Wong Solo, ☎ . Kafe Taman Semanggi. Traditional grilled chicken chain. Menu: grilled chicken, fried fish, prawn, tom yam, salad. Opening hours: 10.00 AM to 10.30 PM. Note: many women's rights activists boycott this place, because the restaurant owner aggressively promotes polygamy approx. US$ 4/person.
- Kafe Sunda, HR Rasuna Said Kav 62 Setiabudi Building I, Lt. 1, # A202-203B, Jakarta Selatan, Tel.: +62 21 5227558. Traditional West Java/Sunda restaurant. Menu: oxtail soup, timbel rice, fried rice, chicken soup, fried chicken, salad, sambal, fried fish, mixed fruit. Opening hours: 11AM to 10PM. Price: approx. US$ 7/person.
- Balado Fish, Ikan Balado, Jl Ampera Raya 50, Cilandak, South Jakarta, ☎ . Traditional Padang restaurant. Menu: fried chicken, gulai, fish, sambal, soup, fried rice. Drink: fruit juice, soft drink. Opening hours: 8AM to 10PM. approx. US$ 4/person.
- Sarimande Metropolitan, Jl.Raya Pasar Minggu No.1, ☎ . Traditional Padang restaurant. Menu: gulai, fried chicken, grilled chicken, rendang, fish, sambal, prawn, salad. Opening hours: 08.00 AM to 09.30 PM. approx. US$ 7/person, except rendang US$ 14.
- Chamoe-Chamoe, Jl. Panglima Polim IV, No.51, Kebayoran Baru, ☎ . Traditional North Sulawesi/Manado restaurant, slightly tuned for the local palate — no pork, bat or alcohol — but still spicy and tasty. The house speciality is ikan bakar woku (Manado-style herbal baked fish), but also try the breneibon (kidney bean soup) and the zippy ayam rica-rica (chicken with chili sauce). Most dishes around Rp 20-30,000. approx. US$ 7/person.
- Saung Galah, Jl. Wolter Monginsidi No.77, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, ☎ . Tradional Indonesian restaurant, serves different varieties of Indonesian food(Javanese, Sudanese, Manado, etc) in a unique settings. You can see and choose the menu from the display and it will be served to your table. Clean and cozy place also very cheap also. The food range from Rp.3,000-12,000 except the house specialty Gulai Kepala Ikan Krapu which cost around Rp.150,000. approx. US$4-5/person.
- Marco Padang Grill, Setiabudi One, 1st Floor Unit B 212-216; Lotte Shopping Avenue 3rd Floor Unit 16 & A08, ☎ . , All branches 10:00-21:00. The facade that bears only the name Marco will mistake you for an Italian restaurant, but it's for the name of the owner, Marco Lim, who is a chef himself. Modern and premium style Padang restaurant, cheap made-by-order dishes, customizable according to your diet. Do not miss the Baramundi Panggang Pacak, the Rendang Itam, or the Nasi Sayo. Mains from Rp25,000.
- Ajihara, Jl. Melawai IX No. 3A, Blok M, South Jakarta, tel +62 21 7201340, +62 21 7220687. Long-running and very authentic Japanese eatery that specializes in hand-made noodles (around Rp 40,000 a bowl) but offers a mind-bogglingly large selection of other dishes, most of them excellent. Ask the chef for recommendations if you can't read Japanese. Open daily for lunch (11 AM-2 PM) and dinner (6 PM-11:30 PM).
- Furaibo, Setia Budi Building 1/5A. Jl Rasuna Said; Tel.: +62 21 520 7074, Jl Kemang Raya no5 2-F; Tel.: +62 21 719 6836, Cilandak Town Square. Tel.: +62 21 7592 0246. Japanese restaurant. Menu: fried chicken, steak, fish, wasabi, seafood, yakitori, kushiyaki, salad, tofu, curry. Opening hours: 11.30 AM to 11.00 PM. Price: approx. US$ 14/person.
- Oishi, Jl. Kemang Raya 2, Jakarta Selatan 12730, ☎ , fax: . Japanese restaurant. Menu: udon, ramen, tempura, soba, bento, steak, teppanyaki, sushi, maki, sashimi, sushi. Opening hours: 11AM to 11PM. approx. US$ 16/person.
