Kenilworth is an attractive historical town in the English county of Warwickshire. Kenilworth grew up around the now-ruined castle that is a striking centrepiece to the town, notable for being the seat of power of revolutionary baron Simon de Montfort.
Exit A46 between Warwick and Coventry onto A452 north into town. A452 continues north towards Birmingham, and south to Leamington Spa.
Stagecoach buses connect Kenilworth to Coventry, Warwick, Warwick University, Leamington Spa, and the British Motor Museum at Gaydon. Change in Coventry for further afield.
- 1 Kenilworth Castle, Castle Green, off Castle Road CV8 1NG (S of village off B4103), ☏ , fax: . Mar-Sept 10:00-18:00, Oct 10:00-17:00, Nov-Dec & Jan-Feb Sa Su 10:00-16:00, Mar 10:00-16:00. An impressive castle ruin, built by the Normans, re-built by the Lancastrians & Elizabethans: its glory days were in the 1570s when Dudley entertained the Queen here, and hoped to marry her. It was dismantled by Cromwell. You enter from the south along a causeway that once dammed a great defensive lake, and was used as a tilt-yard for jousting. Within the ruins are two exhibitions: on the castle's history especially under Dudley, and on the modern Lord Kenilworth, John Davenport Siddeley (1866-1953) the motor & aviation magnate. Adults £12.50, children £7.50, concessions £11.30.
- 1 Priory Theatre, Rosemary Hill, CV8 1BN, ☏ . Community-run theatre, staging comedy, panto and rep.
- 2 Abbey Fields Swimming Pool, Bridge St, CV8 1BP, ☏ . Indoor pool plus summer outdoor Lido.
- 1 The Famous Virgins & Castle, 7 High St CV8 1LY (just N of Abbey Fields), ☏ . M-F 11:00-23:00, Sa 09:00-00:00, Su 09:00-22:30. One of the oldest pubs in Warwickshire. Excellent English and Filipino food. Pub quiz on Monday nights. £5-15.
- 2 The Green Man, 168 Warwick Rd CV8 1HS, ☏ . 10:00-23:00, F Sa to 00:00. Pub in mock-Tudor building, does pizzas, burgers, fish etc.
- 1 Holiday Inn Kenilworth, 212 Abbey End CV8 1ED, ☏ . 3 star, very central. £80.
- 2 Arden Guest House, 21 Queens Rd CV8 1JQ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Four double rooms, one twin, one single, all en-suite.
|Routes through Kenilworth|
|Stratford-upon-Avon ← Warwick ←||SW NE||→ Coventry|