Panarukan is a town and district on the north coast of East Java, Indonesia.
The district of Panarukan is located in the regency of Situbondo, just west of the regency capital Situbondo. Panarukan is located at the mouth of the Sampean river, at the Java Sea coast.
The town is known as being the eastern terminus of the Great Post Road (Grote Postweg in Dutch, Jalan Raya Pos in Indonesian), the historical road built during the Dutch colonial time in the early 19th century. The road runs from Anyer on Java's west coast to Panarukan (about 1,000 km), which was a relatively important sea port. Later the road has been extended to Banyuwangi further to the east, but Panarukan is generally seen as the official eastern end.
- 1 Benteng Panaroekan. The ruins of a 19th century fort built by the Dutch. There is not much left, only some walls 1-5 meters high. It is located near a cemetery.
- 2 Monumen 1000 km Anyer Panarukan. A monument marking the end of the Great Post Road.
- 3 Tugu Portugis. A 3-meter-tall monument which is the last remnant of Portuguese presence in the area. It is located in the middle of rice fields. The Portuguese came and built a trading post on the eastern bank of Sampeyan River in the 16th century.
- Banyuwangi — city at the easternmost tip of Java, with access to the Ijen Crater.
- Baluran National Park — the dormant Mount Baluran volcano and beautiful white sand beaches.
|Routes through Panarukan|
|Anyer ← Probolinggo ←||W E||→ END|