- Wasabi Sushi Bar, Stage Kemang, Jl. Kemang Raya 66, ☎ . Japanese restaurant. Menu: salad, soup, tempura, yakiniku, teriyaki, sushi, bento, sashimi. Opening hours: 11AM to 10PM. approx. US$ 18/person.
- Jittlada, Jl. Sultan Agung 10, South Jakarta, Tel.: +62 21 8296126, Fax.: +62 21 8303938, Thai restaurant. Menu: salad, soup, curry, fried chicken, fish, crab, prawn lobster. Opening hours: 11.00 AM to 02.30 PM, 6.00 PM to 10.00 PM. Price: approx. US$ 21/person.
- Tamnak Thai, Kemang Raya (Plaza Adorama), Jakarta selatan, ☎ . Thai restaurant. Menu: salad, soup, prawn, lobster, squid, crab, asparagus, fish, sapo soya bean curd, fried chicken, duck, grilled beef. Opening hours: 11.30 AM to 03.00 PM, 05.30 PM to 10.00 PM. approx. US$ 22/person.
- Kinara, Jl. Kemang Raya 78B, Jakarta Selatan 12730, ☎ , fax: . Indian restaurant. Menu: lamb, chicken, salad, tandoori, soup, seafood, breads. One of the best Indian restaurant in Jakarta. Opening hours: 12.00 - 02.30 PM, 06.30 PM - 10.00 PM. Price: approx. US$ 16/person, except Lobster Mughlai US$ 45.
- Anatolia, Jl. Kemang Raya 110 A, South Jakarta, ☎ . Turkish restaurant. Menu: hummus, borek, salatasi, ekmegi, pilavi, kebabs. Turkish belly dancing show: every Fri, Sat. Opening hours: 11.30 AM to 02.00 PM, 06.00 PM to 11.00 PM. approx. US$ 22/person.
- Casablanca, Jl Kemang Raya 12-16 Jakarta 12730, ☎ . Moroccan Restaurant. Menu: soup, cous cous, tajines, fish. Opening hours: 12.00 to 23.00. approx. US$ 15/person.
- Shisha Cafe, Jl. Wijaya IX No. 3 B, South Jakarta, ☎ . Modern but pleasant Middle Eastern food, with the full range of mezze (Rp. 10,000-20,000) and kebabs (Rp. 30,000 up) and no less than 15 varieties of flavored water pipe tobacco, from cappuccino to coconut. Indoor (aircon) and outdoor seating, belly dancing on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Fischer Wharf, Dharmawangsa Square City Walk Lt. 1 No. 65-66, Jl. Dharmawangsa IX, Jakarta Selatan 12160, ☎ . Seafood restaurant. Menu: shrimp, crab cakes, calamari, fillet of salmon, snapper, tuna. chicken mango quesadilla, charcoal grilled entrecote. Drinks: strawberry breeze, guava goodness, mango tango, beer.
- Steak Hotel by Holycow!, Jalan Bakti No.15, Senopati. from Rp65,000. This is a carnivore's paradise! Nothing but steaks and meat, but the specialty is the wagyu steaks. Prices are within reasonable range comparing to eating a wagyu steak elsewhere!
Jl. Palatehan 1 (just to the left of Blok M busway terminal and the bus station) is regarded as Jakarta's Thai-style "entertainment district", with many bars and many girls inside looking for single men. While much more quiet than in Pattaya or Nana Plaza/Soi Cowboy in Bangkok, the atmosphere in these bars (not spoiled by money-splashing tourists and more popular among local expats) is more friendly, with most girls less pushy to buy them drinks or take them home. So, the place is perfectly OK to visit if your target is just to drink some beer, watch the action around (and often live music on the stage too) and talk with girls.
Besides that, other places to drink are usually bars associated with the restaurants (not the cheapest ones, however), several entertainment/shopping areas (such as Plaza Senayan or Kemang Raya), and bars/clubs in upscale hotels.
- Blowfish & Puro, Jl. Jendral Gatot Subroto Kav.42, City Plaza at Wisma Mulia, ☎ . Avant garde design.
