Central Kathmandu covers Ratna Park, the former palace and New Road, and is home to a number of luxury hotels and the embassy quarter.
Most buses and micro-buses start and end their journeys in or around Ratna Park Bus Station, which is located in Central Kathmandu.
- 1 Budda Neelkantha Temple, Budhanilkantha (5-6 km from Main Bus Park, Kathmandu.). An idol of Bhagwan Vishnu in a sleeping position surrounded by water is calmimg experience.
- 2 Evangelical Ashish Church, Samakhushi - Ranibari Rd.
- 3 Dharma Chakra Vihar, Dharma Chakra Marga.
- J Art Gallery (near the Royal Palace in Durbarmarg). Displays the artwork of eminent, established Nepalese painters.
- 4 Junga Bahadur Statue, Prithvi Path.
- Kaiser Library
- 5 Kuleshor Mahadev Temple, Kuleshwor Marg (Near to Riverbank).
- Machali Mandir, Teku (Nava Durga Temple), Kalopul Road (50 m before Tripura Marg). A small two storey pagoda
- 6 Matrikeshwor Mahadev, Kanti Path. Middle of Rani Pokhari Pond
- Asa Archives (located in Kulambhulu). Specialising in medieval history and religious traditions of the Kathmandu Valley. The archives have a collection of some 6,000 loose-leaf handwritten books and 1,000 palm-leaf manuscripts (mostly in Sanskrit or Nepal Bhasa) and a manuscript dated to 1464.
- City Museum Kathmandu, Paryatak Marg.
- BP Koirala Memorial Planetorium Observatory and Science Museum, Kirtipur Rd,
- 7 Narayanhiti Palace Museum (in the north-central part of Kathmandu). Narayanhity" comes from Narayana, a form of the Hindu god Lord Vishnu, and Hiti, meaning "water spout" (Vishnu's temple is located opposite the palace, and the water spout is located east of the main entrance to the precinct). Narayanhity was a new palace, in front of the old palace built in 1915, and was built in 1970 in the form of a contemporary Pagoda. It was built on the occasion of the marriage of King Birenda Bir Bikram Shah, then heir apparent to the throne. The palace area covers (30 hectares) and is fully secured with gates on all sides. This is the former Royal palace which was turned partly into a museum, and partly into the Foreign Ministry in 2009 after the abolition of the monarchy. Now you can visit the splendid Halls of the main building of the palace. Giant fruit bats hanging from the tall trees and 20 foot-tall bamboo around the otherwise modern (and still well secured) former palace are a sight, especially around sunset when the bats depart en masse. Foreigners: Rs500.
- Nepal Children's Art Museum, Hattisar Sadak (0.8 km NE), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 11:00-17:00, Sa Su 12:00-16:00.
- National Art Gallery.
- NAFA Gallery. This is housed in Sita Bhavan, a neo-classical old Rana palace.
- Nepal Art Council Gallery (in the Babar Mahal, on the way to Tribhuvan International Airport). This gallery contains artwork of both national and international artists and extensive halls regularly used for art exhibitions
- Taragaon Museum, Boudhnath, Tridevi Sadak (In the compound of the Hyatt Regency Kathmandu stands the former Taragaon Hotel,), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 10:00-17:00, Su 10:00-17:00. turn it into a do umentation centre documenting what artists, photographers, architects, anthropologists and Samskritists from abroad had contributed in the second half of the 20th century to identify, highlight and preserve the cultural heritage of the Kathmandu Valley.
- Tribhuvan Museum. contains artifacts related to the King Tribhuvan (1906–1955). It has a variety of pieces including his personal belongings, letters and papers, memorabilia related to events he was involved in and a rare collection of photos and paintings of the Royal family.
- 1 Russian Centre of Science and Culture (Russian: Российский Центр Науки и Культуры), Pashupati Marga, Block No. 1055/31, Kamal Pokhari, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Office Hours: M-Th 09:00-18:00, F 09:00-17:00, Lunch Hours: 14:00-15:00.
- 2 Kumari Cinema Hall (QFX Kumari), Dhobidhara Marg.
- 3 Bishwajyoti Cinema (Bishwajyoti hall), Jamal, Kathmandu.
