1 Birmingham Airport (BHX IATA) has a wide range of domestic and European flights. Intercontinental destinations include Istanbul, Newark (New Jersey, USA), the Gulf States, Amritsar and Ashgabat in Turkmenistan. By train from the airport to Warwick takes about an hour, changing either in Birmingham or Leamington Spa.
Direct trains run between Warwick and London Marylebone (90 mins), Birmingham Snow Hill and Moor Street stations (30 mins), and Stratford-upon-Avon (30 mins), all operated by Chiltern Railways . Other long distance services involve changing in Birmingham or Leamington Spa.
Warwick is a 2 hr drive north-west from London on the M40. The usual approach for the castle and centre is to exit at Junction 13 and follow A425 north to town.
- 1 Warwick Castle, CV34 6AH. Daily Oct-Mar 10:00-17:00, Apr-Sep 10:00-18:00. Medieval fortress, now part of Merlin Entertainments, who also run Madame Tussauds, Alton Towers, Legoland, Chessington, Blackpool Tower . . . so whether your heart sinks or soars at this corporate portfolio will tell you whether their concept of life in Warwick Castle is for you. Extra charges for the haunted tower and dungeon, where medieval unfortunates were trapped, too poor to exit through the gift shop. Demand-priced: adult day-ticket from £18 online, £27 walk-up, annual pass £25.
- 2 Lord Leycester Hospital, High Street CV34 4BH, ☏ . Tue-Sun Apr-Sep 10:00-17:00, Oct-Mar to 16:00. "Hospital" here means hospitality, shelter or hospice. The oldest parts are Norman, but since Elizabethan times it's been - and remains - a retirement home for ex-servicemen. Charming set of 14th C timber-framed buildings, the main areas being the Guildhall, Brethrens' Kitchen, and Knot Garden. Adults £8.50.
- 3 Collegiate Church of St Mary, Old Square CV34 4RA, ☏ . M-Sa 100:00-16:30, Su 12:30-16:30. Founded in the 12th C; the fine 14th C Beauchamp chapel is the burial place of the Earls of Warwick. The Nave and Tower were rebuilt 17th C after the Great Fire. Free, donations please; £3 to climb Tower.
- 4 Market Hall Museum (Warwickshire Museum), Market Place CV34 4SA. Tu-Sa 10:00-17:00, plus Apr-Sep Su 10:00-1700. Early life in the city and surrounding country. Free.
- 5 St John's House Museum, St Johns CV34 4NF. Apr-Sep M-Sa 10:00-17:00, Nov-Mar Tu-Sa 10:00-16:00. Set in a Jacobean mansion, this is only open school holidays - term time it's booked out for school use. It covers Victorian life, and incorporates the museum of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment of Fusiliers. Free.
- 6 [dead link] St. Giles Church, Chesterton CV33 9LG (7 miles SE of Warwick. By car take Harbury Lane, becomes Chesterton Rd, turn right onto Windmill Hill Lane, then left onto The Green), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This striking castle of a church was founded in the 11th century and restored in the 19th century. It used to serve the village of Chesterton, but the population died or fled when the plague hit in the 13th century.
- 7 British Motor Museum, Banbury Road, Gaydon CV35 0BJ (8 miles SE of Warwick, exit M40 at Jcn 12, take B4451 / B4100). Daily 10:00-17:00. World's largest collection of historic British cars. Adult £14, family £39, extra for events.
- 1 Warwick Racecourse, Hampton Street, CV34 6HN. This is nowadays a National Hunt course ie "steeple-chasing" or jumps / hurdles, with regular race meetings during winter. Flat racing is no longer held here. The racecourse is at the west edge of town centre.
- 1 The Wild Boar, 27 Lakin Rd CV34 5BU (100 m N of Warwick railway station), ☏ . Mo-Th 12:00-23:30, Fr Sa 12:00-00:30, Su 12:00-22:30. A genial place with its own "Slaughterhouse" micro-brewery. A wide range of home-brewed and other ales are on offer. Compact and cosy, can feel "snug" ie crowded. limited menu of food but the pies are good.
- 1 Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford Rd, CV34 6TW (2 miles south of the city centre), ☏ .
- 2 The Warwick Arms Hotel, 17 High St, CV34 4AT, ☏ .
- Park Cottage, 113 West St, Warwick CV34 6AH, ☏ . Charming B&B in 15th century timber-frame cottage next to castle entrance. B&B double £100.
|Routes through Warwick|
|Birmingham ← ←||NW SE||→ Banbury → London|
|Stratford-upon-Avon ← Leamington Spa ←||SW NE||→ Kenilworth → Coventry|