This port city has an extensive fishing industry and is the nearest town of any size to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park. Since the National Park can be visited as a day trip from here, this tends to be the main draw for visitors since there is little else of interest.
Be sure to go all the way to the main 1 Bus Terminal, 6 km south-west of the centre, instead of getting dropped off at some travel agent (who will pay the driver a commission). Purchase any tickets directly at the bus terminal (or inside the bus after it leaves), as the local travel agents are notoriously mercenary and will happily charge you multiples of the real price and/or issue fake return tickets.
Minibuses to Cemoro Lawang, the nearest settlement to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru_National_Park leave from outside the terminal and take about an hour and a half. They have 15 seats and leave when they are full. Rp 500,000 for the whole minibus (Rp 35,000 per person).
The 2 Train Station is located in the city center. There are trains from/to Surabaya, Yogyakarta, Banyuwangi, and more. A local bemo from the Train Station to the Bus Station (or opposite) will cost you approximately Rp 4,000 per person.
- 1 Candi Jabung (Jabung Temple) (5km east of the village of Kraksaan, nr Probolinggo). A restored Buddhist temple which dates from 1354 and which is mentioned as one of the places visited by mighty King Hayam Wuruk in 1359.
Rafting at Pekalen River
The location is about one hour drive from Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park where the Pekalen river cuts the town. Up to grade 3+, you will encounter many bat caves along its cliff and some small waterfalls. Most operators ask you to choose one of the 2 sections that take 1.5-2.5 hours but you can have both if you ask. Each section has its own unique scenery and challenge that will make your white water rafting experience in any case unforgettable. All fares include safety equipment, transport to the start and from the finish line, as well as food and beverages.
- Noars rafting, Adityawarman 70, 2nd floor, Surabaya, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Songa adventure, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Lower Pekalen, 1.5 to 2 hours: Rp 279,000/person. Upper Pekalen, 2 to 2.5 hours: Rp 319,000/person. All prices minimum of 5 person.
Probolinggo is famous for sweet, green mangoes, known as mangga manalagi. Some people also call them mangga arumanis. Because these types of mango still have a green skin even when mature, you need to press them softly and smell them to determine their ripeness. You might want to only eat half of these mangoes, because they're large with a high fibre content.
- Tongas Asri, Jl. Raya Tongas Km 84 (along the road from Pasuruan to Probolinggo). Cavernous but popular eatery offering a wide range of East Javanese specialities like nasi rames and soto madura. English menu available, mains around Rp10,000.
For people to see sunrise at Mount Bromo, it is better to sleep at nearest Bromo area, although you have to spend more money or you will late of sunrise moment.
- Bromo Permai, l Panglima Sudirman 327, ☏ . Very popular with budget travellers heading to Bromo-Semeru. Has a range of accommodation but all of it is clean, if basic. From about Rp 90,000.
- Hotel Tampiarto Plaza, Jl Suroyo 15. Mid range hotel with a nice pool and 24hr restaurant. From Rp 200,000.
- Bromo Sunrise Homestay, Jl. Raya Bromo Triwung Kidul (1 km to the south from Probolinggo Terminal), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 10.00 WIB, check-out: 12.00 WIB. A cheap, comfortable homestay. Simple bed and breakfast near public transport going to Bromo. from 50.000 (dormitory room).
- Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park. Minibuses to Cemoro Lawang leave from outside the Bus Terminal.
- Bondowoso, the western gateway to the Ijen Plateau.
- Banyuwangi, the eastern gateway to the Ijen Plateau, as well as ferries to Bali.
|Routes through Probolinggo|
|Anyer ← Pasuruan ←||W E||→ Panarukan → END|