Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kazanlak (Bulgarian: Казанлък, also transliterated as Kazanluk) is a city of about 80,000 people in Northern Thrace, close to the Balkan mountain range and Shipka Pass.
Kazanlak lies in the centre of Rose Valley, a major agricultural area with rose fields, product of which is then extracted to produce rose oil.
It is best to first head to Stara Zagora and take a local bus from there, unless you are already visiting all tiny villages and towns in from of the impressive mountain range.
There is a train line going through Kazanlak, but it might be irregular.
- 1 Thracian tomb of Kazanlak (Казанлъшка гробница). M-Su 09:00-17:00. Near the city is an ancient Thracian tomb dating back to 4th century BOT and is a World Heritage site. Inside the tomb is a narrow corridor opening to a round burial chamber, both of which are decorated with murals depicting a ritual funeral feast. Unfortunately, only a copy can be visited here (in the museum).
However, all other (open) tombs in the region are originals. If you are less interested in an "unoriginal" fresco, head to the Seuthes 2 & 3 and Shushmanets et al. tombs, where you can actually enter the tomb and feel a little like in Egypt. 6 лв.
- The views that can be seen from both the Memorial Church and the Monument on Stoletov Peak, are amazing, unforgettable and a pleasure to the eye.
- Watch the famous Bulgarian rose oil being produced. It is best to visit in May or June, as that's the oil rose harvesting season.
- Rose Festival. beginning of June. Every year, Kazanlak has its famous Rose Festival.
There is a large Roma community in the eastern part of the city, in which travellers may feel uncomfortable and non-locals may be unwelcome—it's best to avoid there altogether.
- Valley of the Thracian Kings – The whole valley around Kazanlak is covered with tombs, some of which can be visited. Many excavations have been done around the site of former Seuthopolis, now the Kazanlak lake.
- Shipka – A village to the northwest, which has an impressive Russian style cathedral built in memory of the Russian soldiers who fell in the Battle of Shipka Pass. Also, the Thracian tombs are more attractive and interesting, all are 6 лв.
- Gabrovo – To the north, across the Balkan Mountains. It has historic sites, a humor museum and impressive shopping and dining opportunities.
- Nature Park Bulgarka – On the north side of the Balkans across from Kazanlak, provides many out door activities opportunities for people who enjoy nature and hiking.