Warwick [dead link] (pronounced "WORR-ick") is the historic county town of the English county of Warwickshire, situated on the River Avon and probably best known for its imposing and well-preserved medieval castle and other relics of the past within the town. Population 27,000.
Warwick was founded in 914.
2 Birmingham Airport (BHX IATA), is larger and not too far away and serves the region with frequent domestic and international flights. There are several direct arrivals a day from all major UK and European destinations, and one or two from more far-flung places such as Delhi, Dubai (twice daily), Islamabad, Luxor, New York and Toronto.
Warwick is approximately a 2 hr drive north-west of London on the M40 (Junction 13). Watch for signs taking you off the motorway to the town and castle.
A train service is operated to Warwick from London (Marylebone) and Birmingham (Snow Hill and Moor Street stations) by Chiltern Railways . NB: It is important that you get off the train at 3 Warwick station, not Warwick Parkway station. During the daytime, there are normally two trains per hour on weekdays.
- 1 Warwick Castle. Open daily October–March 10am-5pm, April–September 10am-6pm, closed Christmas Day only, last admission 1/2 hr before closing; complicated seasonal pricing plan: adults £12.95 - £16.95, child £7.95 - £8.95, family £34 - £45; senior and student concessions available; car parking £2.50 - £5. - one of the premier tourist attractions of the country, the former medieval fortress of Warwick Castle is now run by Madame Tussauds (of London Waxworks Museum fame), with effective reconstructions of life in the castle through the centuries. Don't forget to visit the haunted tower and the dungeon! Although an impressive piece of historic architectures now has more a modern theme park feel.
- 2 Lord Leycester Hospital, High Street., ☎ . Tue-Sun 10:00-16.30. A retirememt home for ex-servicemen, in a historic set of timber-framed buildings dating mainly from the late 14th Century, with a 12th century chapel. It has never been a hospital in the modern medical sense of the word, but somewhere offering hospitality. £4.90.
- 3 Collegiate Church of St Mary, Old Square, ☎ . Noted for its medieval Beauchamp chapel, burial place of the earls of Warwick, the remnant of the Great Fire which destroyed much of Warwick in 1694.
- 5 St John's House Museum, St Johns, CV34 4NF. Winter: Tue – Sat 10.00am – 4.00pm; Summer: Mon – Sat 10.00am – 5.00pm Sun 11:30am – 5:00pm. free.
- 6 St. Giles Church, Chesterton, Warwickshire CV33 9LG (About 7 miles to the south-east of Warwick. If you are driving, take Harbury Lane [which turns into Chesterton Rd] till you reach Windmill Hill Lane, then turn right [your only possible turn there]. The church will be on your left.), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This striking castle of a church was founded in the 11th century and restored in the 19th century. Chesterton is now a tiny village but was more populous before the plague hit in the 13th century.
- 7 British Motor Museum, Banbury Road, Gaydon. World's largest collection of historic British cars
Warwick is also well known for Warwick Racecourse, located near the west gate of the medieval town.
- The Wild Boar, 27 Lakin Road (Stagecoach buses stop outside the pub. Also very close is Warwick Station (NOT Warwick Parkway Station) Exit using the subway and use the Hospital exit. Go down the steps and turn right up the road (not the back alley) after 100 yards or so you come to a junction; look left & you'll see the pub.), ☎ . Mo-Th 12:00-23:30 Fr-Sa 12:00-00:30 Su 12:00-22:30. A genial place with its own brewery in a room overlooked by the compact snug. A wide range of ales are on offer; both from its own labours and also from an ever-changing range of other breweries, near & far. It's not a big place, so can feel busy, but that's part of the attraction & the welcome is always warm. A limited menu of food is available, although the pies are delicious. The pub has become something of a community hub, hosting quiz nights, comedy night and its own film society.
- 1 Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford Rd, CV34 6TW (2 miles south of the city centre), ☎ .
- 2 The Warwick Arms Hotel, 17 High St, CV34 4AT, ☎ .