- Champions, Jl. Kemang Raya No. 10, ☎ . A huge bar with sports theme, live music. Specialty: melted cheese covered nachos. Drink: beers, fruit juices. Facility: 4 gigantic television screens.
- D's Place, Jl. Falatehan I No. 1 C., Blok M, ☎ . 6PM to 2AM. Facility: nice bar downstairs, a small pool annex, dance floor upstairs, nightly dance competition.
- Debasic, Jl. Melawai Raya No. 73, Jakarta Selatan., ☎ , fax: . Facility: bar, live music (hip hop, retro and jazz), restaurant, discotheque. Drinks: fine wine, cocktail, liquer based coffee, Debasic Sensation, Strawberry Basic Margarita, Long Basic Island. Specialty: Caesar Salad, Goulash Soup, Calamari Calypso, Entrecote Conosierre, Veal Escallop St. debasic, Deep Fried Oxtail.
- Eastern Promise, Jl Kemang Raya No. 5, ☎ . Favorite expat hangout, nice bar with Indian/English restaurant, pool table,darts, big screen, big outdoor garden with live music: every Wednesday live jazz, weekends rock/pop/blues or latin, price: moderate
- Everest, Jl. Falatehan I/12K, ☎ , fax: . A thematic bar that has expatriates (and a few locals) hanging out. Happy hour at 9PM with different activities every day.
- Red Square, Plaza Senayan Arcadia，Unit X-105，Jl. New Delhi No.9., ☎ . Jakarta's first vodka bar, in chic black and red, serves up all sorts of vodka-based cocktails (how about a Bloody Red Square?) plus "fusion Russian" cuisine with items like Russian Bruschetta and Borscht Buntut. There are dancers and fire-juggling bartenders most nights at 11 PM. Open from 11:30 AM to past midnight, most cocktails from Rp 50,000 up.
- Sportsmans Bar, Jl Falatehan I 8, ☎ . Downstairs: bar with a pool table and a counter. There is a restaurant on the back of the bar and another counter on the left. Upstairs: pool table and a restaurant.
South Jakarta is the second choice for travelers staying in Jakarta. As the case in central Jakarta, most hotels especially the splurge rates, are in line with office buildings for the convenience of business travelers. The Kemang area, as an entertainment area, also has decent selection of hotels.
- Graha Wisata Youth Hostel, Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said, South Jakarta, ☎ . Managed by the government of Jakarta, the location is central enough for your commute to any point in Jakarta. Perfect for backpackers. Very basic facilities. From Rp50,000.
- 1 Jusenny, Jl. Senayan 29, Blok S, Kebayoran Baru,, ☎ . Basic hotel with minimally adequate facilities in rooms. Rooms and other parts of the interior may look grim to some, if not many. From Rp250,000.
- 2 NEO Tendean, Jl. Wolter Monginsidi No. 131, ☎ . Eco friendly hotel meets modern style. For the price, the room is comparably small. Room only, no restaurants. From Rp300,000.
- Penginapan Cipulir, Jl. Ciledug Raya No. 59, Cipulir, Kebayoran Lama, Jakarta 12230., ☎ , fax: . A quality budget hotel, rate includes basic breakfast. Laundry service based on weight. From Rp180,000.
- Tendean Residence, Jl. Kapten Tendean no. 127, ☎ . From Rp350,000. Studio style rooms with balcony. Pantry at every floor and outdoor terrace at selected floors. Having that said, no breakfast provided apart from cup noodles.
- 3 Amaroossa Cosmo, Jl. Pangeran Antasari No.9a-b, ☎ . Located within the Pasar Minggu area. Wide rooms with mirrors on the wall behind the bed. Large restaurant and coffee shop for a banquet or informal meeting. From Rp600,000.
- Ambhara, Jl. Iskandarsyah Raya No 1, ☎ , fax: . Right across Pasaraya Grande. Medium hotel with spacious chambers, if not slightly minimally designed. Decent breakfast at the café, unwind at the tea lounge or the Baron's English Pub. From Rp650,000.
