Towns and villages
- 3 Pigadia (Πηγάδια) – also known as Karpathos is the main town and port, in the east coast.
- 4 Aperi (Απέρι) – in the mainland, isolated village.
- 5 Arkasa (Αρκάσα) – on the western coast, lies on the site of an ancient city.
- 6 Menetes (Μενετες)
Greek is the native language of the people of Karpathos. However, most people also speak passable English and many speak German or other European languages.
Public buses operate throughout the islands.
There are taxis available until 2AM, then only one or two.
You can rent a car or a motor scooter. Asphalt roads run across the west coast of the island. Roads in the interior turn out to be little more than dirt paths.
Motorbikes and mopeds are popular alternatives to cars. Especially mopeds are frequently used by local youths and can go to many places that cars cannot go - for example the twisted narrow streets of Karpathos City. An additional advantage is that they are cheap to rent - €10-15 a day is the usual price.
If you start a day-trip with a moped, make you sure you do so on a full tank, as gas stations are sometimes hard to find. An extra stop at a gas station can save a lot of nerves. When renting a moped, check if the profile of the tyres is ok and if the brakes work properly. If it is the last vehicle in store, be suspicious - it could be the one that needs a repair badly. Though helmets are not required on the streets, it might be a good idea to ask your rent-a-bike for one, especially if you intend to drive on streets with more traffic.
Be careful when driving to places like Olympos, it can be very windy in open spaces/roads.
- The villages: Avlona, Menetes, Olymbos, Aperi and Pyles. The islands: Saria and Kasos.
- 15 August: 3 days celebration in Menetes.
- Karpathian weddings.
- Karpathian Easter in Menetes village.
- Scuba diving
- Windsurfing. Karpathos is one of the best destinations for windsurfers in Greece. Beginners can take lessons in Chicken Bay, other spots will satisfy more advanced riders.
There is a good variety of beaches on Karpathos. The south-west side of the island has sandy beaches with calm waters. The wind mostly comes in from the west and also the sea tends to be somewhat rougher to the west.
- Amopi 5 km from the town is the most popular and friendly place for all in karpathos island have 5 beaches where you can find everything from the party beach, the family beach, the quiet beach next to you. There are taveras, markets, bus every hour or so, and taxi station. The prices for one umbrella and 2 chairs is €6 per day, the prices in tavernas are logical, all the beaches are free for all, and the beaches are Mikri (small) and Megal (large). Votsalakia beach in front of votsalakia beach hotel, Kastelia in front of Aegean village hotel, Maounas in front of Kastelia bay hotel.
- Afiartis , 15 km from the town is a very good place for wind surfing.
- Achata beach 15 km from town, further to the North, is a pebble beach ith deep waters.
- Kyra Panaya beach 12 km from town, named after Madonna, is situated between rocks capes. To swim in its deep waters demands caution.
- Apella 20 km from town.
- Agios Mynas beach 20 km from town in the north of Karpathos, although isolated, has become more and more popular, however the prices of restaurants and chartering of deckchair and beach umbrellas have risen a lot.
- Arkasa a well-organized beach in Arkasa southwest of Pigadia. It is one of the best beaches of the island with sandy beach with nice white sand and shallow sea while it is very popular because of big wave. There are sunbeds, umbrellas, and showers.
restaurants and it is reachable by car.
- Lefkos it's on the east coast 25 km from the town.
- Jewelry stores are common in the island.
- Colorful sea shells are a popular souvenir item.
- Many brand name products for sale in the tourist shops. In Karpathos tax is only 6%.
- Locally made olive oil, sweets, honey, handmade boots, etc.
You can eat local food like makarounes and other plates in many tavernas and restaurants, but it is not all original recipes. Fresh fish at Sokaki Ambrosia restaurant is a must try
- Paralia Joy Restaurant & Beach Bar. On the sand at St. Nicholas Beach in the village of Arkasa. Great place to eat a salad or sandwich in between swimming and sun bathing!
The tap water is drinkable and restaurants will serve glasses of ice water upon request. Local drinks include Mythos (beer) and Ouzo. The prices for alcohol are low.
- Afiartis 2 (New Sofia Studios), Afiartis, ☏ , fax: . A friendly complex of holiday apartments in one of well known and attractive tourist destinations of Karpathos.
- Alkioni Hotel, Finiki, ☏ , fax: . At Finiki village, near Arkassa village, SW on the island of Karpathos.
- Arkasa Palace Villas, Arkasa, ☏ , fax: . Traditional Greek hospitality combined with calm, relaxed atmosphere in an elegant setting.
- Helios Hotel, Lakki, Ammopi, ☏ , fax: . Next to the beach of Ammoopi, 7 km from capital of Karpathos Island (Pigadia) and 10 km from the main airport.
- [dead link] Kyra Panagia Hotel, Kyra Panagia, ☏ . A nice hotel in Kyra Panagia beach.
- Luxurious Arkasa Bay, Arkasa, ☏ . 4-star hotel with sea and sunset views.
Karpathos is a generally safe destination.