- Guna Cinema (Guna Cinema), Gwarko, Ringroad.
- 4 Baisdhara park, Balaju (West from Gongabu Bus Park).
- 5 Bhrikuti Mandap Park (Bhrikutimandi), Pradarshani Marg.
- 6 Bhugol Park, Dharma Path, New Road (Naya Sadak).
- 7 Fun Park, Pradarshani Chakra (Right next to Bhrikuti Mandap Park).
- 8 Maitighar Mandala Park (Near to Thapathali Engineering Campus).
- 9 UN Park, Shiva Marga (Bagmati Riverside).
- 10 Ratna Park, Kanti Path, Durbar Marg (Ratna Park Micro Bus Stop).
- Sankha Park, Dhumbarahi. close to Ring Road
- 11 Dasharath Rangasala Stadium, Tripureshwor, Kathmandu (Tripureshwor Bus Stop).
- 12 National Table Tennis Training Center, Lainchaur Marg.
- 13 T U Cricket Stadium, T U, Kirtipur.
- ANFA Complex, Satdobato, Lalitpur.
- 14 Mandala Theatre, Anamanagar (Infront Singhdurbar's East Gate), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. +Mobile: 9849132746
- 15 National Theatre (Rastriya Naach Ghar), Kantipath.
- Tribhuvan University Central Library, Tribhuvan University. One of the largest libraries in Nepal situated within Tribhuvan University premise at Kirtipur. You can get there by regular bus or micro-bus for Kirtipur. Has a large collection of old and new books, journals and newspapers.
- Kathmandu Valley Library (In Brikutimandap opposite of Mahendra Police Club).
- The Himalayan Healers inside Hotel Lion, next to Radisson Hotel, Lazimpat, offers 500 hours of internationally accredited massage therapy training. Along with being featured on CNN as a "Top 28 Spa in Asia", they were also recognized as "Top 10 Philanthropic Cause" by Asia Spa.
Most of Kathamandu's large shopping complexes are located in the central area of the city. Also, the streets and alleys between New Road and Chhetrapati are packed with small shops selling (non-tourist) T shirts, bags, and clothes.
- Ekta Books - Huge collection of almost all types of books is found in Ekta Books which is in Thapathali near Norvic Hospital.
- Mandala Book Point, ☏ . Kantipath. Probably the best for all types of reference, academic texts, tourist books and maps. Mandala also publishes books on sociology, anthropology, culture, politics and history of Nepal. It also a centre for most scholars visiting Nepal and patrons are encouraged to take part in the lively and informative discussions that frequently occur in the shop in the evening. The most reliable shop for The Economist and International Herald Tribune. Located on the east side of Kantipath just south of the Mountain Hotel and Nabil Bank building
- Quixote's Cove: the bookshop, ☏ . Jawalakhel. Located next to New Orleans Cafe in Jawalakhel, this bookshop is housed in an old 1930s building and combines a great collection of fiction with a marvelously cosy environment.
- 1 Bhat Bhateni Shopping Mall. A big Supermarket
- 2 City Center Mall (Nepal Life City Centre), Pashupati Road, Kamal Pokhari, (Near Kamal Pokhari Police Station), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00-20:00. also email email@example.com A five-storey shopping mall is centrally Air-conditioned. - International Branded Show Rooms - Electronic, Mobile, Camera. - Readymade section - Wedding Floor (Sarees, Ornaments, Boutique, Beauty corner, Palour), - Food Court (Chinese, Korean, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese dishes), Gaming zone.
- 3 Kathmandu Mall, Sundhara Marg.
- 4 Pashupati Plaza, Khechapukhu Sadak.
- 5 People's Plaza, Kichhapokhari,Newroad1 (Pukhudha Marg), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. On Working Days: 10AM - 5PM, On Holidays: 10AM - 10PM. Electronic Accessories (one shop), Gents Ladies and kids (two shop), Gents Wear (six shops), Ladies Wear (nine shops), Shoe's shop (seven units), Food Court
- 6 Star Mall, Dhobidhara Marg (Bus to stop Putali Sadak).
- 7 Swiss International, Jamal Road.
- 8 Jame Market, Durbar Marg (Next to Jame Mosque).