- 4 Arion Swiss Belhotel Kemang, Jl. Kemang Raya No.7, ☎ . One of the best hotels at the Kemang Avenue. Large rooms facing either Kemang or the skylines. Decent breakfast at the cafés, but do not forget to have lunch or dinner at the friendly Kemang's restaurants. End the night with a live bar at the basement. From Rp1,000,000.
- 5 Avissa Suites, Jl. Karet Pedurenan No. 19,, ☎ . Situated behind the Ambassador Mall. Boutique style hotel with modern style rooms. You can iron two of your items per day for free! Decent, if not small, breakfast options. From Rp500,000.
- 6 Harris Hotel Tebet, Jl. Dr Saharjo no. 191, ☎ . Minutes away from Kota Kasablanka. Hints of orange in color throughout the building. Minimalist style rooms with minimum but provides at least the essential facilities. Good helping of breakfast at its only café. A prime place for a business meeting because of its location. From Rp600,000.
- 7 The Maritim Guest House, Jalan Maritim Raya No. 2, ☎ . A bed and breakfast that makes an intimate moment with the owners (Ita & Don). Adequate rooms with fans, not AC! From US$45 per night.
- 8 Park Lane, Jalan Casablanca No. 18, Kuningan, ☎ . Five-star hotel with less than five-star prices. Old on the outside but don't be fooled, refurbished inside. Good location within the CBD and huge breakfast buffet. All in one dining at RIVA (Grill, Bar, and terrace), weekly live acoustic at the bar for entertainment or a night of jamming dance by the DJs. From Rp1,400,000.
- 9 Rasuna Icon, Jalan Karet Pedurenan No. 3. Within walking distance to the Rasuna Said office strips. Minimalist interior. Its restaurant has a bar and a indoor and outdoor seating area, be careful with mosquitos as even the indoor area is exposed to the outdoor air. From Rp600,000.
- 10 Royal Kuningan, Jl Kuningan Persada Kav 2, ☎ . Within immediate distance to Rasuna Said, it's a value for money! No frills business hotel with minimalist designed furniture. The Galley Restaurant said to try its special ribs. The library bar entertains the heart with live music performances while you sink to books or newspapers. From Rp850,000.
Most of hotels within this price range are within the Kuningan area.
- 11 Crowne Plaza, Jl. Gatot Subroto Kav. 1-B,, ☎ , fax: . Located at the mouth of Sudirman Avenue. Decent hotel with standard and old rooms. The Maroush is one of the few Middle Eastern restaurants within a hotel in Jakarta. From Rp1,200,000.
- 12 The Dharmawangsa, Jl. Brawijaya Raya No. 26, Kebayoran Baru, ☎ . A short quiet hotel in the suburbs (almost city-like) within walking distance (use a shortcut) to Kemang, perfect for honeymooners or leisure travelers. Each room has a personal butler with Javanese standard hospitality. The rooms are wide (except for the small TV), while the bathroom has a large tub and a his and hers sink. Dine at the many delectable restaurants of the hotel or delight yourself with the chocolate martini and many other collections of cognac and spirits at the bar. For a pamper, head to the spa, to the pool (both indoor and outdoor), or just see the garden. From Rp3,000,000.
- 13 Four Seasons, Jalan H.R. Rasuna Said, Kuningan,, ☎ , fax: . Conveniently located at the corner of Menteng, at the Kuningan business area. Grand rooms with scenic views of Jakarta's office towers. A chic steakhouse or a roundtable Chinese restaurant for a dining option, many lounges for a snack or drink — The Bar hosts a tango, slow rock or jazz night once a week each. From Rp2,000,000.
- 14 Gran Mahakam, Jalan Mahakam I No.6, ☎ . A premium hotel at the Blok M area. Classical interior with grand rooms and restaurants. Rates do not include breakfast, but it includes an exceptional selection. Its restaurants, Le Gran and Aoki, are well-known despite is priciness, inviting diners from even outside the hotel to delight themselves. From Rp3,000,000.
- 15 Gran Melia, Jl. HR. Rasuna Said Kav. X-O,, ☎ , fax: . Minimalist design rooms. Plenty of international cuisine options, especially for breakfast. Superlative Japanese restaurant with tatami rooms and special counters for grilled dishes, while the Chinese department offers Sichuan and Cantonese delights. From Rp2,500,000.
