Kaya is a town in North Burkina Faso
100km northeast of Ouaga. The population is mostly Mossi, so Moore is the primary language.
Kaya is the leather capital of Burkina, though San Francisco is a better bet if you're looking for whips, chaps and slings: check out the artisans market right at the front of the grand marché (near the round point).
- OA: 1500cfa one-way, a car leaves every hour from 6:30 until 20:00, goes to centre-ville.
- Sogebaf stops on the paved road (on the way to Dori/Gorom-Gorom) and bush taxis can be found along the Kaya-Ouaga route.
- Regional football games at Le Stade
- Cinema (secteur 1)
- Swimming pool at Hotel Zinoogo, if you don't mind not being able to see the bottom.
In centre-ville, in front of the round point (with the white horse). Depending on the season you can get practically all fruits, veggies, and house supplies (buckets, mattresses, etc.).
Zam’s Alimentation: in front of the Total station on the main road; can get tuna, toilet paper, variety of cookies, alcohol, notebooks, etc.
Various: in front of the marché, next to the marché, across from the bar L’Amitié. Prices (approximate): 1500 CFA for a skirt, 1000 CFA for a man’s shirt, 3000 CFA for a complet.
Boutique 'Monchique', au Restaurant 'Pierini
There's plenty of food stalls in the city centre, many are clustered around the market and outside of La Liberté. Most serves brochettes.
- La Liberté (best food at lunch)
- Trois Luttes
- Zinoogo – service takes forever so come prepared to wait (you can watch MTV and Eurosport TV)
- 1 Restaurant Pierini. Serves French cuisine.
- La Liberté
- Nicole’s Dad’s Bar (by the cinema)
- 'Restaurant Pierini
- 1 Hotel Zinoogo (In Secteur 4). From 4000 CFA (PCV rate).
- Hotel Kaziende (Behind the market.). With A/C, expensive.
Located at the top of a hill, past the round point, past the CHR (hospital) and Musée de Kaya. Hours: Monday – Friday: 7:30-12:30, 15:00-16:30. Taking money out is slow (30 minutes to one hour) so be prepared to wait
Across the street from Zam’s next to the Total station: starts after 17:00, prices approx. 1200 CFA/hour and the connection is ok (not wicked fast)