- 9 Kuleshor Fruit Market, Kuleshwor Marg (West 200m of Kuleshor Mahadev Temple).
- Angan, on the corner behind the King's statue roundabout. A good place to have ice cream (NPR35), Indian traditional sweets or freshly prepared Masala Dhosa which is curry in a crisp savory crêpe, NPR65-75. Sweets in the front, fast food restaurant in the back. The bhel poori is spicy. This is the heart of the Nepalis' upmarket shopping district, where New Road and Dharma Path meet. Walk west from here on the pedestrian street to Freak Street, the outdoor craft market, the old 'Red Palace' and the many temples of Durbar square.
- Bawarchi Superb Indian and Chinese food, specializing in kathi rolls which are a fried, flat bread wrap with spicy meat, paneer or veg filling. Great for lunchtime snacks or evening meals. Their three locations can be found opposite the Ambassador Hotel on Lazimpat; on the Maharajgunj, near the UNHCR and American Embassy; and in the Barryo Fiesta foodcourt next to Mike's Breakfast. One of the few expatriate-friendly restaurants offering delivery.
- Chez Caroline. Just off the main Thapathali junction, near the old parliament building. Excellent French food and salads. 700-900 for a main. Ask a taxi driver to find it.
- Mike's Breakfast, Lazimpat Near Standard Chartered. A brisk 15 minute walk from Thamel Taxi Stand, but confusing with one-way streets. Good pancakes alongside with other meals. Mostly outdoor tables under bamboo shelters + available indoor screened dining.
- New Natraj Tandoori Cheap, plentiful and delicious Indian food. Not to be confused with the Natraj tandoori a few doors down. Opposite the Shangri-La hotel on Lazimpat.
- Pizza Express While not quite on par with Roadhouse Cafe or Fire and Ice, Pizza Express makes a tasty product from their locations in Lazimpat (216-1212) and in Basantbur Plaza (423-2777). They are unique in that they are the only mainstream pizza shop with delivery in Kathmandu. The fast-food style decor and focus on delivery and take-out are reflected both in their prices and quick service.
- 1 Sandlewood Cafe, Park Lane, Lalitpur (South of Bagmati River).
- Wunjala Moskva Tucked away in Naxal district, delicious Newari food in a beautiful setting; performances on the courtyard of the restaurant, and unlimited shots of local booze.
- Bakery Cafe Also serves good coffee at some outlets. The one in Sundhara (near Dharahara) has the best. The chain also has one of the best espresso equipment around, hence the good quality.
- Magic Beans at Kingsway. There's an open lounge called Sherpa Mall and when you enter it, Magic Beans is on the first floor to the right side. A lot of varieties, and quick service. Accompanied by soft music, mostly pop and soft-rock.
- Mike's Breakfast, Lazimpat Near Standard Chartered Bank. Get unlimited refills of fresh ground drip coffee for Rs.75.
- Red Mud Coffee (formerly The Coffee Point) at Thapathali Road. On the east side, within the Trade Tower Nepal (TTN) complex, opposite the Rashtra Banijya Bank, before Nepal Rastra bank and beside Khadya Sangsthan (Nepal Food Corporation). Offer different coffees. Wi-fi and a calm atmosphere.
- 1 Attic Bar, Gahana Pokhari Marg (Next to Shanker Hotel).
- 2 Irish Pub Lazimpat, Ananda Bhawan, Uttar Dhoka Sadak (Near to Shanker Hotel). Irish dishes, a great variety of beer (also Guinness) and whisky (international and local), Irish Coffee (also Creamy Irish Coffee) cocktails, mocktails, energy cocktails, summer cocktails, shooters (try "Irish Flag"). During the cold season, you can also find "hot winter drinks". Friday nights live music, dart. Well trained, friendly staff. Run under German management.
- Hotel Ambassador, Lazimbat, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Rooms are good, clean and comfortable, as long as the window does not face the main street. It is about 10 minutes walking from Thamel, so the environment is not as hectic, but the bars are still at a walking distance. It includes unlimited free use of internet in the two computers on the lobby NPR2500 Per person in double room.