- 16 JS Luwansa Hotel and Convention Center, Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said Kav. C-22, ☎ . A cheaper alternative of splurge hotels in the heart of the Rasuna skylines. A booking of its suite entitles you to a next level of hospitality at the Ambassador Club on the 20th floor. All day dining at Olaf, night dining at that restaurant plus Shammah or a poolside bar. The built in convention center is large enough to fit 1500 rooms in the grand ballroom, along with 14 meeting rooms. From Rp1,300,000.
- 17 JW Marriott, Jl. DR. Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung Kav. E 1.2 No. 1 & 2, ☎ . Secluded in the Mega Kuningan ring road, traffic might not be a big hassle once approaching the hotel. Opulent yet tasteful decoration, huge rooms and many suites, with broadband and wireless internet. 3 restaurants (Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese) are expensive but has expansive menus. Wi-Fi free for Marriott members only. From Rp2,000,000.
- 18 Kemang Icon by Alila, Jl. Kemang Raya no. 1, ☎ . Boutique style all-suites hotel at the Kemang area. Each suite is designed differently so it can be a surprise for each visit. All relaxing facilities are at the upper floors: a tranquil restaurant and a pool up the stairs. From Rp1,800,000.
- 19 Kristal, Jalan Tarogong Raya, Cilandak, ☎ . Serviced apartment style hotel near Pondok Indah. Many facilities including a dive course and equipment shop, coin operated laundry, a salon, gift shop and physiotherapy. Enticing live acoustic at the bar every night. From Rp1,500,000.
- 20 Ritz-Carlton, Jl. DR. Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung Kav.E.1.1 no.1, Mega Kuningan, ☎ . The flagship hotel of the Ritz Carlton brand in Jakarta, with standard 5 star service. Bathrooms have floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the other skyscrapers popping up in this fast-growing area. Many types of suites to choose from. Free wireless internet. Only has 2 restaurants (Italian and international) and a bar, but generally enough to fit everyone. From Rp2,700,000.
- 21 Oakwood Premier Cozomo, Jl. Dr. Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung, Blok E4.2 No 1, Mega Kuningan, ☎ . Serviced apartments available for even a one night rent. Generally perfect for a family. Should you want to eat, cook at home with groceries (or pre-made meals) from Ranch Market downstairs. There are also a few restaurants on ground level and first floor, or its own house restaurant. Separate fee applied for Wi-Fi. One bedroom from Rp2,000,000.
- Ambulance: 118.
- Police: 110.
- South Jakarta Police Station: Jl. Wijaya II, Tel.: +62 21 7206004, +62 21 7206011, +62 21 7221205.
List of hospitals with 24 hours emergency room (ER):
- RS Fatmawati, Jl. RS Fatmawati, Cilandak, Tel.: +62 21 7501524, Fax.: +62 21 7690123.
- RS Pusat Pertamina, Jl Kyai Maja No. 43 Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12120, Tel. +62 21 7219232, +62 21 7219366, +62 21 7219214, +62 21 7208693.
- RS Pondok Indah, Jl . Metro Duta Kav. UE, Tel.: +62 21 765 7525, Fax. +62 21 750 2324.
- RS Metropolitan Medical Centre (MMC) Jl. Rasuna Said Kav. C-21 Kuningan, Tel.: +62 21 5203435, Fax.: +62 21 5203417.
- RS Medistra, Jl . Gatot Subroto Kay. 59 Jakarta 12950, Tel. +62 21 5210200, +62 21 5210212, +62 21 5210214. Fax: +62 21 5210184.
- RS Jakarta, Jl . Jend. Sudirman Kav. 49, Tel.: +62 21 573 2241, +62 21 573 2243. Fax.: +62 21 571 0249.
- In East Jakarta, you can find the Taman Mini theme park, which is centred around the culture of Indonesia and its provinces.
- The spacious campus of the University of Indonesia can be found just south of the city in Depok.
- About 60 km south of Jakarta is the city of Bogor, known for its extensive botanical gardens.
|Routes through South Jakarta|
|Anyer ← East Jakarta ←||W E||→ Depok → Panarukan|