- 1 Dream Nepal Hotel and Apartment, Amrit Marg, near to Brahmakumari Marg, ☏ . Suite Room Sgl /Dbl: US$ 70/80, Studio Apartment Sgl /Dbl: US$ 80/180, Deluxe Room Sgl /Dbl: US$ 50/60.
- Kathmandu Resort Hotel, Sagarmatha Bazar, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Has clean and relatively quiet rooms. Special rooms in top floor have small garden area. Free internet and friendly staff. Other facilities in room include air-con, TV, hot water, clean and comfortable. Some rooms have balconies. 1,500-2,500NPR.
- 2 Hotel Annapurna, Durbar Marg, Godhuli Marg (Airport Shuttle Fee: US$ 12 + taxes, Estimated Taxi Fare: Nrs. 500 (one way)), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. From USD100.
- Dwarika's, Battisputali (on the intersection Pashupatinath - Airport 200 m along the road to Battisputali), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A fair four-star hotel with unique charm of old newari palace architecture. Has a swimming pool and the renowned restaurant "Krishnarpan" which serves elaborate multi course Nepali dinner (only on reservation)..
- Hotel Annapurna, PO Box 140, Durbar Marg, ☏ , fax: . Four-star international hotel with all the amenities. Good conference facilities. Wi-Fi and business centre are expensive. Starting from 10,000NPR/night.
- 3 Hotel Kaze, Kamalpokhari-1,, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. +977-1-4420737 Standard Room Sgl/Dbl USD 60 / 80, Deluxe Room.Sgl/Dbl USD 80 / 100, Extra bed USD 35 (only in deluxe room), Breakfast / Lunch or Dinner USD 6 / 10.
- 4 The Malla Hotel, Lekhnath Marg, ☏ , , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. From USD170.
- 5 Radisson Hotel Kathmandu, Lazimpat, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hotel Soaltee Crowne Plaza, Tahachal, western side of Kathmandu. Five star hotel. It also has Al Fresco, the most authentic Italian restaurant in Kathmandu. Although the hotel is rated as a 5 star, it takes a generous person to give it that rating, however that is relative to the other hotels. Double confirm your rooms for preferences (smoking or non-smoking) and do not get a ground floor room. USD96-600.
- Hyatt Regency Kathmandu, PO Box 9609, Taragaon, Boudha (10 km from the city centre of Kathmandu, on the road to Baudha Stupa), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 5 star hotel with 290 rooms and suites. Has a health and beauty spa, swimming pool, wading pool for children and an outdoor whirlpool. 4 km from Tribhuvan International Airport and within walking distance of Baudha Stupa.
- 6 Shangri-La Hotel, Lazimpat Rd, Lazimpat (North of Danish Embassy. 5-minute walk from Thamel and Durbar Marg. It is 3 miles from Harati Devi Temple, and the significant Pashupati Nath Temple is 6.5 km. Tribhuvan International Airport is about 6.5 km.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Inclusive breakfast & airport pick up. Room service. A comfortable seating area and cable TV are included and all rooms are fully air-conditioned. Free Wi-Fi. Massage option at the spa. 24 hour concierge. Deluxe room/Executive club room/ Junior suite room UUSD105 / 120 / 210.
- 7 The Shanker Hotel, PO BOX 350, Lazimpat (Just behind the Royal Palace Museum North Gate), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. - Formerly a Rana palace bought over in 1964. Luxurious 100 year old palace hotel. 4.5 acre property in the heart of the city. A typically Nepali Maharaja's Palace. Starts at USD 80. 20% discount for online bookings..
- Yak and Yeti. A five star hotel located in a converted palace on Durbar Marg. This is a landmark since Nepal first opened to tourism at the end of WW II. At that time the King was living in exile in Kolkata and was ask to return to govern the nation. He asked Boris Lesonavich, a Russian also in exile to come to Nepal and establish tourist accommodation in Kathmandu. He established the Palace Hotel in a large Rana's palace that was available. He named the nar "The Yak and Yeti". Early Everest expeditions put up there and used the grounds to organise their gear for the climb. The present hotel is at an old palace, that was at one time the foreign post office for Kathmandu. The present day hotel was built up around and incorporating the old buildings.
- 3 rooms by Pauline, Tanka Prasad Ghumti Sadak, Kathmandu 44600 (In Babarmahal revisited), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.